Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

11th June 1990. Twenty Years On

• 11-06-2010 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭

Ireland played England in their first ever game at a World Cup Finals.

Do you Remember it ? (I Do)
    Where Were You ? (My Front Room)
    How Did You Celebrate ? (We All Had to wear Green to School the next Day)

Jack & Co. Thanks for the Memories !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Remember it like yesterday and now I feel terribly old.

"And Sheedy wins it back and Sheedy shoots.....its' there!!" I lifted my kid brother up into the air when that hit the back of the net. And I was only 12 :D

Just the fact that 4 pts off England in 2 games at E88 and WC90 makes me very proud.

Edit: Sorry it was only 2 pts for a win back in those days. Feel older now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

nice!

I remember watching it at home, the whole family going mental when sheedy scored,
    I remember being very worried about Chris Waddle for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Remember it well. I was 11 and I cried. Funny, cuz all the way up to that day I could never understand why Wimbledon winners cried. Open winners cried. League Champions cried. Winners cried. Sadness to me up until then was associated with crying.

I learnt a hell of a lot day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I had never heard of Cameroon before that tournament either. Asked my teacher to find out where it was on the globe.

Then again I was only 7. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I dont remember this match. I do however remember the Italian match , I was Five at the time. I Remember my aunty coming over to my house after the match , coming into the front-room and saying **** that schillichi bastard anyway !!!!!! I also remember my mother giving out to her :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

3:30

Can't help think how Steve Staunton's legacy has been destroyed. He was there that night, was there for our biggest ever games, playing a massive part and he'll only ever be remember for being The Gaffer.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Ireland played England in their first ever game at a World Cup Finals.

Do you Remember it ? (I Do)
    Where Were You ? (My Front Room)
    How Did You Celebrate ? (We All Had to wear Green to School the next Day)

Jack & Co. Thanks for the Memories !

i was an impressionable young 7 year old and after witnessing the drama of the previous year at anfield with Michael Thomas and co, this was a whole new world opened up to me. i can remember Lineker's lucky goal and then Sheedy's awesome strike.

we also wore green next day....we had no bloody choice it was our uniform... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I was watching it in the Mercantile in Sydney, the only Irish bar on the rocks. It was packed, but there were about 3 English muppets near me, and fúck me they were real muppets.

They left immediately after Sheedy scored! :D

Advertisement