Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anybody else notice?

• 11-06-2010 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

On the geography paper today, there was a question on the earthquake in Haiti... Hmm... That was in January of this year... So the common belief that papers are set in november is just a myth!!
    What does this mean for our predictions in french and irish!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Yes i was startled by that alright, oh well nice little question

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I was surprised at that as well. I thought Haiti was after that. Rethinks Irish essays.

Actually, what is the Irish for earthquakes? I know its something like les tremblements in French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

yeah i was so shocked!! and the diagram was so bad, i had no idea where the hell the boundaries were or anything :( as for irish, I hope the comps contain new news stories, coz then i can actually understand what they are asking me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

They are set before Christmas , but they wouldnt be printed til way after so i'd say its pretty easy to add something?

Wasn't there a crash about 2 or 3 years about where a load of teenagers died , and on that year's original paper there was some related comprehension or something to road safety/crashes etc (i think it was Irish ) so they took it off?

I was surprised at that as well. I thought Haiti was after that. Rethinks Irish essays. Actually, what is the Irish for earthquakes?

crith talun = earthquake , in case it comes up in a comprehension!

The title would be something about environment/the world today i'd say ( * i hope * !! )

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RyanK

I didn't see it coming. But to be fair, the questions on it were simple enough. I'm suprised the added such a recent even on the paper though. I know for Economics they are very up to date on the paper though... Incase you're doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

I never heard it was Nov, Always Jan!!

perhaps some in Nov

Irish paper in Jan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fuzzel

Actually, what is the Irish for earthquakes? I know its something like les tremblements in French.

In french it's un tremblement de terre. Haven't got a clue what the Irish is as I go foundation Irish :) (while hoping for an A1 in honours French :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

PARARORY wrote: »
    Wasn't there a crash about 2 or 3 years about where a load of teenagers died , and on that year's original paper there was some related comprehension or something to road safety/crashes etc (i think it was Irish ) so they took it off
    it wasn't taken off, that's what caused the controversy, must have been really upsetting for anyone in that school

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

it wasn't taken off, that's what caused the controversy, must have been really upsetting for anyone in that school

Oh sorry - my bad , yeah they should have really used the contingency paper or something..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

They are set before Christmas , but they wouldnt be printed til way after so i'd say its pretty easy to add something?

Wasn't there a crash about 2 or 3 years about where a load of teenagers died , and on that year's original paper there was some related comprehension or something to road safety/crashes etc (i think it was Irish ) so they took it off?

Nope, they they gave that paper out, and got a lot of criticism for not switching to the back up papers.

The bus crash was in Navan in 2005, for what it's worth.
    Oh sorry - my bad , yeah they should have really used the contingency paper or something..

Should have, but what happened happened. They can just learn from their mistakes and be quick off the mark, to be able to make these sort of switches. Which, of course, they didn't, based on last year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    The bus crash was in Navan in 2005, for what it's worth.

And Offaly bus crash 2006, same school year.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

On the geography paper today, there was a question on the earthquake in Haiti... Hmm... That was in January of this year... So the common belief that papers are set in november is just a myth!!
    What does this mean for our predictions in french and irish!?

It's my belief (I think my teacher told me...) that they set half the papers in oct/nov and the other half in jan/feb...??

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Hmm yeh noticed that too.
    Was forced to do that question by the metamorphic rocks with landform development. Nasty nasty examiners :pac: I know very little about metamorphic rocks nearly laughed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Noticed but i think the sec had to put the haiti earthquake on somewhere because it was one of the biggest natural disasters in years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The papers are drafted the previous year but there are editing meetings which can make changes before printing. It's probable that given the extent of the Haitian earthquake, they substituted a question on it for another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

that metamorphics rock question stopped a good few people being able to do the landform question which was quite unfair...i did the haiti one aswell :rolleyes: liked that exam actually

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

what was the answer to the q's anyways ?

Advertisement