Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teva, a bit of positive news hopefully

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Aquos76 wrote: »
    http://www.wlrfm.ie/tabId/269/itemId/2132/Teva-agreement-hammered-out-at-LRC.aspx

Now lads and lassies, I am prepared to leave this thread progress for a few days, however if it ends up like the previous one I will close it just as quick

Now behave:)

I'd expect it will have to be put to a vote now (with the recommendation of the committee).

• Registered Users Posts: 36 urhavinalaugh

At last it looks like they are coming to there senses ,fair dues to the all concerned ,there is no point in making this a personal battle between personalities on both sides ,hats off to the mediator .

After its been a stressful time for the workers since September 09 ,on the day the people were told that the tablet plant was closing for good ,and that Teva would remain in Waterford in the Inhalation manufacture side of the business.

Now that the company have agreed to increase the number of roles that can be filled by the people entitled to move from Solid dose to Inhalations it should allow the people who are not transferring to avail of the 8 week redundancy package , which is the least they deserve after serving the company well and making it the profitable company that they are today.

Hopefully this deal will now be excepted and people can move on with there lives with or without Teva .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 d_j

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Blaaface

Great news and will be voted in on the next vote. The Union did their job and got extra people to avail of this very good redundancy package and also created more jobs for people who need to stay in work.
    I wonder if those people who created the hysteria and namecalling on the last thread will now see the Union were correct to look for the extra jobs as the Labour court finally got the company to sit down and compromise with the Union which is what they were after all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

Blaaface wrote: »
    Great news and will be voted in on the next vote. The Union did their job and got extra people to avail of this very good redundancy package and also created more jobs for people who need to stay in work.
    I wonder if those people who created the hysteria and namecalling on the last thread will now see the Union were correct to look for the extra jobs as the Labour court finally got the company to sit down and compromise with the Union which is what they were after all along.

Ah, I'm pretty sure they didnt create any extra jobs. Its just different people will be getting left go now...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

That's my understanding of it too.

Creamsoda wrote: »
    Ah, I'm pretty sure they didnt create any extra jobs. Its just different people will be getting left go now...

True. Maybe you could say 'saved' jobs in the sense that some people who don't want to be let go wont, and others who want to go, can.

I don't work there, but I think people should bear this in mind. It is an Israeli company, and regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation over there, the mood is shifting against them. If there is some sort of boycott it could affect their ability to produce in Ireland.

Solely based on this I'm not too confident of their long term prospects, though maybe they would sell off the plant.

Creamsoda wrote: »

Ah fair enough, what i meant by creating extra jobs was the people who wanted to go through Seniority from Inhalations can go and the people who wanted to stay through Seniority can stay which is the right thing to do.

dayshah wrote: »
    Solely based on this I'm not too confident of their long term prospects, though maybe they would sell off the plant.

It's pretty known that when the licence has expired in the Inhalations factory that they are going to shut up shop and head somewhere where they can make it cheaper, in fact they're building these factories at the moment.

It's pretty known that when the licence has expired in the Inhalations factory that they are going to shut up shop and head somewhere where they can make it cheaper, in fact they're building these factories at the moment.

Is the machinery in the inhalations plant worth much.

At the moment the union has bargaining leverage because they can disrupt the plant TEVA wants to keep going for the moment. If they decide to close everything the union will have less power and it would be hard to negotiate 8 weeks again in a few years time. Of course TEVA might consider using the plant for something else, or sell it on as a functioning factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

At the moment the union has bargaining leverage because they can disrupt the plant TEVA wants to keep going for the moment. If they decide to close everything the union will have less power and it would be hard to negotiate 8 weeks again in a few years time. Of course TEVA might consider using the plant for something else, or sell it on as a functioning factory.

The machinery in the inhalation plant is worth a good bit. There are about 10 lines there and they all cost millions, and there is currently plans for 2 new lines to go in in the next year. I couldn't see them selling it as a functioning plant since it is their only inhalations plant owned by Teva (except the ones they are building at the moment) and it would be huge competition for them (currently able to produce approx 1.5million a week) . Hopefully the plant wont close once the licence runs out in 2014, the fact that they are still putting money into the plant might be a good sign but you never know since they still putting money into the tablet plant even after annoucing the closure of the plant. We can only hope as it would be a shame for another 400 people to loose there jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

And you wonder why Waterford has been left behind :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 d_j

Love all the 'expert' opinions, especially from all those peeps who don't even work there!

d_j wrote: »
    Love all the 'expert' opinions, especially from all those peeps who don't even work there!

Yes ,there are so many experts here ,i wonder can they tell me is there any overtime the weekend,and whats on the Canteen menu on Monday !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭freewheeler

Yes Boss wrote: »
    And you wonder why Waterford has been left behind :(
    The only reason that Waterford has been left behind is that we don't have the clout at the top level in government actually which led to a scandalous lack of investment in infrastructure. We had to wait until this year for a decent road to our capital city in fact!! To blame this on our unions is a very narrow minded attitude i think, as they have been merely doing what we pay them to do..to ensure that our rights are respected!

The only reason that Waterford has been left behind is that we don't have the clout at the top level in government actually which led to a scandalous lack of investment in infrastructure. We had to wait until this year for a decent road to our capital city in fact!! To blame this on our unions is a very narrow minded attitude i think, as they have been merely doing what we pay them to do..to ensure that our rights are respected!

Well said ,totally agree !

"At the moment the union has bargaining leverage because they can disrupt the plant TEVA wants to keep going for the moment." (dayshah, 2010).

Is this what you pay them to do??:confused:

I should have said extra bargaining leverage. How is bargaining meant to happen without leverage?

I should have said extra bargaining leverage. How is bargaining meant to happen without leverage?

Contemporary human resource practices are collaborative in nature (win-win situation). The outdated conflict approach seems to be still strong in Waterford!

"At the moment the union has bargaining leverage because they can disrupt the plant TEVA wants to keep going for the moment." (dayshah, 2010).

Is this what you pay them to do??:confused:
    As i stated..their role is protection of workers rights. Nobody here wanted to engage in industrial action, but the managements lack of respect for our elected representatives left us with no choice but to vote for industrial action if necessary..simply as a last resort!

• Advertisement

Contemporary human resource practices are collaborative in nature (win-win situation). The outdated conflict approach seems to be still strong in Waterford!
    From the employers side yes apparently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

justbored wrote: »
    elected representatives

Aren't they are self elected, I never voted for any union reps!

I hope the 5 extra transfers are worth it, all the hassel it has caused!

Firstly our rep. on the union committee was elected by us yes..and secondly i'm sure the extra people who are now likely to be transferred (however many it eventually is) will think it WAS worth it as well as the other concessions which were achieved. and its also worth mentioning that it didn't actually cause any 'hassle' as i don't remember anybody having to take industrial action to achieve this!!!

This post has been deleted.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

What licence?? There is no licence to expire.

Firstly our rep. on the union committee was elected by us yes..and secondly i'm sure the extra people who are now likely to be transferred (however many it eventually is) will think it WAS worth it as well as the other concessions which were achieved. and its also worth mentioning that it didn't actually cause any 'hassle' as i don't remember anybody having to take industrial action to achieve this!!!

What about the people who are losing their jobs in Inhalations because of those transfers? The same amount of people are losing their jobs - they ae just different people. And those now osing their jobs are not the ones who wanted to go as they are the least senior & therefore won't benefit as much from the redundancy package.

And please share with us what these 'other concessions' are.

Bduffman wrote: »

What about the people who are losing their jobs in Inhalations because of those transfers? The same amount of people are losing their jobs - they ae just different people. And those now osing their jobs are not the ones who wanted to go as they are the least senior & therefore won't benefit as much from the redundancy package.

And please share with us what these 'other concessions' are.
    That is the principle of seniority..last in first out..its the fairest system and one which has always applied in these situations. When you are less senior in a job you have to accept that your position is less secure than those with longer service. As regards the other concessions i was referring to the commitment of the company to re-hire those who may have to leave if and when there are vacancies in the future..its by no means a perfect proposal but certainly better than the original.

Wow...there's a turn. The original argument was that the unionised long-termers would only replace people who were in favor of going...Not nice or fair really if they are forcing others out - a little bit disingenuous!!

That is the principle of seniority..last in first out..its the fairest system and one which has always applied in these situations. When you are less senior in a job you have to accept that your position is less secure than those with longer service.
    No, the principle of seniority is fine EVERYTHING ELSE BEING EQUAL. SD & Inhalations are like chalk & cheese.
    As regards the other concessions i was referring to the commitment of the company to re-hire those who may have to leave if and when there are vacancies in the future..its by no means a perfect proposal but certainly better than the original.
    So only ONE other concession then? And thats a BS one as it is not enforceble - the company isn't under any obligation to employ anyone who was crap at their job in the first place.
    Lats face it - theres sod all diference between the original & current agreements. The union just wanted their little victory & as a result have saddled Waterford with a reputation that could ultimately affect Waterford adversely.

• Advertisement

Bduffman wrote: »
    What licence?? There is no licence to expire.

The licence given by the FDA to make the dry powder inhaler in the inhalations factory in Waterford which will expire in 4 years time.

Advertisement