Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Review Thread

Options
  • 12-06-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Thought I would put this up, for people to write about restaurants they have lately been in the Cork countryside. To start:

Restaurant: Sage
    Location Main Street, Midleton.

Was in here maybe a week ago, seemed like a decent addition to the over-large food scene in Midleton. Decent vegetable soup as a start, followed up by a cracking chicken main, with some lovely chorizo plus nicely cooked squash and carrots. Decent chips as well. A nice white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake for dessert. Others had steak, which was as one would expect. One slight against some of the produce though, the potatoes didn't look local, were old and were generally a bit tasteless, the ice-cream with the dessert wasn't homemade and the breast of chicken was fine but not the greatest quality. Other dishes on the menu were Hake and a Salmon burger.

I suppose what makes Sage stand out a little is that it caters to vegetarians more so then other Midleton restaurants and the menu is just a little different. Probably not as good as Finins or O'Donovans but well worth looking at, and probably one of the cheaper restaurants in Midleton as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Ok

Kanturk- The Vintage

Milstreet-nothing wallis arms but stay away its hit and miss.

Macroom- Granvilles or the auld triangle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Garryvoe Hotel is always corking, they went downhill when they started taking the hotel towards a fourth star a few years ago, with smaller portions and trendy plating, but they've gone back to the good old Big Plates Of Niceness now and the service is back to homely again. I'd eat there every week if I could.

Went to Aherne's in Youghal a year or two ago after hearing great things about it, was very disappointed. There was nothing wrong with it per se, but nothing stood out either. Wouldn't go back there.

Anybody been in Cliff House in Ardmore, or Capella Castlemartyr?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

THE CORNSTORE IN CORK IS EXCELLENT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Garryvoe Hotel is always corking, they went downhill when they started taking the hotel towards a fourth star a few years ago, with smaller portions and trendy plating, but they've gone back to the good old Big Plates Of Niceness now and the service is back to homely again. I'd eat there every week if I could.

Are we talking about the bar or the restaurant?
    Went to Aherne's in Youghal a year or two ago after hearing great things about it, was very disappointed. There was nothing wrong with it per se, but nothing stood out either. Wouldn't go back there.

Aherne's is excellent imo, if only for their chips and bread & butter pudding. ;) Bit pricey.
    Anybody been in Cliff House in Ardmore, or Capella Castlemartyr?

Regarding the Capella, been in the golf bar on numerous occasions, fine if you expect decent bar food. Only been in the restaurant once, wasn't impressed but that was a couple of years ago and they've changed the chef a couple of times since. Nice area to go for a walk around anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

overmantle wrote: »
    THE CORNSTORE IN CORK IS EXCELLENT.

I've eaten there twice and was underwhelmed. Not bad and not great.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    Are we talking about the bar or the restaurant?

Doesn't make much of a difference, it's essentially the same food.

dahamsta wrote: »
    Doesn't make much of a difference, it's essentially the same food.

Unless its changed drastically, the bar and restaurant food is completely different, different parts of the hotel with (I presume) different kitchens.

The restaurant menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Unless its changed drastically, the bar and restaurant food is completely different, different parts of the hotel with (I presume) different kitchens.

Just the one kitchen in Garryvoe Hotel, and yes, essentially the same food in the bar and the restaurant - wedding food seems be be inferior to both.

Bar food is good value, restaurant food there not so much.

The menus are different and the restaurant food is slightly more swishy in presentation, but it's the same ingredients prepared in the same kitchen by the same people.

Had plaice in the bar on Friday, damn near exploded afterwards, gorgeous!

adam

• Advertisement

MrsA wrote: »
    Just the one kitchen in Garryvoe Hotel, and yes, essentially the same food in the bar and the restaurant - wedding food seems be be inferior to both.

Bar food is good value, restaurant food there not so much.

They have completely different menus. :confused:

The menus are different and the restaurant food is slightly more swishy in presentation, but it's the same ingredients prepared in the same kitchen by the same people.

Had plaice in the bar on Friday, damn near exploded afterwards, gorgeous!

adam

The important point.

Plaice is nice alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

They have completely different menus. :confused:

Sorry, what I mean is that the same ingredients are used, the same people cook them and the same kitchen is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nolo1

Blairs Inn in Cloghroe is one of the best restaurants in Cork. The menu is varied and the food is consistently good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Thought I would put this up, for people to write about restaurants they have lately been in the Cork countryside. To start:

Restaurant: Sage
    Location Main Street, Midleton.

Was in here maybe a week ago, seemed like a decent addition to the over-large food scene in Midleton. Decent vegetable soup as a start, followed up by a cracking chicken main, with some lovely chorizo plus nicely cooked squash and carrots. Decent chips as well. A nice white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake for dessert. Others had steak, which was as one would expect. One slight against some of the produce though, the potatoes didn't look local, were old and were generally a bit tasteless, the ice-cream with the dessert wasn't homemade and the breast of chicken was fine but not the greatest quality. Other dishes on the menu were Hake and a Salmon burger.

I suppose what makes Sage stand out a little is that it caters to vegetarians more so then other Midleton restaurants and the menu is just a little different. Probably not as good as Finins or O'Donovans but well worth looking at, and probably one of the cheaper restaurants in Midleton as well.

Sage is much better than Finins for both quality of food and price. In fact Sage is one of my favourate reataurants in Midleton. Cheap tasty food thats always prepared fresh.
    Thai Thani is also an excellent restaurant if you like thai food. Sweetcorn cakes a must if you ever go there, devine.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nolo1

Sage is much better than Finins for both quality of food and price. In fact Sage is one of my favourate reataurants in Midleton. Cheap tasty food thats always prepared fresh.
    Thai Thani is also an excellent restaurant if you like thai food. Sweetcorn cakes a must if you ever go there, devine.

Sounds brill! Will check it out over the summer when I'm in East Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

O'Donovans in midleton is excellent imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peteandjenn

'The wild goose' just outside Mallow. Food is just fab with plenty of it served up on big plates and not very expensive at all, roughly about €10 or under for dinner, around €15 for steaks and the best bit you can have a pint with your dinner mmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

'The wild goose' just outside Mallow. Food is just fab with plenty of it served up on big plates and not very expensive at all, roughly about €10 or under for dinner, around €15 for steaks and the best bit you can have a pint with your dinner mmmmmmmmm

Have you being in it latley??? The food is horrible.. We ate there recently and there was a smell of cow dung of the chips.:eek: The place was filthy dirty as well. I got a glass of wine with my dinner and it was like vinegar...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Only problem with it (food is great) is the attitude they have to customers, snobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I lived in Mallow for 2 years, and I can't say I liked the place one bit.
    Apart from the chips, there is absolutely nothing vegetarian on the menu, and absolutely everything is deep-fried.
    I have to say I found it quite revolting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Anybody been in ....Capella Castlemartyr?

Absolutely appalling - although it has changed hands since I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Travelled to Cork City for the weekend but took the notion to go to dinner in Cobh.

Firstly, I have to say I'm surprised at how few restaurants there appears to be in Cobh, given that I would consider it to be well on the tourist map. Anyway, Tradewinds was full, so we happened upon Gilberts. We hadn't booked, so were were asked if we would like to have a drink to see if a table came free, which we decided to do.

To cut a long story short, the service, food and general professionalism of the whole operation was the best I've experienced in many years.

Unfortunately, we were in a bit of a rush but I could have stayed for hours. A little gem of a place. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

SARASON wrote: »

Macroom- Granvilles or the auld triangle.

agree re Granvilles - but Jesus H Christ, what the hell is going on in the Auld Triangle, I was in there yesterday, the old menu is gone and I think that the management think that Macroom is Kinsale, they were seriously pushing the fish menu - some of the dishes were 20 quid a pop - message to the management of the AT - you are going to lose your customers if you continue to charge Celtic Tiger prices for the food you could get before for under a tenner, if I want a 20 quid fish dish, I'll go to Hayfield Manor and have it under silver service thank you - you are serving pub grub, not french cuisine.............we left before we were served and went to the Castle instead (and got 2 main courses for less than a tenner each).............rant over - it kills me to see what was such a lovely place go so downhill

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ocos

Was in Kinsale for the weekend. Great spot.
    Had a fab early bird in Jolas...perfect in every way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

I cant say enough for the rivergate in Youghal. Good food at a very good price and the staff are the best i have ever come across.

Pat Shortts in castlemartyr worth a mention aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 timo87

Dilllons in timoleague is worth a trip if your in the area varied menu, very good seafood and game usually there.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

Can anyone recommend a Chinese take away in Midleton? I've gotten Thai Thanie loads of times (always devine!) but I fancy something different.

I made the mistake of ordering from Jasmine once. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭tinnuvial

Spice in Carrigaline, great Indian food, fresh, tasty and not very expensive. Also Thairish do a great fry up and also do a great Pad Thai, not your normal range of specialties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Haven't been to Blairs Inn for years but glad to hear it's still good.:)

Advertisement