Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious?

• 12-06-2010 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm just curious, is it a myth or does you're whole leaving cert get cancelled if you get caught cheating. Does anybody have any stories about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

JK

But seriously, all I can say is if you are thinking about it, STOP

As far as I know no only can your whole leaving cert be cancelled, but you can be banned from sitting any other state examination for years/ever
    (i.e. You may have to wait years before being allowed to repeat!)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

possible.
    heard of a girl getting her paper cancelled for absentmindedly checking the time on her phone in exam.
    and the thing is you might not even find out on the day, the superintendant doesnt have to tell you, just the SEC. you'd get a letter in mid july to inform you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Getting caught cheating can have you banned from state exams for 7 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

Anyone care to remind me of the name of the guy that stated on boards.ie how exactly he cheated on his leaving cert?? name escapes me now!! slightly before my time on boards!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Anyone care to remind me of the name of the guy that stated on boards.ie how exactly he cheated on his leaving cert?? name escapes me now!! slightly before my time on boards!!

salman85 i think, very similar to his username which is why i said lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pn7xjrqy6fhta1

a fella doing the geography exam in our school today put the sue honan book in the toilets...the vice principal found this and his name was on the front cover. luckily he didnt say anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Yes, to put it simply. People get caught every year. Often superintendents don't report it because of the severe penalty of the seven year ban enforced but it happens more than you think.

Salman85 "had a fully programmable calculator with a one gig flash card, my examiner was a dope"

mink_man wrote: »
    salman85 i think, very similar to his username which is why i said lol

Lol is right I see what your thinking there well copped!!!!!;)

• Advertisement

Salman85 "had a fully programmable calculator with a one gig flash card, my examiner was a dope"

Yeah I remember reading that thread and thinking oh lord on boards like??

He was pure ragin when someone found him on bebo was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sMaN

nah i did my leaving cert last year. i know that you can get banned for 7 years, but i was just wondering if anybody has heard of it happening before, or if it's just used to scare people.

Sorry I just realised I went off topic on my other posts, and yeah the whole seven year thing is true and im pretty sure its happened before. But still its like everything for every one person they catch cheating think of how many they dont catch!!

Yeah I remember reading that thread and thinking oh lord on boards like??

He was pure ragin when someone found him on bebo was it?

was indeed, original thread is still here and all, abet minus the initial confession...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315462&page=1

Oops I'm too late :o

was indeed, original thread is still here and all, abet minus the initial confession...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315462&page=1

That thread is epic! gotta love a new thread that bring old memorys floodin' back:D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭dannydfc

A fella got caught cheating and got ****ed over obviously.

However he was able to repeat the following year like, he had notes in his calculator or something.

Friend of mine got accused of cheating actually.. He has his iPod out on the desk and one of the supervisors was not happy about it :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I went into the toilet in the exam today, in the toilet next to me I could hear someone turning the pages of a book.

I kinda left a bit quicker then...:pac:

• Advertisement

dannydfc wrote: »

However he was able to repeat the following year like, he had notes in his calculator or something.

Was this fellas boards.ie username salman85 by any chance:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

dannydfc wrote: »

It's IN the calculator.. It's so simple! Cue Owen Wilson running into the exam centre and smashing the calculator off the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 imissplaytv

a fella doing the geography exam in our school today put the sue honan book in the toilets...the vice principal found this and his name was on the front cover. luckily he didnt say anything!!

I wouldn't be too sure about that!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭dannydfc

Was this fellas boards.ie username salman85 by any chance:p
    No it wasn't him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just read that thread about the guy cheating in his Leaving a year or two ago - :eek:

Couldn't believe the amount of people who freaked out at him, it's only an exam for crying out loud, people going on as if he was a murderer. Does anyone know what actually happened in the end? Hopefully he got away with it, I say fair play to him for taking the risk and for cheating the system.

What would peoples general attitudes be towards cheating just out of curiosity? Personally I wouldn't take the risk but if you do - fair play.

Just read that thread about the guy cheating in his Leaving a year or two ago - :eek:

Couldn't believe the amount of people who freaked out at him, it's only an exam for crying out loud, people going on as if he was a murderer. Does anyone know what actually happened in the end? Hopefully he got away with it, I say fair play to him for taking the risk and for cheating the system.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/leaving-cert-cheat-in-hot-water-1420306.html
    Article on salman85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What would peoples general attitudes be towards cheating just out of curiosity? .
    When someone "cheats the system" they also cheat the people who played fair.

Why should that be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

When someone "cheats the system" they also cheat the people who played fair.

Why should that be ok?

Not saying it's fair, but life isn't always fair. Why should he care about anyone else doing their exams?

(btw if my post is going to open up a can of worms feel free to delete it:o don't want it starting up mark 2 of that thread!)

What would peoples general attitudes be towards cheating just out of curiosity? Personally I wouldn't take the risk but if you do - fair play.

I remember someone saying shur if you can get away with it what harm will come?

Sean Fitzgearld and anglo Irish bank " getting away with it" springs to mind. All that taxpayers money going to bail out these banks!!

Anyway this aint no political thread so I do see where your coming from, but I honeslty feel so so sorry to anyone who feels they have to cheat on the leaving cert. IMO there complete idiots who cant put the time in like everyone else. We should all tak pity on them cause they have to live there lives knowing there cheating cnuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Not saying it's fair, but life isn't always fair. Why should he care about anyone else doing their exams?
    True, life isn't always fair. In fact, it very often isn't fair.

But the LC exam is at least one thing that strives very hard to be fair, within its limitations (I will restrain myself from diving into curricular issues or quoting Howard Gardner! :D)

And I think the real issue with your question is about personal honesty and what used to be called honour, a word which has sadly fallen into disuse.

Cheat in the LC, get away with it. Other people suffer. Why should he care about anyone else?

Cheat in business, in politics, in life. Other people suffer. Why should he care about anyone else?

Is that really the kind of world you are happy to grow up in, Ferris?

Advertisement