Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are so many people mistaken as to their height?

Options
  • 12-06-2010 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I'm 6'4''.

I have measured, and I am 6'4''.

My doctor even measured me. I'm right on the line.

Yet, when I'm out, and people (tbh, guys mostly) ask how tall I am and I respond "6'4''", I get told continually that I am not 6'4'', I am in fact 6'6'' because they are 6'1'' and they barely tickle my nose, and therefore I must be taller.

This happens continually.

If you are only up to my chin, you are not 6' tall. Maybe you wish you were, but my head is not only 4 inches big.

Were that the case I would be dead.

Anyone else noticed that loads of guys think they are 6'1'' when they are actually much shorter?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

This is true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

My cock is 6'4"... hur hur beavis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Well i'm 6' 3" and haven't grown in about two years.

But apparently I've grown, in height, according to people I've seen only a month or so ago. When I tell them i haven't, they seem convinced i'm wrong.

And same as yourself "Only 6' 3"?? thought you'd be much more, cause i'm 5' 11" and you're much taller". At first i thought it was just Aunts and Uncles trying to make conversation, and do the whole 'you were only this size when i saw you last' cliche, but nearly everyone does it..

And at parties, people just come up and say 'Wow you're tall!'. I've had a Range of responses, usually just moaning about how being tall means i'll have no knees or back by 27. Though if it happens too often, I just tell people maybe i'm normal and they're just short arses, goes down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

I'm 6'4''.

Yet, when I'm out, and people (tbh, guys mostly) ask how tall I am and I respond "6'4''", I get told continually that I am not 6'4'', I am in fact 6'6'' because they are 6'1'' and they barely tickle my nose, and therefore I must be taller.

If you are only up to my chin, you are not 6' tall. Maybe you wish you were, but my head is not only 4 inches big.

Anyone else noticed that loads of guys think they are 6'1'' when they are actually much shorter?

Yea I'm 5.7 and I tell everyone I'm 6.2..!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Agree OP, I'd say it's an ego thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Yea I'm 5.7 and I tell everyone I'm 6.2..!

is that you richard hammond?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

HURR DURR, I am taller than you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

People keep telling me that I've grown in the past year which I haven't. I've just started walking taller cos I realised that I'm pretty awesome.
    True story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Oh Sheesh Yall Twas A Dream

I think its because people are measured once and then just assume over time that they must of grown a few inches and add it to the height they were measured at last

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

If you measure your height in the morning and again before you go to sleep you won't get the same measurement unless you have been lying down all day.

Your spine compresses slightly through out the day due to atmospheric pressure and gravity.

I think you lose about half an inch throughout a day.

Could be a load of balls though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If you measure your height in the morning and again before you go to sleep you won't get the same measurement unless you have been lying down all day.

Your spine compresses slightly through out the day due to atmospheric pressure and gravity.

I think you lose about half an inch throughout a day.

Could be a load of balls though.

And a few more of a night, if you've played your cards right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Fromvert wrote: »
    Agree OP, I'd say it's an ego thing.

But what gets me is that it is a genuine belief - to the point that they will refuse to believe that I am not 6'6''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Why are so many people mistaken as to their height?

Sorry for going for the obvious answer here but.........Because most people have never measured themselves (why would they?) so they just guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

But what gets me is that it is a genuine belief - to the point that they will refuse to believe that I am not 6'6''.

Carry around a measuring tape with you.

I'm 5'11'' and 3/4 of an inch and I have talked to people that truly believe they are 5'10'' when they are clearly 4/5 inches shorter then me. The more I think about it the more my reason for this is, is that people are pretty dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'm bad at judging the height of others (a friend is 6'7", I thought he was more like 7'...). It's an ego thing, I guess. I'm 5'10" and ain't ashamed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Leyton84

I've measured myself and I'm 8 FT 4'. but everybody tells me I'm about 5 FT 8'. It's weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I am 6'1 and measured as so too :P

But once a girl was convinced I was shorter as she still thought she was the same height she was in 6th class for petes sake when she was about 5'9 hah

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm 5'11'' and 3/4 of an inch and I have talked to people that truly believe they are 5'10'' when they are clearly 4/5 inches shorter then me. The more I think about it the more my reason for this is, is that people are pretty dumb.
    Is that you Len? (Len insists he isn't 6 foot).

Its actually relatively easy to be confused about other people's heights, as a small physical difference can have a large psychological difference. Its a bit silly being confused about your own height, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Never really happens me. Im 6' 6".

Bit strange when I do meet someone whos towering over me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

/ goes to double check their height.

5'10, it's all good :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

I'm 177cm, mass is 67kg and I frequetly drive at 150 km/h. Greetings from the year 2010!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

:rolleyes: shortarse

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm 6'4''.

Here is the answer:

It is because many people reference how tall they are based on how tall someone else has told them that they are, especially if it's someone they are naturally inclined to believe or that told them when they were at a young age.

Most people don't actually measure their height, and want to add a bit to it. So when some person tells them that they are 'x' height, they quite happily agree with them and think 'well I'm 4 inches taller than him, I'm 'y' height'.

Case in point: I always believed my dad to be 5'8, because I'm sure I asked him once (or more) at a young age and it's not something I'd forget.
    I am taller than him but I realised a few years ago that he is probably added at least an inch to that number, and I had probably over estimated my height based on it. (because he would do that 'well I'm 'x' height, you must be about 'y' height'.

etc, etc.

tl;dr: people lie about their height, other people are happy to take that at face value as it allows them to lie/add to their own height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Weapons 10

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Carry around a measuring tape with you.

I'm 5'11'' and 3/4 of an inch and I have talked to people that truly believe they are 5'10'' when they are clearly 4/5 inches shorter then me.
    I've a mate who insists he's 6 feet tall. I'm just 5 11 and he's clearly a couple of inches shorter than me. The ego thing I suppose. The other thing Ive noticed is how some(mostly women for some reason?) will describe me as tall when at 5 11 I'm defo not. Just above average really.
    I'm 177cm, mass is 67kg and I frequetly drive at 150 km/h. Greetings from the year 2010!
    *shrugs* must be french. Sorry Sir. No. Speako. Dago. :D Ive an excuse being old though. I am surprised how "the Kidz"(tm) still use imperial.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I subscribe to Lemarckian evolution so by stretching everyday I am getting taller! Therefore it's impossible for me to actually tell my own accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

My grandmother for years kept telling me and everyone else I was about 5'4", because she was 5'2". Now she IS about 5'2" but she insisted I was nearly the same height, even when I was standing right beside her and towering over her :rolleyes: I'm 5'7". Someone finally talked sense into her.

As for taller, I thought it was common knowledge lads always lie about their height to seem taller :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Stop wearing platform shoes when you go out and it'll stop happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Why is it of any importance to know your height at all?

Advertisement