Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are so many people mistaken as to their height?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ah this is annoying.. I'm 5'10" and while I hate being a short arse at least I'm not gonna lie about it..that's just sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

I'm 6 ft 1. I've never experienced someone saying to me or anyone else 'I thought you were taller etc...'

Maybe that's just me though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Happens all the time, I'm 6 3 (really)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm 5'6". No-one asks me to get things down from high places, lift overly heavy stuff or be a human flagpole. Tall people get more slagging about their height too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

oldyouth wrote: »
    Why is it of any importance to know your height at all?
    For ordering a coffin maybe. Do they come in different sizes?

Its the one time i'd underestimate my height... get a small one to save money, would love to be around watching them try to fit me in it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

SV wrote: »
    ah this is annoying.. I'm 5'10" and while I hate being a short arse at least I'm not gonna lie about it..that's just sad.
    Same, and yet I have people still claiming that I must be taller or shorter or whatever suits their lie

"Ah no, you can't be 5'10 because I'm 6'1 and you're only an inch shorter than me". Well you're 5'11 then aren't you, dickhead?

(I'm actually 5'10.5 at the last reading. That half an inch is very important :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I think I'm shrinking :( I've been measured at 5'11 at various times, by various doctors. Then I went to a doctor a few years ago who insisted I was 5'6. Now, I still think he's mad, but since then I've been comparing myself to various other people, and am starting to think I'm only 5'9. I tried measuring myself (pencil mark on the door frame), but it's difficult to do. My passport thinks I'm 179cm. The door frame of a local petrol station says I'm over 6ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

A friend of mine insists he is 5'10 when in actuality he's more like 5'6. I myself am 5'2 and there is no way he's eight inches taller than me. It's definitely an ego thing; the smaller the guy the bigger the lie. :pac:

brummytom wrote: »
    Same, and yet I have people still claiming that I must be taller or shorter or whatever suits their lie

"Ah no, you can't be 5'10 because I'm 6'1 and you're only an inch shorter than me". Well you're 5'11 then aren't you, dickhead?

(I'm actually 5'10.5 at the last reading. That half an inch is very important :pac:)

what's worse is the ones who say they're the same height as you when they're clearly a good few inches shorter..

eugh..
    I'm short but at least I'm taller than you díckhead!
    hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yeah, in reguards to passports and how tall you are, where is it? I was looking for it the other day, because I constantly forget what my height is by two inches. Anyway, couldn't find it anywhere in my passport but was told that it should be there. Likewise for eye colour, couldn't see it anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've a mate who insists he's 6 feet tall. I'm just 5 11 and he's clearly a couple of inches shorter than me. The ego thing I suppose. The other thing Ive noticed is how some(mostly women for some reason?) will describe me as tall when at 5 11 I'm defo not. Just above average really.

Ditto. I'm about 5' 11"1/2 (1.81m) and I know people shorter than me who insist they're 6 foot. I think most people must measure themselves in their shoes which would add about 1 - 1 1/2 inches. I also get told I'm tall when I'm actually only a bit above average. I still find it hard to fit into seats on busses and planes, so I pity those who actually are really tall!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I haven't measured myself for some time. My passport says I'm 165cm tall but that was issued when I was 14. Last year somebody estimated my height and put it at 170cm! What the heck?! It should be at least 180cm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

I'm 5'11 but always round it up to 6'0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Agreed, I'm 5' 9.5" and on several occasions I've had fellas tell me that I'm "6 foot". I've also had a lad who was about an inch shorter than me tell me that *he* was "6 foot"

However when women comment on my height (without knowng what it is) I'm usually referred to as "short". Which is a pretty stupid given that my height is very average.

Mate of mine is a verified 6'4". One of the same silly women that called me "shortarse" and is about 5'2" herself thinks he is "not tall".

Oh and I've long suspected that many rugby and GAA player heights are exaggerated. A friend (5' 5.75")got his photo taken with Isaac Boss (international scrum half) whose listed height is 5'10", from the photo he looks closer to 5'6" or 5'7"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I'm 6'6 so this is not really a problem for me. I've my head in the clouds laughing at all of you shortarses arguing about a couple of inches.

You're all just barely more than midgets so deal with it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I'm 6'6 so this is not really a problem for me. I've my head in the clouds laughing at all of you shortarses arguing about a couple of inches.

You're all just barely more than midgets so deal with it!:D

Take a trip to Holland sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Lets not get started on small man syndrome.

Apparently the average male height in Ireland is 5' 9 1/2". Id say thats complete boll0x. Of my mates, i can only think of one or two under that height.

Lurching wrote: »

Apparently the average male height in Ireland is 5' 9 1/2". Id say thats complete boll0x. Of my mates, i can only think of one or two under that height.

it has to be, I'm about the shortest of all my friends
    average height for adult males in Ireland is about 6'0 I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Sounds like a thorough survey there. ;)

The average male height in Ireland is rising afaik. But there's still too many oldies knocking around from the days of poor diets and heavy smoking and what not dragging down the average.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

I'm 5'7" and never bother to lie about my height.

When I played basketball I would have to explain to my very tall mates that height was a gravity thing.....
    They had no mass in their head and therefore gravity would allow them to spring up like weeds.
    My head, however, was packed full of brains and the extra weight kept me closer to the ground...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

A bit of wishful thinking and old relatives not being aware of how much they've shrunk in their old age.

But it's mostly an ego thing. I actually think it's kinda sad for a guy who isn't particularly small to lie about his height. It's like telling yourself you're not happy the way you are. I'm perfectly happy with my average height thank you very much :pac:.

I love calling people out on it though, "you're not 6 foot you plank, I'm 5'10'' and you're the same height as me :D".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

That's definitely bollix. Took me years to find a suitably tall man to match my 5'11'' height among all those midgets around here. They must have taken that average when an unusally large crowd of Dutch and Danish tourists had just arrived...

And yes, a LOT of men lie about their height when faced with tall women and act all astounded when you tell them they can't possibly be 6'4'' when they barely reach your chin...(I may be from the continent, but the imperial system is not THAT difficult...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 bestiaries

I'm 5'3 and a bit!!! So I fib and say I'm 5'4".

I know a guy that I only come up to his waist, I'm super paranoid my hair looks weird from that angle,but never thought to ask. It must suck getting shirts/jackets/trousers to fit when you're that tall thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,851 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm 5ft.

People don't get my height wrong but because of my height they get my age wrong...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

galah wrote: »
    That's definitely bollix. Took me years to find a suitably tall man to match my 5'11'' height

So height was you primary criteria in choosing a man? In that case (and I mean this literally), you're not very fussy, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Yeah I'm 6"1' as well.....but the Height/Weight machine at the gym seems to think I'm 5"7" and 3/4
    So that's quite obviously a load of bollocks!!
    But I'm not suprised.....it thinks I'm 13 and a half stone when I'm actually a fit and lean 11 stone 8. Have been since i was 17.
    Technology eh? Getting worse!
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Confab wrote: »
    So height was you primary criteria in choosing a man? In that case (and I mean this literally), you're not very fussy, are you?

Definitely a prime criterion, and lucky that everything else about him was perfect, too...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

javaboy wrote: »
    Sounds like a thorough survey there. ;)

Ya, I really put the leg work in on the stats there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

SV wrote: »
    it has to be, I'm about the shortest of all my friends
    average height for adult males in Ireland is about 6'0 I'd say

No way the average height is 6'0; there are very few countries in the world, if any, where that is the case.
    As far as i know, the last time a study was done on this, the average height of males in Ireland was was about 5'8 and a half; may have increased since then, but i doubt by more than about half an inch.
    The reason that many people over-estimate their height may be down to this kind of mis-conception about average height; combined, perhaps, with some wishful thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'm 6ft 3in. It is great being tall I admit. I haven't come across lads lying about their height since secondary school tbh though...

Advertisement