Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are so many people mistaken as to their height?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

FruitLover wrote: »
    WTF do you mean "we" use the metric system? Are you French? Because I've never met an Irish person who describes their height in centimetres.

no one uses it cause they couldnt be bothered...their just slow to transform to use the metric system...the op questioned the imperial system measurements which cant be precise...with metric you can measure up to the smallest cm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i dont know my height.... about 6''2 or 3 but a friend of mine who is the same height thinks hes 6''6

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

panda100 wrote: »
    Believe me you get this 100x more from guys when your a tall girl.

I'm just a bit shy of 6'1,Have been measured lots of time and that is most definately my height.

Yet I constantly have men telling me I must be at least 6'3 or 6'4 as they are 6'1. Its not my fair making me into a giant just cos their little squirts.
    But were you wearing heels and "big hair"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I like being medium height for a woman (5ft 4.5").

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Victor wrote: »
    But were you wearing heels and "big hair"?

No and No,my hair doesnt add 3 inches to my height.
    Guys just have to start accepting that their not over 6' like they thought they were rather than turning me into a Marge Simpson Big Haired Freak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'm 5'10'', which, reading the thread, seems to be pretty average.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No and No,my hair doesnt add 3 inches to my height.
    Guys just have to start accepting that their not over 6' like they thought they were rather than turning me into a Marge Simpson Big Haired Freak.
    Oh, I'm not. A woman I used to work with was 5'10" and did go for the heels and big hair, which sometimes made her look 6'10"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i think most people dont want to believe the height they actually are and add a few inchs on,the amount of times guys have told me theyre taller than they are is unbeliebable,im 5"9 and about as tall as most guys,i get told im a good few inchs taller than i actually am because im the same height as them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yet I constantly have men telling me I must be at least 6'3 or 6'4 as they are 6'1. Its not my fair making me into a giant just cos their little squirts
    It's no wonder that men feel the need to exaggerate their height when women use terminology like the above. I've received plenty of derogatory comments from women calling me shortarse, midget etc. despite me being a fairly average and verified 5' 9.5". Also on a couple of occasions I've been asked if I'm a jockey :rolleyes:

Could be worse though I could have been called a smurf or a hobbit as in this post from the "ladies" lounge
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055303045

Strange how this sort of crap is acceptable yet if I were to make the slightest derogatory comment about a woman's weight (something which can be changed unlike height) I'd be lynched

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I'm 6'4''.

I have measured, and I am 6'4''.

My doctor even measured me. I'm right on the line.

Yet, when I'm out, and people (tbh, guys mostly) ask how tall I am and I respond "6'4''", I get told continually that I am not 6'4'', I am in fact 6'6'' because they are 6'1'' and they barely tickle my nose, and therefore I must be taller.

This happens continually.

If you are only up to my chin, you are not 6' tall. Maybe you wish you were, but my head is not only 4 inches big.

Were that the case I would be dead.

Anyone else noticed that loads of guys think they are 6'1'' when they are actually much shorter?

That's it flaunt your height and make all the little people feel miserable! :(;) I hate being only 5ft!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

That's it flaunt your height and make all the little people feel miserable! :(;) I hate being only 5ft!!

Short girls are cute though.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭fairycakes

I'm 4 11 haven't grown since I was 12 (I still fit into my confirmation outfit!) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Strange how this sort of crap is acceptable yet if I were to make the slightest derogatory comment about a woman's weight (something which can be changed unlike height) I'd be lynched

Thats cos the fatties can beat you up... shortarse!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Definitely seems like 6'0'' is some sort of psychological threshold for a lot of fellas.
    I'm bang on that in my bare feet, let's say 6'1'' wearing shoes of some kind. But the amount of people clearly, noticeably shorter who claim to be 6'1'' or taller is unbelievable.
    I used to correct them, but I don't bother anymore, unless they ask me what height I am, in which case I look down at them and tell them 'Six one, same as you...apparently'.
    I personally couldn't care less if I was inches taller or smaller. The bigger you are the harder to find fitting clothes and the more painful flying is. The smaller you are, perhaps some women won't look at you or it's difficult to see the band at concerts.
    Either way, there's ups and downs to being any height. People should accept who they are and move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I'm 6'4''.

Yet, when I'm out, and people (tbh, guys mostly) ask how tall I am and I respond "6'4''", I get told continually that I am not 6'4'', I am in fact 6'6'' because they are 6'1'' and they barely tickle my nose, and therefore I must be taller.

If you are only up to my chin, you are not 6' tall. Maybe you wish you were, but my head is not only 4 inches big.

Anyone else noticed that loads of guys think they are 6'1'' when they are actually much shorter?

Im about 6ft tall but im always being told ''no you're at least 6'1" because im 6ft''
    ..the doc measured so I know how tall I am..I think hitting the 6ft mark is important for some guys..so ye same thing but what ever helps them sleep at night I dont mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

blame the english :)

I heard some rumour that The Republic of Ireland became independent of the United Kingdom quite some time ago. In fact In the Republic there is hardly anyone left alive today who has spent their entire lives there and can remember British rule.

Isint it about time people grew up and stopped blaming the Brits for all their self-inflicted problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

5'4" and mother fucking proud!

To be honest, I think tall people look clumsy, with the whole, stooping through door ways and what not. Although all my best friends I've ever gone through have been really tall, like at least 6'5". It's funny really. Was always a good social group joke with my last group of friends. He'd generally get my attention with "Hey Tiny!" or "Oi, Midget!". And I'd quite happily respond to those names. Never really bothered me. Haha. Good times.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I heard some rumour that The Republic of Ireland became independent of the United Kingdom quite some time ago. In fact In the Republic there is hardly anyone left alive today who has spent their entire lives there and can remember British rule.

Isint it about time people grew up and stopped blaming the Brits for all their self-inflicted problems.

Ah Jaysus now don't go throwing a Paddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Mike 1972 wrote: »

I heard another rumour they held onto a quarter of the country.
    Do we have your permission to blame them for things they inflict, or is that out of order too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I'm a girl and I'm 5' 5", which seems around average. I have one friend who spent years blindly insisting that we were the same height (I doubt she reaches 5'0") even though when I stand behind her I can easily rest my chin on the top of her head. I demonstrated this in the pub one day in front of a crowd of people who informed her, that yes, I was taller. So she has now decided that I am 5'4 and she is 5'2".

This makes me think she is an idiot.

I think also that lots of people were told in school that they were taller than they were and have just stuck with it. One year our u16 basketball team reached the All Ireland finals so the school was covered in banners with their names - and bizarrely, their heights - on them. The majority were stated to be 6'0", the really short guys were called 5'10" and the only accurate one was the tallest who was 6'4"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

BrianD3 wrote: »

Oh and I've long suspected that many rugby and GAA player heights are exaggerated. A friend (5' 5.75")got his photo taken with Isaac Boss (international scrum half) whose listed height is 5'10", from the photo he looks closer to 5'6" or 5'7"

photos are not great ways to estimate height, case in point if you have ever seen affleck and damon on screen together there is always 5 inches between them http://latinofilmchatter.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/ben_affleck_matt_damon_kugk.jpg

for what its worth, i went to college with a guy who went on to play pro-rugby for leinster and connaught, he was every bit the 6'1 he is listed at (i am 5'11 barefoot btw), my friends are friends with two pro rugby players and they are both the 6'7 they are listed at (i have a friend who is a legit 6'5)

as for gaa, i went to college with numerous intercounty players, all were as listed, its funny when a few of our lads went over to australia and got measured (as you do for aussie rules) they turned out a cm or so taller than listed with the gaa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

I think Athletes are measured. Beckhams height is 5 11. I bet he would be an Irish 6 ft 2'' then. He looks tall in most photos, not about or below average ( some people here claim that 6 ft is the average).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Happened to me telling the same person at different periods over 3 years in the same class that they were NOT 5' 9" as they so thought, because I'm that height and you my misjudged friend, are only 5' 6"...so eventually told them to STFU:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I'm 6'4''.

you must play/be very good at basketball!!

I used to tell everyone I was 6ft 2.5 when I knew I was 6ft 3"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭xxchloexx

im 5'1 or 5'2 not too sure but this thread makes me feel veryyyy small :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

worst thing about being tall is when you're next to a short guy who has 'angry/aggressive short man syndrome'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i dont know what height i am,i'm about 3/4 a foot from banging my head off a door frame,whats that?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

Stands on tip toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

When I'm working on the building site during the week, I'm always called "Small Paul", because I'm just over 5ft 5".

But at the weekends, when I work the clubs as Pauleta, I'm almost 6ft in my heels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

Slips on 3 inch spikes. Call me fathom!

Advertisement