Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WOW! CLASS

• 12-06-2010 3:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey Ive been reading this and Radiowaves for a bit, did my college stuff and had my own share of bad jive in my life but WHY are the two major forum chat boards of the most AMAZING medium ...in this country so Neg

Ah x is terrible...Z shouldnt get this....Why has M fm givin Y that gig...

Lets look at it and give...perhaps a pos...or a suggestion or a push to how you think you should do it better...

is it down to jealousy:?

or can we find...40..just 40 compliements....to at least ONE show...ACROSS THE nation.......Nation Local, regional, community...its may give even small Joe a boost to know he is doing something right when he himself feels like hes working as hard as joe can but...seems nobody cares....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Anyone getting a bit on an echo on this forum today?

Echo echo echoecho

yep.... definite feed problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

She has a point it is almost a competition on here to see who can be the most negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fm 1

Its because most of the heads on theses forums and in particular Radiowaves would not be allowed within a 40 mile radius of a radio station never mind a microphone and have being told they are not good enough to work on radio so the p…k’s knock all the rest that work as you have said in the most AMAZING medium ...in this country SAD PEOPLE

in more then one time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is this a campaign?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Is this a campaign?
    For what ???????

Posted ,seemingly, by a very bitter person.

Most of the people on here are genuine radio listeners who say it as they think.

Not always right, but what do you want?

Everyone is great kinda stuff??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭bossdrum

fm 1 wrote: »
    Its because most of the heads on theses forums and in particular Radiowaves would not be allowed within a 40 mile radius of a radio station never mind a microphone and have being told they are not good enough to work on radio so the p…k’s knock all the rest that work as you have said in the most AMAZING medium ...in this country SAD PEOPLE

It's because most of the radio in this country is complete and utter garbage when compared to other countries.

It's impossible to get any current affairs coverage or any live news discussion other than repeats at night.

If you want positive comments, then I think Pat Kenny is one of the best at his program and so he should be when you consider how much he is paid.

Other radio presenters fall way short of the mark particularly in RTE for what they are paid and considering that they seem to be off half the year.

According to your logic if you go and see a play and the acting is rubbish then you aren't allowed to criticise because you have never acted yourself.

Believe it or not, I have never have or never will want to work in the industry but I can recognise lazy and incompetent radio when i hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

bossdrum wrote: »
    If you want positive comments, then I think Pat Kenny is one of the best at his program and so he should be when you consider how much he is paid. Other radio presenters fall way short of the mark particularly in RTE for what they are paid and considering that they seem to be off half the year.
    I agree with this. I think there is a certain element of "if it's not broken, dont try and fix it" about the posts as well. People generally post here when something annoys them, not usually when something is good. Like for example (as was said above) Pat Kenny, Morning Ireland, News At One..... all excellent, staff all well paid as they should be. People in general dont have a problem with these and dont post about them as they dont feel the need for change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

So people shouldn't critcise a radio host just to please you? I'm sorry but that is a stupid post. We have the right to speak out about something we dislike. Sorry I we are too negative for ya :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 i am niamh

My point is that most other threads on these sites seems to give out about radio host...so far in this thread there has only been one positive posting and that was about PK.. whom I feel is a very good radio broadcaster also.

Add to this Marian F....I wish she was still on weekdays and she really knows how to talk to the listener.

Declan M of East Coast fm sounds great in my opinion, very relaxed feel to his talk and very interesting. I have heard Micheal Reade on lmfm a station that is never really talked about on these boards.I feel Micheal is an excellent broadcaster, knows what he says and gets to the knub of the issue very much with the listener in mind.

I have named a few here already.. there is far too much negativity in this world. could we not have even ten posts where someone says...Well don't to XYZ on XYZ fm. Great show, or great interview, or great song choice...is it really that much to ask to have just ONE thread dedicated to positives?.............

Niamh.

I apol btw, that the thread seems to have been posted twice, im hoping the mods....if its not too much trouble could possibly merge the two into one...
    Apols

Niamh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Ok Niamh I'm gonna let this thread run for the minute but please make yourself familiar with the forum rules. If it drifts off-topic I'll close it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I commissioned some software, it distils words, that is for example input 'i am niamhs' OP and my program distils the words down to a simple concept or phrase....

'i am niamh' OP when processed becomes - 'we are where we are'

which reminds me of.... 'Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide' - PB Ahern 2007

the ghost of PB is alive and well in 2010.

Barname wrote: »
    I commissioned some software, it distils words, that is for example input 'i am niamhs' OP and my program distils the words down to a simple concept or phrase....

'i am niamh' OP when processed becomes - 'we are where we are'

which reminds me of.... 'Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide' - PB Ahern 2007

the ghost of PB is alive and well in 2010.
    I
    Im sorry ...and no disrespect...but WHAT The hell are you taking about

And cheers Mod for what you have dont ..I really app it

Its gas that in this day and age all peep want to do is rant and rave and moan. ................

Ill put it to you straight
    x person on x station is working their DAM hardest to make good radio! I know this because I know A LOT of peep in the industry. They are ALWAYS in fear of their next contract renewal and a LOT of stations work on figures.

You and I know that we have bad days...we all do..and for someone to say something bad to you on a bad day that is neg...It makes us worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Confidence drives each and EVERY presenter to do better

perhaps it comes down to jealousy ? that one can not get a gig ANYWHERE and is pissed at the world...but my point..cred where cred is due?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For someone who has "done their collage stuff" as you elequently put it your standards of presentation on this thread leave much to be desired. Are you using a wonky phone to type on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Posted ,seemingly, by a very bitter person.

Most of the people on here are genuine radio listeners who say it as they think.

Not always right, but what do you want?

Everyone is great kinda stuff??

But say the most awful personal stuff about broadcasters (not only the well paid famous ones) whom they never met and know nothing about. Well dont I AM NIAMH.

x person on x station is working their DAM hardest to make good radio! I know this because I know A LOT of peep in the industry.

Firstly, I dont have a problem with any private station paying George Hook 100ks every year, if they consider him worth it. I have a problem with the taxpayers paying huge amounts for so called stars because they are "worth it"..
    They are ALWAYS in fear of their next contract renewal and a LOT of stations work on figures.

I like Marian Finucane, but she is hugely overpaid for what she does. Rachael English stood in for her last couple of weeks and can do the job just as well. Tubridy has been poor on the LLS, ranging from being biased, petty and downright insulting to being disinterested, and very poorly researched. He needs to be coaching in how to do the job properly, and maybe a few modules in Life Outside D4 also. Joe Duffy is paid over 400k to host a call in show, which has progressively degraded in to a Joe Duffy opinion piece. Mary Wilson, who I liked as a court reporter, is also poor on DriveTime. I hoped she would get better but she just hasnt.

There is no chance of any of these people being fired or let go, so to say that they are "in fear" of their next contract renewal is a joke. Even George Lee was brought back to the club after his misguided foray into the world of politics. RTE does not get the best deal for the people of Ireland, and rewards mediocrity.

What all these people do is work the system.

We have a poor management structure out in Montrose.

So the top dog was Kenny, now it's Tubridy.

Goan and his acolytes saw fit to pay these jerks king's ransoms, King's ransoms.

Therefore the #2 dog has to be paid commensurately with the top dog.

And so on and so on,these dudes are paid way way above what the open market would support and everybody knows that. Everybody!!!

yet it still goes on.

Time to put them in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

What all these people do is work the system.

We have a poor management structure out in Montrose.

So the top dog was Kenny, now it's Tubridy.

Goan and his acolytes saw fit to pay these jerks king's ransoms, King's ransoms.

Therefore the #2 dog has to be paid commensurately with the top dog.

And so on and so on,these dudes are paid way way above what the open market would support and everybody knows that. Everybody!!!

yet it still goes on.

Time to put them in their place.

Its true.......we really are a nation of begrudgers. In the US, people would say good on you if you happen to get well paid or do well for yourself. Here its just blind jealousy and begrudgery from people.

Good on Tubridy if he can earn 500k. More power to him. Hands up anyone here who would say, "oh no please dont pay me too much. Just give me the least amount of money you can"!

• Advertisement

Derryleigh wrote: »
    Its true.......we really are a nation of begrudgers. In the US, people would say good on you if you happen to get well paid or do well for yourself. Here its just blind jealousy and begrudgery from people.

Good on Tubridy if he can earn 500k. More power to him. Hands up anyone here who would say, "oh no please dont pay me too much. Just give me the least amount of money you can"!
    You hit the nail on the head jealousy begrudging p...k's

Derryleigh wrote: »
    fm 1 wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the head jealousy begrudging p...k's

Great, so which one of ye wants to take over paying the percentage of my wages that goes to pay for the RTE heads? I'll pay for Kenny and Morning Ireland, but not the rest of them.. ;)

why not give out about your most hated presenters on a different thread? I wrote this to see if I could get 40 positive posts. Think about down the pub with your mates, Nobody likes a moaner.

Why not set up a different thread and along with your rant, perhaps comment on HOW YOU would do it differently? Its all...ah XYZ is much and shouldn't be on the radio...well guess what...THEY ARE! Deal with it!

Now back to the thread as its meant to be....POSITIVES!

If I have to get to 40 positives on my own I will..but I know im not the only one who can share a compliment so COME ON GUYS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

You start us off there... go on..

Bard wrote: »
    You start us off there... go on..

i am niamh wrote: »
    My point is that most other threads on these sites seems to give out about radio host...so far in this thread there has only been one positive posting and that was about PK.. whom I feel is a very good radio broadcaster also.

Add to this Marian F....I wish she was still on weekdays and she really knows how to talk to the listener.

Declan M of East Coast fm sounds great in my opinion, very relaxed feel to his talk and very interesting. I have heard Micheal Reade on lmfm a station that is never really talked about on these boards.I feel Micheal is an excellent broadcaster, knows what he says and gets to the knub of the issue very much with the listener in mind.

I have named a few here already.. there is far too much negativity in this world. could we not have even ten posts where someone says...Well don't to XYZ on XYZ fm. Great show, or great interview, or great song choice...is it really that much to ask to have just ONE thread dedicated to positives?.............

Niamh.

I already HAVE BARD..

now its your turn

I already HAVE BARD..

now its your turn

There is really nobody saying that the majority of these presenters are bad, just that they are getting paid too much.

Marian Finucane is an excellent presenter but 450k+ pa.

c'mon on.

Marian Finucane is an excellent presenter but 450k+ pa.c'mon on.

No private business would pay her 450k for two hours a week, especially when they have a stack of "Level 2" presenters i.e. not "stars", people like Rachael English, Philip Boucher Hayes, Kathryn Thomas, Myles Dungan.. etc etc. who could all do this job quite capably for much less money.

If you want something positive, I think all over the "Level 2" presenters I mentioned are very capable. I particularly like Philip Boucher Hayes and think he should definitely be given DriveTime because he is FAR superior to Mary Wilson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

No private business would pay her 450k for two hours a week, especially when they have a stack of "Level 2" presenters i.e. not "stars", people like Rachael English, Philip Boucher Hayes, Kathryn Thomas, Myles Dungan.. etc etc. who could all do this job quite capably for much less money.

If you want something positive, I think all over the "Level 2" presenters I mentioned are very capable. I particularly like Philip Boucher Hayes and think he should definitely be given DriveTime because he is FAR superior to Mary Wilson.

The problem with that is that ever since the Gay Byrne Mike Murphy era the 'stars' salaries seem to be sacrosanct .

What's needed is that the top earners get realistic salaries and the rest pro rata.

Otherwise it's just a gravy train where whoever moves into ,say The #2 slot gets pro rata to the #'1.

Total reorginisation is needed just like in the HSE.

Scrub out the past, start from afresh, it's the only way.

• Advertisement

Reorginisation is needed just like in the HSE.
    Scrub out the past, start from afresh, it's the only way.

I agree with you Flut, but unlike the HSE (which is tied in by union deals meaning effectively nobody can be fired), they CAN get rid of the top RTE heads. Nearly all of the top paid, except for Mooney are private contractors..

So for example, at the end of the current contract, they could call Marian and say... "thanks for the work, but we simply cant afford you any more. We will not be renewing your contract. Best of luck in the future." It's only because RTE is subsidized by the state that they can afford to keep her, which is wrong.

Indeed, but there is no one with the balls out there to do that.

It's all one big nest of overpaid punters, who considering the footprint they cover, should be paid 40% less at least.

There are some excellent people there, very good at what they do but , again, like the HSE,

THEY COST TOO MUCH

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mega Buddy

Now back to the thread as its meant to be....POSITIVES!

If I have to get to 40 positives on my own I will..but I know im not the only one who can share a compliment so COME ON GUYS

Is this poster for real?? Or has the sun gotten to their head?

Come on guys... Let's get all positive about each other and live in a happy world where everybody does everything right and never messes up and everyone loves each other!! LOL!!!!

Obviously has no idea as to how radio, or media for that matter, works. Everything should just be all happy with no competition.

Now..... Where did I leave those rose coloured spectacles.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Mega Buddy wrote: »
    Is this poster for real?? Or has the sun gotten to their head?

Come on guys... Let's get all positive about each other and live in a happy world where everybody does everything right and never messes up and everyone loves each other!! LOL!!!!

Obviously has no idea as to how radio, or media for that matter, works. Everything should just be all happy with no competition.

Now..... Where did I leave those rose coloured spectacles.:rolleyes:

don't attack the poster. Agree or disagree, comment or don't, but don't attack the poster.

The New LGBT station Open FM, Fair play to the powers behind this for the amount of work they have put in to launch this Niche market radio station. Also The team behind the 90s network who were on a few months ago, I have heard back how much HARD work and dedication they put into such an amazing project. so...if your reading this WELL DONE.

For the last time everyone. Either post your opinions on the topic or don't post at all. Final warning

• Advertisement

The New LGBT station Open FM, Fair play to the powers behind this for the amount of work they have put in to launch this Niche market radio station.

Thanks! I'm one of them... I do the music for the overnights, a load of production work and I've a show on Saturday - and I agree, there's a lot of people there putting in an extraordinary amount of work to create a really good product.
    Also The team behind the 90s network who were on a few months ago, I have heard back how much HARD work and dedication they put into such an amazing project. so...if your reading this WELL DONE.

Thanks again :) I'm also involved there... and they're still running you know - just on the web at http://www.the90snetwork.ie/ - with another FM run due in October.
    I already HAVE BARD..

now its your turn

Sorry, didn't notice. I don't particularly agree with you on Marian Finucane's apparent brilliance (but I'm probably not her target, .. I dunno) but do on Kenny - fine radio broadcaster.

While I understand the phenomenon you're referring to of people tending to bad mouth radio folks on the radio forums more than they praise them, I wouldn't be one of the people who'd do that, myself. I'm sure a few people on this forum, myself included, know a good few people in the industry so they just don't do it out of basic respect.

That said, it IS a natural human thing - and it's far easier to criticise people than to praise them. Being negative is much easier, and negative emotions are more likely to make someone post a message than positive ones.

It's hard enough to list off who my favourite radio people are as I don't get to listen to them half as often as I'd like to (usually in a studio or preparing or researching stuff at the moment), and you're always going to leave someone out too.

That said, I'm a fan of Simon Maher on Phantom 105.2 and the fun and light-hearted programme "Phantom Daily" which he presents. I like his presenting style, the music he plays, the 'not too serious' topics he discusses and - well I just like the guy.

I also really like Brian McColl on 4fm - he's on from 2 to 5pm and his presenting style really appeals to me. A lot of jocks and potential jocks could (and do - he runs workshops) learn a lot from him.

That better? :)

Our hero Tubridy talking about the nationally critical issue of tanning.... multiple references to "oompa loompa" as he always "comically" does any time the topic arises..... WOW CLASS? I think not.. Get him off to 2FM asap.

Thanks Bard :D

I now know that there is more than ONE other person in this world who Can think positive . . .

:rolleyes:

Niche stuff, what we want to discuss here is general broadcasting, not gay and lesbian stuff.!!

They just want to fill a hole with anything.

General interest please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Weird, unsubstiantiated accusations removed

• Advertisement

Barname, I don't really care what you think of the thread to be honest. If you want to contribute to it, fine. If you don't, fine. DO NOT attack the poster, I'm sick of saying this. The op is free to discuss whatever topics they like - they don't need your approval

:rolleyes:

Niche stuff, what we want to discuss here is general broadcasting, not gay and lesbian stuff.!!

Eh???

We ARE discussing general broadcasting, not gay and lesbian stuff. The LGBT station (OpenFM) is just one of a number of stations mentioned in the thread so far.

Advertisement