Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westie pup advice

Options
  • 12-06-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys. We are getting our new puppy on Tuesday! I made a check list to help prepare. He's 8 weeks old today!

Food

What is the best food for a Westie pup? I'll make sure to ask the owner what he food he is on now.

Vet/Boosters/Meds

We have a vet appoinment for Thursday. The owner said he's had his parvo, he was wormed. I'll get more details when I meet him. He's got a sheet with all the vaccinations details! Where's the best place for getting him micro chipped?

Bedding

We've got his bed set up in the kitchen. When do we even think of buying a kennel? We're puppy-proofing the house today. There will always be someone at home.

Insurance

Looks like we're going with Allianze.

Training

I hear the DSPCA do excellent training courses. Money will go to animals in need so win/win.

We're gonna crate train him, any advice appreciated.

Journey

We'll be collecting him on Tuesday in Wexford. Any advice for the car journey? What should we transport him in?

Last, but most important, his name :pac:

I think he should be called Walter or Casper!

Also, our last dog was a smooth fox terrier, she was a great pet. What are Westies in general like? I have a 3 year old niece who I imagine, will want to play with him! The pup is already growing up with children so hopefully no problems there!

I think I've got everything :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Hey guys. We are getting our new puppy on Tuesday! I made a check list to help prepare. He's 8 weeks old today!

Food

What is the best food for a Westie pup? I'll make sure to ask the owner what he food he is on now.

Keep him on what the owner is giving him for now. Food can be hit and miss with some westies so it can be matter of trial and error. Arden Grange and James Wellbeloved are both very good foods.

Vet/Boosters/Meds

We have a vet appoinment for Thursday. The owner said he's had his parvo, he was wormed. I'll get more details when I meet him. He's got a sheet with all the vaccinations details! Where's the best place for getting him micro chipped?

Get him chipped at the vets. He won't feel a thing when its done.

Bedding

We've got his bed set up in the kitchen. When do we even think of buying a kennel? We're puppy-proofing the house today. There will always be someone at home.

Our fella is a complete house dog, sleeps in the house so I couldn't advise you re: kennel.

Insurance

Looks like we're going with Allianze.

They are pretty reasonable

Training

I hear the DSPCA do excellent training courses. Money will go to animals in need so win/win.

We're gonna crate train him, any advice appreciated.

I so regret not crate training our fella, didn't do enough research on time.

Journey

We'll be collecting him on Tuesday in Wexford. Any advice for the car journey? What should we transport him in?

When I brought my fella home, I kept him on my lap for the entire journey. It was a 25min drive and he slept away until we got home. I felt he'd been traumatised enough by being taken from his siblings. I also broke with convention on the 1st night. I kept him in his new bed in the floor of our bedroom and there wasn't one single whine or cry. Admittedly, I'd to sleep with one eye opened for toilet breaks but as the week progressed I moved the bed further out of the room every night until it was on the landing and after a week he settled grand downstairs in the kitchen

Last, but most important, his name :pac:

I think he should be called Walter or Casper!

I like Walter!

Also, our last dog was a smooth fox terrier, she was a great pet. What are Westies in general like? I have a 3 year old niece who I imagine, will want to play with him! The pup is already growing up with children so hopefully no problems there!

I think I've got everything :P

My answers are above in bold! Get him used to kids as soon as possible just be aware that like any terrier type dog they often don't like being pulled and dragged at so supervision is the name of the game. Start brushing him straight away so he'll get used to being groomed by you.

Best of luck with him! They are the cheekiest little puppies who will test you to your limits so you have to be strong willed and keep the training consistent! Those big eyes are very easy to give into!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

I agree with what has been said above. We feed our westie mix of the Royal Cainin West Highland Terrier 21 and Orijen (was fussy so when mix of brands worked when changing we stuck with it!!!)

Only comment I wanted to add was in relation to your niece. My nephews are around our westie everyday and we have had no problems although when i am there he can sometimes like a little extra attention ha ha. One thing I found was because they are so cute and cuddley looking one of my nephews in particular always wanted to hug him and the westie really doesn't like so maybe explain this to your niece before he arrives :)

They are a fabulous pet so affectionate and great company. I would strongly advise training from the beginning as they are very headstrong and can be stubborn if they decide they are the boss:D

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Where's the best place for getting him micro

Congrats on your new baby :D but minor alarm bells ringing here - is this pup being advertised as IKC reg? If so the breeder would have to have gotten him chipped already to register him?

For the car journey I had our guy (a golden retriever) in a blanket on my lap from Tipp. to Dublin and he slept the whole time and no accidents either.

I have to laugh about the crate training - how handy it must be when the dog is small and you don't need a huge crate taking up half the room! :D Crate training is the way to go - our guy was housetrained by 3 months because we crated him at night and then during the day out every 30 mins or so. Just be prepared for early morning toilet trips but stick with it - it's worth it when they're trained and not going to the loo all over the house!

Also buy some spare socks! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Both his parents are registered. Also he is not being 'advertised' we know the fella.

2 more sleeps!

My socks just go missing :D

Ivyslayer, it goes without saying that copious amounts of pictures are expected. Westies look like little polar bears as puppies I think. God I remember cuddling my little fella and it has paid off. Now when I ask him for kisses I get kisses and he does this cute thing where he grabs my nose with his teeth, he doesn't put any pressure on, but its one of his ways of kissing! Ya I'm besotted but Bailey is the best thing to come into my life after my OH!

• Advertisement

Boodlesdoodles, your wish shall be granted :D

Hey he's been home about 3 hours now, he's settling in grand. He's very playful, and nipping a lot. I've been overruled on the name, he's called Sam.

He bites fingers and feet a lot. What's the best way to discourage this? Simply telling him No! or letting out a yelp?

Here's some pics:

Attacking a tea towel
    BILD0181.jpg?t=1276624544

BILD0179.jpg?t=1276624498
    Here he is on the deck
    BILD0175.jpg?t=1276624473

BILD0173.jpg

By his water bowl
    BILD0169.jpg?t=1276624568

Oh he's beautiful!!!! Sam suits him too.

As for the nipping I always found quick high pitched yelp got his attention but then I turned by back and made sure to break eye contact. This way he'll learn if he nips the fun stops. But honestly be patient and just give him a couple of days to get well settled in and then you can begin training in earnest. Don't be tempted to give him any rawhide bones for now he's too young for them. I know of someone who used to wet a face cloth roll it up and put it in the freezer and when completely frozen give it to the doggie. They love the cool sensation and its great for them while they are teething. I used to give my fella ice cubes as well - he still loves crunching them.

Hope Sam settles in quickly and brings you lots of happy days.

He's whining quite a bit now. He's on this puppy food called Beta. The breeder said to mix it with milk and some dog biscuits.

How often should we feed him? He's been fed twice since 5. He's very tried, I'm waiting for him to do his numbers 2s.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He's whining quite a bit now. He's on this puppy food called Beta. The breeder said to mix it with milk and some dog biscuits.
    My westie, Holly, is now on Beta senior. She's about 13 or 14 years old now. Please remember: westies are ratters. We give her a durable garden glove, and she attacks it every so often :D

Try and let her mix with other dogs, and get your niece to learn about how not to treat dogs. Most importantly, ensure she never creeps up on the dog from behind, and try to "catch" the dog. Most dogs tend to snap at this.

My own westie hates small kids (used to back away from them, barking) as we think she had a run in with one when she was younger, and isn't all that friendly with larger dogs. Thus, get your dog to meet other dogs, and ensure the niece treats the dog correctly.

Finally, is your westie throughbred, or not? If she is, find out from where you got her what shampoo to use, as their skin can be irritated by the wrong one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 wallygreengiant

Ivyslayer, it goes without saying that copious amounts of pictures are expected. Westies look like little polar bears as puppies I think. God I remember cuddling my little fella and it has paid off. Now when I ask him for kisses I get kisses and he does this cute thing where he grabs my nose with his teeth, he doesn't put any pressure on, but its one of his ways of kissing! Ya I'm besotted but Bailey is the best thing to come into my life after my OH!

My little fella does that too, maybe its a westie thing because no other dog does it! Well when I say little fella, Fido is 13 now! So he is more of an old fella!!

He is tho the best thing ever tho!!!

Hey he's been home about 3 hours now, he's settling in grand. He's very playful, and nipping a lot. I've been overruled on the name, he's called Sam.

He bites fingers and feet a lot. What's the best way to discourage this? Simply telling him No! or letting out a yelp?

Here's some pics:

Attacking a tea towel
    BILD0181.jpg?t=1276624544

BILD0179.jpg?t=1276624498
    Here he is on the deck
    BILD0175.jpg?t=1276624473

BILD0173.jpg

By his water bowl
    BILD0169.jpg?t=1276624568

Biting a fingers and toes is normal for a pup because he is prob teething and so on. I would suggest you get him a soft toy in a few weeks when he is older, becuase when we got our westie 13 years ago, he ate the legs of our good table and chairs in the dining room when his teeth were coming down!!

Other than that, if he goes for your fingers but ball your hand into a fist and he will soon learn that he cant bite!

He looks adorable by the way! Wish my little man was still a puppy!! They learn quickly aswell so you should have no bother with them at all!!

the_syco wrote: »
    My westie, Holly, is now on Beta senior. She's about 13 or 14 years old now. Please remember: westies are ratters. We give her a durable garden glove, and she attacks it every so often :D

Try and let her mix with other dogs, and get your niece to learn about how not to treat dogs. Most importantly, ensure she never creeps up on the dog from behind, and try to "catch" the dog. Most dogs tend to snap at this.

My own westie hates small kids (used to back away from them, barking) as we think she had a run in with one when she was younger, and isn't all that friendly with larger dogs. Thus, get your dog to meet other dogs, and ensure the niece treats the dog correctly.

Finally, is your westie throughbred, or not? If she is, find out from where you got her what shampoo to use, as their skin can be irritated by the wrong one.

He's already met my niece, they had a play chase. He was good with her and vica versa.
    Biting a fingers and toes is normal for a pup because he is prob teething and so on. I would suggest you get him a soft toy in a few weeks when he is older, becuase when we got our westie 13 years ago, he ate the legs of our good table and chairs in the dining room when his teeth were coming down!!

Other than that, if he goes for your fingers but ball your hand into a fist and he will soon learn that he cant bite!

He looks adorable by the way! Wish my little man was still a puppy!! They learn quickly aswell so you should have no bother with them at all!!

He's got a chew to right beside him but he prefers my fingers :pac:

He's having a sleep now. Hope he's not settled for the night, as I hope he goes toilet before I go to bed.

I wouldnt say he is settled for the night. Id say he is just having a nap.

If he doesnt wake before you sleep tho throw some newspaper around his bed and by the door. Chances are that he will want to go as far away from his bed as possible.

Also use a lot of paper and spread it out, dogs dont like to mix their business on the same paper if you know what i mean!! LOL

Just enjoy it tho, he will grow so fast!! Also I read a point earlier about using shampoo on their skin. You should ask your vet about it when you go. Westies are really prone to skin conditions so you should try not to wash them often. Use a mild neutral shampoo when you do. Other then that.....Have fun you might be in for a long night.

If he doesnt settle a hot water bottle and a little clock in his bed will help him. makes him think he is still with his mother and siblings!!

Im so jealous Id love to be starting out again!! That makes me feel so old and I was only 10 when we got our little fella LOL

I wouldnt say he is settled for the night. Id say he is just having a nap.

If he doesnt wake before you sleep tho throw some newspaper around his bed and by the door. Chances are that he will want to go as far away from his bed as possible.

Also use a lot of paper and spread it out, dogs dont like to mix their business on the same paper if you know what i mean!! LOL

Just enjoy it tho, he will grow so fast!! Also I read a point earlier about using shampoo on their skin. You should ask your vet about it when you go. Westies are really prone to skin conditions so you should try not to wash them often. Use a mild neutral shampoo when you do. Other then that.....Have fun you might be in for a long night.

If he doesnt settle a hot water bottle and a little clock in his bed will help him. makes him think he is still with his mother and siblings!!

Im so jealous Id love to be starting out again!! That makes me feel so old and I was only 10 when we got our little fella LOL

If you want to toilet train him go right ahead :) I'll talk to the vet about his skin.

And to answer a previous questions, noth his parents are IKC registered Westies.

Don't be putting too much pressure on yourself for him to be perfect straight away either Ivy, its going to take time so enjoy it as much as you can.

I personally wouldn't recommend too much milk for him it can sicken their tums but if he's used to it already then that's ok. As for shampoo, my vet recommended Johnsons baby shampoo (the ordinary yellow one) and my fella's skin is perfect. I only wash him every 6 weeks or so and if he gets wet in between washes I stretch the wash further.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He's having a sleep now. Hope he's not settled for the night, as I hope he goes toilet before I go to bed.

Just bring him out before you go to bed - this is what I used to do with our guy so I could get as much sleep as possibe before it was time for dawn poo-poo patrol!!! I got this heat pad from zooplus and found it brilliant for him - once he went into the crate at night he'd go asleep on it straight away. We had the dog cover for it but he chewed the zipper off it - a blanket around the heat pad is just as good. Our guy didn't cry at all the first night but the crate was up in my room - he had an accident in the crate twice (twice ever not the first night) when I didn't get to him in time and no messing with papers. NB they'll chew up the puppy training pads so don't waste your money - I should have said that the other day!!

Well the night went without any problems! He went to the toilet in a newspaper but I think that was luck :P He also destroyed another sheet of newspaper!

He was fed at 7 am, I'll aim his next feed at 11. He howled a little bit last night. I introduced him to a tennis ball and he loves it!

BILD0192.jpg

BILD0197.jpg

BILD0195.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hes adorable, love the pics.

Just one bit of advice, i wouldnt be feeding him any milk at all as it doesnt agree with dogs. They are actually lactose intolerant so it can make them very sick. Just mix the food with a little warm water if you want to soften it but dont use milk.:)

Advertisement