Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calibres and their uses?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

:eek: :o won't ask ya to prove it :p

In hindsight, was it Nicholas Flood's case that paved the way for rifles above .270?
    I'd be in agreement there, I shot with Nicholas many years ago. I have not seen him in years though.

IMHO we may see a lot more theoritical things being enforced in relation to firearms in the future :eek::(
    With a change of govt on the Cards who knows what Mr Gilmore would do. labour are primarily a city party like the greens. i'd be afraid of a labour green coalition for all calibres!!

That is why I believe I got good advice. Tick all boxes.
    if it costs no extra take it all.

So if any reading this about to renew, I would advise tick all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Nicholas is in the UK, studying I think.

Shot with him myself.

A true gent and a great shooter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'd be in agreement there, I shot with Nicholas many years ago.
    Not to belabour it, but the actual case which opened the doors for .308s was Frank Brophy's case where he licenced an ISSF 50m pistol (a Toz-35 if I remember rightly). Once that case went through, the Gardai dropped the entire policy of only licencing shotguns and rifles up to .270 Winchester. From that point on, any calibre of rifle would be considered for licencing.

edit: we mentioned it on here at the time.

There is a theory that that policy was dropped because at the time the Garda Commissioner and the Minister for Justice were at loggerheads over certain aspects of how C3 was run... but I couldn't possibly comment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

jwshooter wrote: »
    wording " The firearm may be used by the holder only for killing animals or birds other than protected wild animals or protected wild birds with in the meaning of the wildlife act 1976 abd 2000 "
    The new licence doesn't have the conditions printed on them, but the letter it comes with does.

Additionally, what you put down on your application has a bearing on your licence and what the firearm is to be used for. This is the basis for the certificate being granted in the first place. Having a 'chat' with the Super is not actually an application...

Finally, your firearms certificate can be revoked at any time for the following reasons:
    5.—(1) An issuing person may at any time revoke a firearm certificate granted by the person if satisfied that the holder of the certificate—
    (a) has not a good reason for requiring the firearm to which the certificate relates,
    (b) is a person who cannot, without danger to the public safety or security or the peace, be permitted to possess a firearm,
    (c) is a person who is declared by this Act to be disentitled to hold a firearm certificate,
    (d) where the firearm certificate limits the purposes for which the firearm to which it relates may be used, is using the firearm for purposes not authorised by the certificate,
    (e) has not complied with a condition attached to the grant of the certificate, or
    (f) where the firearm is authorised to be carried or used by a holder of a firearms training certificate, has, without reasonable excuse, permitted the holder of that certificate to carry or use the firearm while not under his or her supervision

You also sign this bit on the form:
    I declare that the information provided by me in relation to this application is true to the best of my knowledge and belief. I understand that I may be liable to prosecution if knowingly give false or misleading information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Weather a gun licence covers a person to use a given caliber on varmint or not is no excusce ,imo.Nor saying that a round is best suited to the land its been used on rather than the animal it was designed for .Varmint rounds for varmint and game round for game.Both can and do be used in either rolls but is a bad practice ,imo:(.
    This the very reason i put up a thread about a good varmint round.Have been using my .270 on and off on varmint ,rabbits,crows......One thing i have noticed is the round would just pin hole some rabbits and they would get to the hole:o.Great as a stalking caliber but not really suited for rabbits :confused:

• Advertisement

pat58 wrote: »
    This the very reason i put up a thread about a good varmint round.Have been using my .270 on and off on varmint ,rabbits,crows......One thing i have noticed is the round would just pin hole some rabbits and they would get to the hole:o.Great as a stalking caliber but not really suited for rabbits :confused:

Were you using ballistic tipped rounds or hollow points?

On a lighter not just after popping a magger at 282 with the Humble .223 :D
    And There are folk mowing Silage everywhere today so lots of varminting to come :D:D:D:D

Unfortunately 'Varmint' or vermin covers a multitude of quarry from goats and foxes down to crows and pigeons.

Trying to find a round that's suitable for all would be an exercise in frustration. The .22 would be the most versatile in that it would run the entire range possibly being a bit light for foxes and the like, but still effective at shorter ranges. My own preference would be the .22 as it's got plenty of variation in rounds available, cheap to run and will require you to learn a bit of stalking to get close enough to the bigger stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

For all the lecturing on here by certain shooter of ethical shots and bullet placement on the likes of deer but have no problems using non fragment game rounds ,on rabbits and other varmint:confused:.If the role was reversed and shooters were using varmint rounds on game ,there would be uproar and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

You know those plastic tipped .17HMR rounds? Those should do the job for bunnies... I have a video somewhere of a fella in Australia hunting, IIRC squirrels, with em. In Sweden people I know hunt deer using .22LR Yellow Jackets, and have gotten kills at 200 yards- something I thought impossible. The yellow fragments quite a LOT. Oh, quick question. I am to apply for a .22LR soon, probably a Walther G22 semi. Would target shooting and rabbits be Ok? Can one legally target shoot on private land with backstop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Hi, you may have problems licencing a G22 as I think it's considered a "bullpup" rifle and may even be on the "restricted" list :rolleyes:

You cannot engage in target shooting on private land with any rifle now but you can "zero" your rifle for hunting ;)

Shooting bunnies is allowed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

Ah. Thought it looked a bit 'military'. There is a lovely remington for cheap on shoot.ie that I also like. I noted some 'competency' thingy. Where you must prove your competence with a firearm. How can I go about claiming competency? Would having air-soft as a hobby (hence knowing that the end with the hole is dangerous :P) count? And I suppose bunnies are target practice :P. OT but does anyone know why 'dynamic shooting' (like IPSC) is illegal? It makes no sense to me.

Were you using ballistic tipped rounds or hollow points?

On a lighter not just after popping a magger at 282 with the Humble .223 :D
    And There are folk mowing Silage everywhere today so lots of varminting to come :D:D:D:D
    Ballisitic tip federal 110gr .Does the .270 come in HP?

rrpc wrote: »
    Unfortunately 'Varmint' or vermin covers a multitude of quarry from goats and foxes down to crows and pigeons.

Trying to find a round that's suitable for all would be an exercise in frustration. The .22 would be the most versatile in that it would run the entire range possibly being a bit light for foxes and the like, but still effective at shorter ranges. My own preference would be the .22 as it's got plenty of variation in rounds available, cheap to run and will require you to learn a bit of stalking to get close enough to the bigger stuff.
    Getting in close on deer is not my problem;)Just think there are better suited calibers for rabbits and other vermin than my .270.After all the bunny deserves the same respect on a clean kill as any other game.Toms recent posts on varmint rounds on my thread, opened my eyes as to the merits of sole purpose built rounds for varmint hunting:eek:

I meant soft point but either way you answered my question, I was hunting bunnies a few years back with my 6.6 Mauser and the other guy had a .270 Remington. I did notice his kills were no more lethal than mine. I also noticed they were less lethal than the swift or .223.

They worked well though as it was windy that day and wet.
    I find hornady the best for mushing, although I used Norma Ballistic tipped in a 6.5 sako and mauser and got great results.

I have dug up the heads from sand to see what the look like and they are only a small jagged piece off copper unrecognizable from what they were

Getting in close on deer is not my problem;)Just think there are better suited calibers for rabbits and other vermin than my .270.After all the bunny deserves the same respect on a clean kill as any other game.Toms recent posts on varmint rounds on my thread, opened my eyes as to the merits of sole purpose built rounds for varmint hunting:eek:

thats why the American come in slow twists to stabilize light bullets. As they only use them on small critters.

The Tikka are AFAK the only fast twist small calibre rifles for 65grain plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

yep 90 gr TNT there called . there fairly savage

yep 90 gr TNT there called . there fairly savage

90 grain in a .270 would be very explosive if the .25-06 is anything to go by.

The 5.6x52 fired an 80grain and it would rip a fox in half

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Phractal wrote: »
    OT but does anyone know why 'dynamic shooting' (like IPSC) is illegal? It makes no sense to me.

Have a poke around older threads on here. Short version: it's political, so making sense has nothing to do with it.

Well the .22 was always considered to be a light vermin round (let's not go all American ;)) and has been used in this country for decades for that purpose. People get all excited about larger calibres now that they can get them, but they seem to lose sight of the old rule of using the right tool for the job.

Well the .22 was always considered to be a light vermin round (let's not go all American ;)) and has been used in this country for decades for that purpose. People get all excited about larger calibres now that they can get them, but they seem to lose sight of the old rule of using the right tool for the job.

so has 22-250s and any other cal that was available ,just the interweb has not been around for lads to talk about it .

iv been shooting long range a long time now ,long before boards .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

why the hell would anyone go out with a .223 or bigger and shoot rabbits with ballistic tips? the rabbit would only be fit to go in the ditch, and you'd need a shovel to pick them up. :mad: sounds like a waste to me, some guy complaining theres a lack of rabbits and others splashing them around the country. if you want to see splashes and bang soot milk cartons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

why the hell would anyone go out with a .223 or bigger and shoot rabbits with ballistic tips? the rabbit would only be fit to go in the ditch, and you'd need a shovel to pick them up. :mad: sounds like a waste to me, some guy complaining theres a lack of rabbits and others splashing them around the country. if you want to see splashes and bang soot milk cartons.

A head shot bunny with a ballistic tip results in a headless, yet otherwise un-damaged bunny, fully fit to be eaten.

Some people also like to go long range bunny shooting. Said bunnies can be used as fox or crow bait, so wouldn't necessarily go to waste either.

292 .223 ballistic Tipped moly V-Max hornady, does that answer your question?
    116748.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It's a simple equation: the bullet needs to stop the quarry and the quarry needs to stop the bullet.

That, Sir, is the most appropriate and most sensible comment I've read on these pages for a long time.

tac
    Supporter of The Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

who shot that for you tac

who shot that for you tac

I was going to say something smart, but in the interest of public relations I will just say good joke ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

292 .223 ballistic Tipped moly V-Max hornady, does that answer your question?
    116748.jpg
    292 yards,head shot:eek: .Thats fine shooting by anybodys standards;).

Thanks Tom, they were out playing 6 in Total I got 4.

Eating barley, in a week or so i won't be able to see them with grain growth so I may get as many as I can now

so has 22-250s and any other cal that was available ,just the interweb has not been around for lads to talk about it .

iv been shooting long range a long time now ,long before boards .
    Hmmm...

And before the interweb there was the telephone and running concurrently with that was the bar stool.

Just think of the interweb as a bigger bar stool and you get the picture :p

And Tack, could you crop the pictures the same way you crop the bunnies? A little bit smaller and they fit in the pot (page) perfectly :D

• Advertisement

Hmmm...

And before the interweb there was the telephone and running concurrently with that was the bar stool.

Just think of the interweb as a bigger bar stool and you get the picture :p

And Tack, could you crop the pictures the same way you crop the bunnies? A little bit smaller and they fit in the pot (page) perfectly :D

no, I do not know how to! I am not a great googler, I am more a hands on person!

I have no option to crop. I insert URL of my image into the place provided.

But big pic or small pic 292 yard bunny's did not complain

Advertisement