Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calibres and their uses?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

no, I do not know how to! I am not a great googler, I am more a hands on person!

I have no option to crop. I insert URL of my image into the place provided.

Photobucket has an edit option for all photos hosted on their site. Cropping is one of them, I use it the odd time to cut out scenery that's not needed. Mess around with it and see what you get, you have the option when using it to save a copy of the original photo so you won't lose it by accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

johngalway wrote: »
    Photobucket has an edit option for all photos hosted on their site. Cropping is one of them, I use it the odd time to cut out scenery that's not needed. Mess around with it and see what you get, you have the option when using it to save a copy of the original photo so you won't lose it by accident.
    He's using a Nokia camera phone (5800 XPress) and not going through photobucket, so that option isn't available.

Windows paint will crop and resize a photo easily in two steps:

Open the photo in paint, just right click and choose 'open' or 'open with', 'paint'

Use the select tool to select the area of the photo you want (the tools have help text when you hover over them).

When you've selected what you want, go to the Image menu and choose 'crop'

The image is cropped down to the boundaries you set with the select tool.

You can then resize the image on a percentage basis by choosing 'resize/skew' from the image menu and entering the percentage you want to resize to, I chose 50% for horizontal and vertical and then saved the new image.

And here it is:

116770.jpg

Good shot btw, it's about equivalent to what our lads are expected to do at 300m standing, 20 times ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

rrpc wrote: »
    He's using a Nokia camera phone (5800 XPress) and not going through photobucket, so that option isn't available.

Windows paint will crop and resize a photo easily in two steps:

Open the photo in paint, just right click and choose 'open' or 'open with', 'paint'

Use the select tool to select the area of the photo you want (the tools have help text when you hover over them).

When you've selected what you want, go to the Image menu and choose 'crop'

The image is cropped down to the boundaries you set with the select tool.

You can then resize the image on a percentage basis by choosing 'resize/skew' from the image menu and entering the percentage you want to resize to, I chose 50% for horizontal and vertical and then saved the new image.

And here it is:

116770.jpg

Good shot btw, it's about equivalent to what our lads are expected to do at 300m standing, 20 times ;)

Thanks for the photo tips I'll try them out!

In regards to the bunnies, they were mov ing targets, running around in circles playing. They would not sit still for longer than a second.

I hope this dispels the myth that bunnies can not be used if hunted with a centrefire.

I shoot a lot of bunnies for a few elderly people who like the taste of them.
    I always shoot head shots unless not possible.
    I have shot rabbits at similar distances with the .308 and skinned paunched and eaten same.

I'm not expecting you to agree as many don't; but in my experience hunting rabbits is the best way to practice for deer as no two shots are the same, the conditions always vary.

I am determined this summer to stretch my range on bunnies, unfortunately they never oblige me and are always at shorter distances 200 or 300.

Thanks for the photo tips I'll try them out!

In regards to the bunnies, they were mov ing targets, running around in circles playing. They would not sit still for longer than a second.

I hope this dispels the myth that bunnies can not be used if hunted with a centrefire.

I shoot a lot of bunnies for a few elderly people who like the taste of them.
    I always shoot head shots unless not possible.
    I have shot rabbits at similar distances with the .308 and skinned paunched and eaten same.

I'm not expecting you to agree as many don't; but in my experience hunting rabbits is the best way to practice for deer as no two shots are the same, the conditions always vary.

I am determined this summer to stretch my range on bunnies, unfortunately they never oblige me and are always at shorter distances 200 or 300.

Test for RRPC Benefit!
    116773.jpg

Thanks for that RRPC, it's a small bit of additional work, but if it makes the rest of the posters happy I will do it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Totally agree with Tack and JohnG

I've used my swift for years to cull rabbits and will continue to do so for as long as i can shoot true. That said, the majority of my bunny hunting is still done with the .22lr.

Fact is, i like this type of shooting.

Where i live and shoot there is alot of open rolling land and plenty of high bank double drain ditches and in these areas it is quite safe to shoot at extended range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 blaserlrs2

292 .223 ballistic Tipped moly V-Max hornady, does that answer your question?
    116748.jpg
    Very good shooting ,

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Totally agree with Tack and JohnG

I've used my swift for years to cull rabbits and will continue to do so for as long as i can shoot true. That said, the majority of my bunny hunting is still done with the .22lr.

Fact is, i like this type of shooting.

Where i live and shoot there is alot of open rolling land and plenty of high bank double drain ditches and in these areas it is quite safe to shoot at extended range.

Most Farmers have taken out ditches so one has to adapt to new shooting scenarios. Also the introduction of varmint style rounds for centrefire has changed what happens upon hitting.

I started varminting 10 years ago in earnest and have never looked back.
    I was tired of hold over on short ranges with the .22. I am on target within an inch all the way out to 200 and the hold over for 300 is 2moa which is not ridiculous
    Most Irish conditions are quite similar to wear where I shoot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Most Farmers have taken out ditches so one has to adapt to new shooting scenarios. Also the introduction of varmint style rounds for centrefire has changed what happens upon hitting.

I started varminting 10 years ago in earnest and have never looked back.
    I was tired of hold over on short ranges with the .22. I am on target within an inch all the way out to 200 and the hold over for 300 is 2moa which is not ridiculous
    Most Irish conditions are quite similar to wear where I shoot

10 years a go and your longest shot is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

jwshooter wrote: »
    Don't keep us in suspense jw :D

• Advertisement

jwshooter wrote: »

I only got a good quality scope in 2007 and 368 yards head shot is my best to date. Not any good by your standard but I have not enough time to spend shooting working full time and doing college part time

But I will get to 600 soon I hope my personal goal for a head shot bunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

I only got a good quality scope in 2007 and 368 yards head shot is my best to date. Not any good by your standard but I have not enough time to spend shooting working full time and doing college part time

But I will get to 600 soon I hope my personal goal for a head shot bunny.
    Did you aim for the head on bunny or did you hit him in the head while aiming for his shoulder ,tack?368 yards head shooting bunnys is amazing ;).Now be honest :p

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Did you aim for the head on bunny or did you hit him in the head while aiming for his shoulder ,tack?368 yards head shooting bunnys is amazing ;).Now be honest :p

It was aimed at his head, It was the second shot. I have not repeated it though since. It was a very calm day no wind and the bunny did not see me;)

I hear of 700+ yards on bunnies to me, That is amazing!

It was aimed at his head, It was the second shot. I have not repeated it though since. It was a very calm day no wind and the bunny did not see me;)

I hear of 700+ yards on bunnies to me, That is amazing!
    Not been smart and not doubting your shot but if you &your rifle can head shoot a bunny at that distance ,why you not knocking bunnys at greater distance ,bud ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Not been smart and not doubting your shot but if you &your rifle can head shoot a bunny at that distance ,why you not knocking bunnys at greater distance ,bud ?

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::D:D:D

Well quite simple really, I'm only seeing them at the 2-300 mark.

Or at even less range.
    I have only a couple of fields with a safe 600 yard rabbits are not there when i want them to be.

not exciting but the truth.
    Sorry if that dissapoints, Plus I need a spotter out past that range

Well quite simple really, I'm only seeing them at the 2-300 mark.

Or at even less range.
    I have only a couple of fields with a safe 600 yard rabbits are not there when i want them to be.

not exciting but the truth.
    Sorry if that dissapoints, Plus I need a spotter out past that range
    I understand now,we will have to meet up over the next few months and ill bring you over to some fields with lots of bunnys at a bit of distance:D

I understand now,we will have to meet up over the next few months and ill bring you over to some fields with lots of bunnys at a bit of distance:D

I tested out the .308 there now "to make sure she was still zero'd I fired a couple of shots" at a safe backstop
    Here are the results. .308 BT and Soft point, both 155grain Hornady

I could not find anything left of the BT's I fired 2, and I fired 2 soft nose "to make sure the zero "
    I only found a tiny spec. It is in one of the below pics investigation ;)

I tested out the .308 there now "to make sure she was still zero'd I fired a couple of shots" at a safe backstop

I could not find anything left of the BT's I fired 2, and I fired 2 soft nose "to make sure the zero "

i posted 2 pics in error, i can't delete them, If anybody knows how please explain ;)

• Advertisement

Lord I put the wrong pic again

anyway
    3rd time lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

i posted 2 pics in error, i can't delete them, If anybody knows how please explain ;)

Edit --> Go Advanced --> Manage Attachments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Phractal wrote: »
    How can I go about claiming competency?

Deleting all your posts on here would be a start.

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    Deleting all your posts on here would be a start.

MF

That is a bit harsh there are competency courses available all over the country.
    The owness is on more experienced shooters to share knowledge with others. It's how we all progress

I find every day a school day.
    I think there are few that would say they know it all;)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

i agree, and especially as when the .308 was invented BT'd rounds were not invented.

Yes, they were, they just didn't use plastic in those days, and they had proprietary names like "silvertip" & "bronze point". But that doesn't mean you're wrong to agree with his point otherwise.

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    Yes, they were, they just didn't use plastic in those days, and they had proprietary names like "silvertip" & "bronze point". But that doesn't mean you're wrong to agree with his point otherwise.

I'm not sure what you mean there?

I fired a few .308's today BT's no remnants left after hitting fox sand.

Soft points left some remains and a more defined hole.

Advertisement