Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused about Weight

• 12-06-2010 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Im training in MMA in Cork and my fitness has shot up.Only thing my weight for my age (15) Isnt healthy im 94KG.But im building alot of muscle in my shoulders and arms lately and could this be why im not losing weight?Ill admit my diet is also ****e so if u guys could give me tips on that aswell.I Train 3 times a week..Strength nd conditoning Monday,MMA Wed & Sat.Any help would be apriciated.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Whats your diet actually like?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

Well i do eat a lot of junk but i eat healthy dinners greens potatos red meat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    Well i do eat a lot of junk but i eat healthy dinners greens potatos red meat
    Junk and healthy meals dont balance out.Stop eating the junk.
    Simple but effective

But i dont now what to eat wheni want a snack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

But i dont now what to eat wheni want a snack
    Fruit,some almonds,leftover chicken.Personally im a fan of sunflower seeds
    A snack doesn't mean eat sh!te(although it is marketed that way)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have a nutrition and fitness forums OP, they have some very serious trainers and athletes there, you could try asking them.

That said I would be slow to follow any advice from online which you dont agree with yourself. If you want a professional response, ask a professional.

From my experience, if you are building muscle then you wont see much weight loss as muscle is more dense then fat and thus weighs more per volume.

What you are looking for is a BMI, a Body Mass Indictator. This will give you an idea of your body-fat ratio and it should be around 20. Get this done professionally, I got a scales which claimed to do it and it told me I was obese (I'm 12 stone and 5'10" :) )

As for diet, take the time to have someone do it for you, someone professional. Its important, you are what you eat etc.
    Find healthy stuff you like to eat and snack on that. Its not as hard as you might think, but beware of nuts, cheese and yogurt if you have cholesterol issues.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

your coach is there for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Im training in MMA in Cork and my fitness has shot up.Only thing my weight for my age (15) Isnt healthy im 94KG.But im building alot of muscle in my shoulders and arms lately and could this be why im not losing weight?Ill admit my diet is also ****e
    You answered you're own question dude. It's virtually impossible to lose weight if your diet is bad. Cut out the crappy food and keep up the training. Simples! :pac:

As an aside, in my experience BMI is a load of willy. Quite innacurate, only offer an indication to unfit people.

Anyone carrying any sort of mucsle will be showing up on the unhealthy side of the scale, regardless of how much fat they are carrying.

I find the mirror and the weighing scales to be the best measurement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

your coach is there for a reason.

+1

And so is Mum!.. At 15 yrs old and 94kgs, my God - speak to mum about about healthy meals before coming online seeking advice, after all, who is financing this unhealthy 'shite' diet you have at present?..

Seriously, you've more than a few posts here so obviously your personally motivated. But you really should discuss this with those who feed you, and as Ray says, your coach.

• Advertisement

But i was always a big kid.Am i HUGE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Just eat a small bit less,no big deal.Enjoy your training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

How Tall are you my man?

TechnoPool wrote: »
    How Tall are you my man?

5-9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

im 5,8 - 5,9 and just under 70kgs and im 19
    just to give you guys and idea of the size difference

I used to be 110kg so you've no real excuse tbh

It doesnt matter what weight anyone else is man, nobody needs to hear that.

If you want to lose weight, then clean up your diet.
    If you dont want to lose weight, then don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Cut out the junk food, if you eat good meals that's all you need.

also cardio, cardio, and then some more cardio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

dont worry about it im 5'4 and have at times hit 80kg, weight is a number wat you want to check is your body fat % that will give you a better indication, anyting below 25 is healthy, below 20 would be an athletic body fat %, go to a health food place, abd pick up sunflower seeds, you can get a load of fruits covered in yoghurt and variety but mixs, all great snacks even a nutrigrain, cut out white bread, and white rice and pasta, eat 6 times a day instead of 3 and snacking! drink more water and take vitamins,

your body stores fat when its unsure of its next meal, so if you let your body know you going to fed it regularly ir wont store any

empacher wrote: »
    dont worry about it im 5'4 and have at times hit 80kg, weight is a number wat you want to check is your body fat % that will give you a better indication, anyting below 25 is healthy, below 20 would be an athletic body fat %, go to a health food place, abd pick up sunflower seeds, you can get a load of fruits covered in yoghurt and variety but mixs, all great snacks even a nutrigrain, cut out white bread, and white rice and pasta, eat 6 times a day instead of 3 and snacking! drink more water and take vitamins,

your body stores fat when its unsure of its next meal, so if you let your body know you going to fed it regularly ir wont store any
    Eh no. Thats obese in body fat. You're talking about bmi which is as useful as magic beans

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ok, soooo its a good idea to ask a professional. :)

DeV.

empacher wrote: »

I dont know that much about nutrition.But im not going to eat 6 times a day as im only 15 and i dont need vitamins to get me up in the morning.Im not training Everyday Just Monday Wedensday and saturday.I weigh in last night at 94.9KG im starting to cut down to 85KG For the next league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Look up the caveman diet.

Plenty of protein (clean cuts of meat, fish, poultry) and veg (esp greens)

Stay away from processed food e.g. pizza, anything from a can etc...

Get some good quality EPA/DHA (fish oil) into your diet to kill the cravings.

Basically cut back on the non nutrious **** you eat and eat plenty of healthy foods instead.

Diet is vastly more important to fat loss than exercise. Plus if it is fat loss you want, don't buy into the cardio myth. Get lean by lifting heavy and doing sprints.

Carrying more muscle will increase the amount of fat you burn throughout the day.

Look up the caveman diet.

Plenty of protein (clean cuts of meat, fish, poultry) and veg (esp greens)

Stay away from processed food e.g. pizza, anything from a can etc...

Get some good quality EPA/DHA (fish oil) into your diet to kill the cravings.

Basically cut back on the non nutrious **** you eat and eat plenty of healthy foods instead.

Diet is vastly more important to fat loss than exercise. Plus if it is fat loss you want, don't buy into the cardio myth. Get lean by lifting heavy and doing sprints.

Carrying more muscle will increase the amount of fat you burn throughout the day.

I had conditioning last night and went for a 2 mile run today with my brother , i lost 0.9 of a kilo which is nearly 2 pound i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

I had conditioning last night and went for a 2 mile run today with my brother , i lost 0.9 of a kilo which is nearly 2 pound i think

Assuming you weighed yourself after your run, the likelihood is that you sweated out about .9 of a kilo, you didn't work off that much fat.

Talk to someone who knows about nutrition, mention to your parents that you want to lose weight and tell your coach that you want to drop down a weight category or two and listen to their advice and things will go a lot better for you I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

thats water weight. you cant lose that much fat in that little time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

Becareful with that. Its very easy to loose 2lbs after a intense training or run, but it is all water weight. Once you replenish your fluids (which you should) this weight will be gained again. So dont be disheartened if your down after training and then up again on your days off.

Try to clean up your diet bit by bit and make better food choices (not too strict or else you wont stick to it) and aim for about .5kg-1kg loss a week. Weigh yourself on your days off so you know your true weight, an not your after training weight when you body is lacking fluids.

And best of luck dude!

I need to lose 1 and a half pound a week to get to 85KG by sep 11th

well 1kg= 2.2lbs so its definitely managable

• Advertisement

Was just chatting to the coach.Cut out the ****,Jog,and Train Hard.
    He said i shouldnt try to cut so much weight as im too young and inexperienced at cutting.And with nerves i wont have energy if i cut too much

your not cutting weight, you want to lose it.

Weight cutting is the practice of rapid weight loss prior to a sporting competition. It most frequently happens in order to qualify for a lower weight class (usually in combat sports, where weight is a significant advantage)

Intentional weight loss refers to the loss of total body mass in an effort to improve fitness and health, and to change appearance.

Cutting 10kgs of weight would very dangerous and possibly fatal, loosing 10kgs of weight over time could be quite beneficial.

Hope that clears up the difference between cutting and loosing weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

You need to sort out diet first dude. Firstly, forget about losing weight as a number of kg's, especially at your age. Concentrate on lowering your %bodyfat and increasing your strength and lean muscle mass. You shouldn’t worry at all about cutting at your age.

Just for interest sake (and Im not trying to be funny or rude here) do you consider yourself a fat 94kg or well built? There’s a huge difference between the two.

You say your diet is ****e-your going to have to clarify what ****e means before anyone here (or anywhere really) can give you solid advice. So eat away as normal for the next two weeks or so, but write down everything you eat, as you eat it. That includes meals, snacks, drinks (including beers etc-yup you shouldn’t be drinking at your age, but if you are stick em on the list :) ), everything. If you don’t fancy carrying a notebook around to take notes, use your mobile phone, just put a text in with what you’ve eaten and save it. Its important to be as thorough as possible-if your eating crisps, chocolate, etc put in the name of the product, and if possible, the amount of calories in it.

I know it seems like micromanagement, but its gotta be done. Once you have the two weeks out of the way, you need to work the average amount of calories you’ve eaten each day from the information you’ve written down-this is why its important to be as thorough as possible when tracking what you eat during the two weeks.

Once you know how much calories your eating, you need to find out how many calories you actually need. There are various formulas and the like floating around to determine this, and your probably in the 2500-3000 range on the stats you’ve given us, so from there you work out a diet that you can stick to.

There are tons diet styles to choose out there, warrior diets, paleo diets, high protein diets, low carb diets, cow farmer diets, tons of them. Some will make you eat six times a day, some make you eat once or twice, but basically in the end, they all rely on maintaining the correct amount of calories (either a deficit or a surplus) for your goals (fat loss or muscle gain). Again, the most important part of any diet is consistency-if you keep breaking it the structure, its pointless. Throw me a PM if you want and I’ll help you out designing one.

Once your consistently dropping bodyfat through diet, then you can start concentrating on your Strength and Conditioning for MMA training.

The advantage you have in all this, is that at 15, your body will adapt to training changes quickly, and you have loads of time to get in proper shape before competing.

Just on a side note to the chaps that were saying he should have a chat to his Ma…for sure, she’s most likely to blame for funding his diet, cooking meals etc but we should also keep in mind-

a) Currently our education system doesn’t promote Physical Education as a proper subject (i.e. one that will give you Leaving Cert points) in our secondary school system.
    b) Our school gym facilites, and in most cases, coaches (do we even have any??) suck.
    c) If education and training facilities for kids and teenagers are crap or non existent, its very hard for someone such as this chap to establish a starting point for getting fit and the like-and his Ma (again not being funny or rude) may not be the best person to go to regarding nutritional advice (bar the obvious part of cutting the crap out of the diet and cooking cleaner food).

This might sound stupid but for the last 2 days ive not eaten junk and feel great for my meals i have less potatoes more greens and meat.I went for a 2 mile run yesterday and Have MMA Training tonight aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

This might sound stupid but for the last 2 days ive not eaten junk and feel great for my meals i have less potatoes more greens and meat.I went for a 2 mile run yesterday and Have MMA Training tonight aswell

that does not sound stupid, that sounds smart.. keep it up and you'll get your goal.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

i lost 15kg in about 9 months, didnt do anything drastic , just started to use smaller plates , bowls and mugs etc. this also sounds a bit obvious, but remember to stop eating when your full and not when your plate is empty , thats the single best tip i ever got ,the amount of food that you eat when you're already full is surprising

Ive nearly reached my goal ive lost 1 Pound just need to burn 0.5 of a pound and im sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭kravicecreama

hey daniel2009,
    this is a cool thread.;Lots of people have issues over their fighting weight but its hard to get facts.
    While lots of people have posted advice there isnt much about an actual diet plan being posted here. Can you please post roughly what your diet was over the last while and what your training system was like.
    For the record, I have the opposite problem from you,being too skinny and unable to gain weight beyond a certain point.
    cherers dude,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Lots of people have issues over their fighting weight ,

Some of us have issues with our sitting down weight.

And this thread has been as informative to me as OP :o

Edit: Oh should add my 2 cent worth, people will say protein this carb that etc, all fine but a big thing with diet is also variety I discovered. Almost as important as what you put into yourself.

You put sh!t in you get sh!t out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Well you get sh!t out either way! :pac:

• Advertisement

Well last 3 days has been Cereal in the morning then Brown bread with ham and cheese for lunch then if im hungry a 0% fat yoghurt and then for dinner Potatoes greens and steak...For dinner last night i had fish and potaoes after training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Make sure you're going for low fat or skimmed milk. I'm not too gone on those 0% fat yoghurts myself because they're usually loaded up with sugar/sweeteners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Im also looking to lose a few kg before the mma league in September, anyone have any good recipies for dinners?

Also whats the best kind of breakfast to have? (I usually eat a bowl of muesli and have a glass of orange juice with it)

Lunch time can be a bit of a mess aswell, especially if you go to work and havent brought a packed lunch. Usually end up eating some random crap at the canteen etc

Any advice for healthy lunches?

Niall0 wrote: »
    Im also looking to lose a few kg before the mma league in September, anyone have any good recipies for dinners?

Also whats the best kind of breakfast to have? (I usually eat a bowl of muesli and have a glass of orange juice with it)

Lunch time can be a bit of a mess aswell, especially if you go to work and havent brought a packed lunch. Usually end up eating some random crap at the canteen etc

What weight are you now?Are you teen?
    For a healthy lunch have some tuna in some brown bread with a bit of pepper :) Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

The best place to get advice on a healthy lunch would be the nutrition and diet forum here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=982

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Avoid canteens like the plague, the amount of fat and calories in canteen lunches you would not believe.

My current lunch is crackerbread with various meat/veg toppings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Can Make Simple Lunches like Caesar salads, throw some lettuce , 1 and a half chicken fillets some croutons into a lunch box and bring it with you, Salad dressing is optional, doh i would use even a little as it could be very dry.

Ryvita with anything works aswell, i like a thin spread of cottage cheese it and then maybe some turkey nice n tasty and full of protein.

Simple Salad's with a Can of Tuna/Salmon , Boiled egg.

All take about 2-3 mins to make.

Try and go for Fresh juices when you can as some contain very little juice and can be full of sugar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I just replied to a similar thread on our forum:

http://forum.informedperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=206&p=2083#p2083

On monday i weighed 94.9 KG Now i Weigh 93.3 KG :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

On monday i weighed 94.9 KG Now i Weigh 93.3 KG :)

Dismorning i weighed 70kg right now im 68kg :)

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement