Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desire update confusion

• 12-06-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I've just got a new Desire and I'm horribly confused about how to go about updating the thing.

The current software version is 1.20.207.3 which I believe is one update behind the current. Checking for updates manually over WiFi tells me it's up to date.
    The thing is, I purchased this phone on o2 prepay. It's o2 branded but unlocked so I just threw my Meteor SIM into it. Who should the update come from then: Meteor, o2, or HTC?

Also, I'm not terribly into the idea of waiting ages for the networks to release updates (Android 2.2 for example), plus I want to get rid of the branding. I'm curious about flashing to a non-branded stock HTC ROM but I'm a bit worried.
    Looking HERE gives me lots of options, but which one should I go for?
    Will I be able to receive future updates automatically if I do this and are there any downsides to it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

maki wrote: »
    I've just got a new Desire and I'm horribly confused about how to go about updating the thing.

The current software version is 1.20.207.3 which I believe is one update behind the current. Checking for updates manually over WiFi tells me it's up to date.
    The thing is, I purchased this phone on o2 prepay. It's o2 branded but unlocked so I just threw my Meteor SIM into it. Who should the update come from then: Meteor, o2, or HTC?

Also, I'm not terribly into the idea of waiting ages for the networks to release updates (Android 2.2 for example), plus I want to get rid of the branding. I'm curious about flashing to a non-branded stock HTC ROM but I'm a bit worried.
    Looking HERE gives me lots of options, but which one should I go for?
    Will I be able to receive future updates automatically if I do this and are there any downsides to it?
    That ROM is ancient

It's O2 branded meaning you have to wait for O2 to release any new ROMs and that may take... Well, let's not get into that :pac:

You can debrand your phone by creating a goldcard. Google it and you'll get a million tutorials. Then all you need to do is get a stock RUU (Which is a stock ROM updater) and then update to the newest ROM.

Just search debrand HTC Desire in Google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Does this do anything to the warrenty when you change the ROM ?

You lose your software warranty. Hardware warranty stays intact though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Thanks for your help so far.

I've created the goldcard and tried to flash the phone but I'm getting error 140 (bootloader version error).
    I've tried both of these:
    RUU_Bravo_HTC_Europe_1.15.405.1_Radio_32.30.00.28U _4.05.00.11_release_121684.exe
    RUU_Bravo_HTC_Europe_1.15.405.3_Radio_32.30.00.28U _4.05.00.11_release_121865.exe

The only ones left are labelled WWE, for example:
    RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4. 06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.exe

Not sure what WWE meant so I didn't try that one.
    Any ideas?

WWE means worldwide edition that's the one you need to flash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Thanks, got it sorted now. Working fine.

One final query: I used the 4gb sd card that came with the phone to create the goldcard. Is it perfectly ok to leave that card in the phone and just use it for storage or do I have to format it back to a normal sd?

It will work as normal.

Advertisement