Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading studio - Need some advice :)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

ha ha ha cool man.

ill hold my useless opinion to myself.if you know it all why ask us questions at all.

best of luck with the warmth hunt,ill be over here making music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bluff1989

I think sean is just trying to point out that your posts are incredibly difficult to follow. I've reread this a couple of times and tbh I'm still fairly lost. You say that you want a machine that simply works but from all accounts it doesn't sound like your mac is really fulfilling that part of your brief anymore. I think people were questioning you over why you wanted buy equipment to better understand your needs and to try and help you make the right decision - it wasn't the spanish inquisition. I think most people on here will tell you it would be very easy to spend 10-12k on equipment and still be missing a lot of what you really need to produce the quality sounds your hoping to make and ending up with a lot of equipment which will be completely redundant to you. I think it would be best to sort out your room and monitors (something I unfortunately haven't got the luxury of doing) and buying one synth to start off with and going from there. Also I think it sounds like your mac could do with replacing or bumping up the ram - something doesn't sound right there.

It aint a mac mate it's a pc. and it runs decent with everything else and had been running grand with native instruments massive.

One rainy day i don't know what exactly happened but all our projects in ableton which included massive started closing themselves off without an error message. As it is "trial software" ;P lol theres not much i can do about it obviously i still have the midi there and copies of the tracks but still and it's only massive out of komplete 5 that is giving this problem.

In response to what sean had to say - Well to be honest he could have asked in a more pleasent manner instead of this smart comment about we're not children here. To be honest his not dr dre himself.

im probably gonna have more than 12 tbh now i might get a few things in september and keep saving until christmas ill be able to get whatever cash i need up to about 20grand so my budget will be ok.
    And i will have more of an idea on hardware since theyll be going through all that jazz in the course im gonna be doing.

@ neurojazz - dude im nearly sure i had checked this before - but i just did a search again and there is only 1 massive.dll C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\VSTPlugins where i keep em all.

The 2 synths im really thinking about getting first off is the moog voyager rme or little phatty and either virus TI snow Virus TI keyboard or polar.
    Which is the best of the lot most capable and best sounding would yas say?

Along with uad quad and a selection of plug ins to accompany my mate gonna have a look through these with me.

Ima be renting studio out the odd day to people for $ so i should make a bit of return on my investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I doubt you'll need a budget that big straight off the bat man. If I were in your position financially I would get a mac pro, a decent interface (like an apogee duet) and synth wise you wouldn't be going far wrong with the moog and access polar.
    Get some decent monitors like adams or focals. At that point I would hold off spending any more money and just concentrate on getting to know all your new equipment If you get too much in one go you'll be overwhelmed and probably wouldn't be making any serious music for a while.
    Then once you have a grip on anything and are making some decent tracks thats when you would need to look at spending the rest of your budget sorting out room acoustics to improve your mixing environment and maybe even negate the need for spending money in a studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

bluff1989 wrote: »
    Virus TI keyboard or polar.

These models get buggy and lose timing on windows machines - something that won't show in an in-store demo, comes with doing a few projects and then it flips out. Check the net for numerous raging posts about these issues. Some users like myself went through 3+ machines and models to find that it was a problem with the machine and not the computer.

The TI snow maybe ok, as yet not tested - or the Powercore Virus which is 100% stable.

Neurojazz wrote: »
    These models get buggy and lose timing on windows machines - something that won't show in an in-store demo, comes with doing a few projects and then it flips out. Check the net for numerous raging posts about these issues. Some users like myself went through 3+ machines and models to find that it was a problem with the machine and not the computer.

The TI snow maybe ok, as yet not tested - or the Powercore Virus which is 100% stable.

Dude is that the same with the TI desktop? How the hell can these guys still be selling em is beyond me...

Are they ok on a mac?

Ta

• Advertisement

Dude is that the same with the TI desktop? How the hell can these guys still be selling em is beyond me...

Are they ok on a mac?

Ta

Desktop has same bugs, and basically access close off all complaints about it - you get no help whatsoever except denials from them and eventually someone from digital village spilled the beans about the OS issues that were causing it.

I can't vouch for mac, and i'd use google to find out what issues there are for all OS if even looking at them.

I was stupid enough to try and get another one after their patch notes showed that they had fixed the timing issues and they hadn't - awful company policy.

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Desktop has same bugs, and basically access close off all complaints about it - you get no help whatsoever except denials from them and eventually someone from digital village spilled the beans about the OS issues that were causing it.

I can't vouch for mac, and i'd use google to find out what issues there are for all OS if even looking at them.

I was stupid enough to try and get another one after their patch notes showed that they had fixed the timing issues and they hadn't - awful company policy.

seems they're having the same problems dont think i can splash out on something i wont be getting support with tbh. it's all with sync and basically they're saying on there forums that you need to set it up properly every time someone has an issue lol..

"My Ti Snows Arps and anything rythmical are so out of time and it will suddenly go out of tune and i have to restart unit"

Marc
    Access Music

have you been in touch with support? mostly the sync problems can be cured by setting everything up the right way.

Lol i notice this is his reply to pretty much all posts in relation to the sync issues.

I love the way he says most aswell..

Gonna keep doing me research i think im definitely going for a moog voyager anyways.. Want to get something like the virus ti though aswell..

Gonna keep doing me research i think im definitely going for a moog voyager anyways.. Want to get something like the virus ti though aswell..

Check the powercore out - you can probably get an old one cheap and get the Virus plugin for few hundred euros... you can also pay another 300 and get like 4 running at same time in the older powercore firewire. Sounds fierce/savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

"something very versatile with an awesome gritty sound"

I'd recommend a Waldorf synth for this. Either the Blofeld, Q or MicrowaveXT (12 bit wavetables should give you true grit!).

The Q is probably the most versatile, the Microwave grittier though. Blofeld is a combination of both and then some but not as many knobs or outputs.

I've owned 2 Viruses and currently own the MicrowaveXT and Blofeld. The Waldorf synths have a lot more personality (IMHO). However they are not warm sounding - they are digital and proud. Perhaps a Waldorf and then a DSI prophet to counteract the grittiness of the Waldorfs?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭oootini

seannash wrote: »
    just a question but are you quite new to producing?

also what softsynths have you got that you feel you need a hardware synth

love the way nash has to chime in everytime someone bashes a soft synth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Theprodigy11

Ive got a Korg radias and a roland sh-101

the radias is a great synth.. but digital synths are just vsts with Knobs...

if ur going to buy hardware buy an analogue synth.. they sound fat and better than digital

Like this --

http://www.future-retro.com/xsoverview.html

if ur going to buy hardware buy an analogue synth.. they sound fat and better than digital

Or the powercore virus :) stable & fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

...if ur going to buy hardware buy an analogue synth.. they sound fat and better than digital...

If I had a quid for every time someone said that I'd be rich. There are crap sounding analogs and crap sounding digital synths. I could find a digital synth that you would swear is analog and vice versa. Use your ears, not some generalizations about 'analog warmth' or 'fatness'.

TheProdigy11 - Does a DCO based synth sound thinner or fatter than a VCO synth? (Hint: this is a trick question)

Advertisement