Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping! Helpp!

Options
  • 12-06-2010 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Me And Some Friends ( 16 + 17 Yrs Old) Are Planning To Wild Camp In Wicklow This Weekend! We Are Planning On Camping Near Knockree A Few Meters Away From The Wicklow Way Paths!

Anyone Know About Lighting Small CampFires There?
    Is It Safe?
    How Far Is Knockree Youth Hostel From Enniskerry?

The Person In Charge Of Organising Really Hasnt A Clue What He Is Doing!

We Are Quiet Teenagers That Are Just Looking To Do Something Different But Safe! We Wouldnt Be Drinking Alcohol etc.. We Would Definiltly Be Bringing All Rubbish etc With Us!
    What We Carry In We Intend To Carry Back Out! Hope Anyone Can Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Main thing is to leave the place as you got it.

I'm not completely sure on the situation of lighting fires, i know it is illegal to do it in the forests, but i'm sure someone else on here has a more definite answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

i know the spot your talking about lad it used to be a great place to go and where i did my first few solo overnights, been ruined recently though i went through it for a walk last week and was disgusted at the amount of rubbish about the place black bags full of the stuff.

there are places there that have been scorched by fire and the ground hasnt been left as it should have been if your in experienced enough light a fire there its not in the forest and the ground has already been ruined a little advice though walk by the river cross the bridge and go left there's a spot there out of the way ish (as much as possible there)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I wouldn't light a fire if possible unless lifted off the gound. Do your cooking on trangias or similar and its bright enough late on not to need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

Take a look here for some tips on responsible camping. http://www.leavenotraceireland.org/

Some of the stuff is a bit over the top but overall the advice is worth reading.

If you want to light a fire, borrow a fire blanket from home and put the fire on that, or else cut out a square of sod and replace it next morning.

Have a good trip:)

Advertisement