Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bureau de change for obscure currencies

Options
  • 12-06-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Been travelling a lot with work, so I've built up a couple of hundred euro's worth of relatively obscure currencies such as Brazilian Rai, South African Rand, and Ghanian Cedis.

Is there any currency conversion outlet in Dublin that I can change them to Euro's without getting exploited in terms of exchange rate or commission?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I say not. Most obscure stuff would be sent on collection for validation before you get credit for it. So best to go to your bank and hand them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Brazilian and South African is quite common. Not sure about Ghanian. As said bank is your best option.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Most banks will change the Rand for you, it's fairly common. I'm not sure of anywhere that will change the Rai, it may have to be sent on collection, which means it could be weeks before you get value for it. I've never heard of anywhere that will change Cedis for you though, I have a feeling that it may be a restricted currency, so the only place you can actually change it is in Ghana. Go down to your own bank though, they'll be able to advise you what the best thing to do is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Stky10 wrote: »
    Been travelling a lot with work, so I've built up a couple of hundred euro's worth of relatively obscure currencies such as Brazilian Rai, South African Rand, and Ghanian Cedis.

Is there any currency conversion outlet in Dublin that I can change them to Euro's without getting exploited in terms of exchange rate or commission?

The Brazilian Real is not a liquid tradeable currency... so exchange rates vary a LOT.. there is nobody who trades at or near the quoted rates (and possibly none in Dublin who will trade at all).

I would advise finding a Brazilian pal or colleague and trading for cash.

Advertisement