Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing Pampas Grass

Options
  • 12-06-2010 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

I removed a large pampas plant last month that dominated my garden. It became a real chore to keep it pruned back. Anyway the roots are re-appearing so I am looking for some advice as to how to get rid of them. Preferably something that does not require any more digging. :)

danjo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

requirements,
    1 container of roundup (small)
    1 latex glove
    1 worn sock
    put on latex glove on your working hand
    put on worn sock over the glove
    apply some undiluted roundup on the sock
    rub the offending plant vigerously with the sock in various places
    await results
    they are always 100% perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

are there new plants growing from it ?

if you are near cork i might dig out a few before you kill it

what variety is it,i have one which is smaller and moe slender than the huge white fluffy one

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Thanks Flutered. That sounds good. Will give it a try.
    danjo

oflynno wrote: »
    are there new plants growing from it ?

if you are near cork i might dig out a few before you kill it

what variety is it,i have one which is smaller and moe slender than the huge white fluffy one

I have no idea of the variety except it grew very high about 15ft. with large plumes.

I have just sown a new lawn so I don't want to do any digging. There are no plants growing from it yet just the spores appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

I just got rid of a pampas plant it took over the garden, it took me weeks to kill it, I tried loads of weedkiller including roundup and nothing. I had cut it right back and what was left was similar to a tree trunk so eventually between using a saw and trying to prise it out of the ground with a spade I got there, cutting the roots with the saw, I hope none of it reappears if I see any type of growth coming from that part of the garden I will cry. Good luck with getting rid of your regrowth, here is a picture of a similar one, that I cut back.grass%20pampas%20grass2.jpg

• Advertisement

I cut mine back completely. Then toppled the root above ground and dug out as much as I could see. Four weeks later and there are spores appearing above the ground. Will try the roundup as suggested. Good luck with yours. It looks the same as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Feck it I have one of these but was planning on moving it, my shed is going where it is. I dont think that will work now. Weed killer and cement over it. The thing would hardly grow up through cement ??

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

what are these spores you are talking about?

oflynno wrote: »
    what are these spores you are talking about?

I will try to get a pic and post.

Advertisement