Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 layz65

cheating always happens in every leaving cert in every school, stop wasting your mental energy worrying about other people and concentrate on your own exams. The supervisors know when people are going to the toilet they are probably checking notes they had on their person but what can be done?strip search ppl b4 the exam?deny them the facility to relieve their bladder or watch them while they urinate?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

I didnt read the whole thread so i dunno if anyone mentioned this but,
    those people who cheated (they should be caught out imo) will get away with this. There is NO proof that they cheated anymore, and with the publicity this thread is getting I doubt theyd be stupid enough to continue it (though, maybe they are! :))

It happens all over the place anyway, nothing new here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I just wanted to pop in here folks and say that after all the stress with last year's LC paper mixup, we have got a solid working relationship with the Dept of Education and they know how to get in touch with us if they need to.

Dav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

They would have to not let people leave there Desks during Exams and set up CCTV to record the Examinations so if anyone suggests they have seen cheating that its maybe recorded and checked afterwards

It would Probably look like this

E1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

When I sat my leaving cert many years ago, several people cheated by making numerous trips to the loo where they had hidden a text book behind the cistern/sanitary bin ... None of them did well and ended up not gaining a college place. Who knows where they are now.. working in banks probably ;-) It isn't limited to to the state exams either- in my final degree exams, one girl went in, read the paper and then had a 'panic attack' and asked could she leave. They allowed her to re-sit..Why did she have a panic attack?! Because she hadn't studied and the cog notes she had stuffed behind the cistern probably wouldn't have helped her. She ended up barely scrapping a pass..

Cheaters never gain. To the OP- you studied for your exams and you will get what you deserve when the results come out. The cheaters will be caught out eventually.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

'Potentially serious' case of exam cheating under inquiry
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0615/1224272522104.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I feel sorry for the OP here, no doubt they the department of education will want to speak with her and find out what school she is attending, when in fact its the supervisor of the school they should be speaking with.

How stupid though are the supervisors sitting the exams themselves? I did the leaving twelve years ago and it was going on all around me. I read yesterday one supervisor was busy tweeting about himself and exam and got sacked, said it all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

The real dangers of accepting a culture of cheating in examinations is the danger of people such as Doctors{just as an example} ending up incompetant and literally kill people.The same is true of many professions i.e how would people like it if their pilot or Air traffic controller had cheated their way into the job.?

This kind of publicity also serves to undermine Irish exam results/degrees to the outside World and would not impress Multinationals thinking of setting up shop here,or help Graduates seeking Work abroad.

It of course is always going to be a bit humourous to many Irish people because of our nature.

In the end though it is just Ireland inc. shooting itself in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

There are too many people who shouldn't be in college that are in college as it is. Seeing as the Leaving Cert is primarily a college admission exam, anyone found cheating should be blacklisted from college entry. I don't want my taxes funding some asshole who cheated his way into free third level education.

I would also add, the school involved should be punished too. That would ensure they make it their business to stamp out cheating. We have far too slack an attitude in Ireland when it comes to second chances and poor standards in education. If we want to compete internationally, we need to sharpen up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Don't be a snitch. Concentrate on your own performance in the exams.
    Almost Famous? Almost there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I hate cheating, I hope they all get the full whack from the state examinations commission. Fair play op.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No need for that kind of talk. Keep it civil, please.

Sorry, wont happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Well done. It's nice to see someone bothering to take action. Like anything there are vulnerabilities and no one bothers until something happens. So well done for bringing it to the attention of the SEC and national media, whether you wanted to or not. It's good to be brave enough to do that, and not just dismiss it like most people would. It's easy to dismiss it like anything in life, but bothering to do things will stand to you with anything like that. You deserve to be supported with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

The LC is a terrible way of determining college places with most of what you do throughout 5th and 6th year irrelevant as long as you learn off loads and loads of material in the month leading up to the exam.

I don't mind saying it but I have cheated in three of my exams already. Mainly keywords of quotes to trigger the rest of the quote and stuff like that. Don't see what the big deal is because everyone is out for themselves in the exams and what the person each side of you does isn't going to affect your overall results. If you're not going to be selfish and ruthless during the LC when are you going to be?? Moaning about people who are doing what they have to to succeed won't get you anywhere......Like the old saying goes 'nice guys finish last'! I'm certainly not going to apologise to anybody for taking what is, IMO, a calculated risk.

I hope the SEC track you down and withhold your Leaving Cert results. How somebody has the audacity to cheat, and then come on to a national forum and brag about it, is beyond me.

As for the text in bold-what a laughable comment! Seriously, for the rest of your exams you might want to contemplate actually being honest and fair to other students who aren't cheating and want to get a college place.

If the SEC get your IP address and find you(which there is a strong possibility they will-they've done it before), well that would just make my day!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

this thread makes the news this morning :)

Mayoegian wrote: »

If the SEC get your IP address and find you(which there is a strong possibility they will-they've done it before), well that would just make my day!:)

Join the club mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Adro947 wrote: »
    It's good to be brave

Yes, because complaining anonymously on the internet, is brave :Rolleyes:

Mayoegian wrote: »
    I hope the SEC track you down and withhold your Leaving Cert results. How somebody has the audacity to cheat, and then come on to a national forum and brag about it, is beyond me.

As for the text in bold-what a laughable comment! Seriously, for the rest of your exams you might want to contemplate actually being honest and fair to other students who aren't cheating and want to get a college place.

Could you tell me who would supply The SEC the IP address of this user ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gilligan.Mark

1922 wrote: »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0615/1224272522104.html?via=mr

Fair play to Samskeyti, cheating has gotten outta hand in the leaving cert. I've heard so many stories this years, and it's just gotten unbelievable to say the least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

1922 wrote: »

117027.bmp

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gilligan.Mark

WIZE wrote: »
    [/B]

Could you tell me who would supply The SEC the IP address of this user ?
    Dav wrote: »
    I just wanted to pop in here folks and say that after all the stress with last year's LC paper mixup, we have got a solid working relationship with the Dept of Education and they know how to get in touch with us if they need to.

Dav

BOOM!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

draffodx wrote: »
    117027.bmp
    Was on the Ray D'Arcy show too.

I would think that Boards.ie would not be allowed to supply the SEC of users IP address .

Could admins or Mods Clarify this

I would think that Boards.ie would not be allowed to supply the SEC of users IP address .

Surely they could if what the user is posting is againts the Law?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Why would you think that?

IP addresses are collected by many websites, and are certainly not private information. In fact, it's very difficult to make any sort of connection over the internet without at some point transmitting your IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

There's a difference between "not being allowed to" and "wouldn't".

We are allowed to.

We wouldn't, unless it was serious enough to warrant a court order or a Section 8 request under the Data Protection Act, signed by a Chief Superintendent.

We take your privacy very seriously and in this case there'd be no reason that I can see that we'd be asked to supply it.

We are, as Dav said earlier, working closely with the Examination Commission, but, in fairness, I think this is a slow news day with all the Fine Gael stuff happening, so it's not something I'm concerned about. It's the same old conversation that's been happening for years...

Editing Post

Answered by Darragh already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Is that a hint of panic I hear? :D Sucks to be you so!

Late to the thread but I'd have been an advocate of reporting the cheaters. Well played OP. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

This has made the news!! just on FM104

Boards.ie was mentioned!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement