Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Skinfull wrote: »
    Is that a hint of panic I hear? :D Sucks to be you so!

Late to the thread but I'd have been an advocate of reporting the cheaters. Well played OP. :cool:

Ive been working for the Past 13 years since my LC

I can understand how It might look like that though .

You might get a mass editing for posts lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Just heard on 96fm (Cork radio station) about cheating in the L.C. And this thread was mentioned.

Now there's going to be a crackdown on cheating.

Really shows the power of media, and the power of boards.ie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Larkin91 wrote: »

We rule the media?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Larkin91 wrote: »
    Just heard on 96fm (Cork radio station) about cheating in the L.C. And this thread was mentioned.

Now there's going to be a crackdown on cheating.

ya its all over the place. Even on rte
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0615/exams.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yes, because complaining anonymously on the internet, is brave :Rolleyes:

You are not anonymous on the internet. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Margarella

Think you seem to be in a bit of a predictament here.....You dont want to report the cheater but remember when the exam results come out and the cheater does well and you or somebody else who worked honestly doesnt do so well......it will be too late then to claim cheating.!!!!!!!!!
    Begs the question though.........What outside pressure makes people take such a risk????:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Appleglue

Ha I had a feeling this thread would make the news.
    also, today in exam hall, the superintendent mentioned the risks of cheating.
    Funny how a post on the internet can have an influence all around us however small

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Well let's hope since they are monitoring boards and Social network sites that the Dept also investigate themselves and their examination methods!

An excellant point was made by an earliar poster that years of hard study by non cheaters can come to nothing if they have a single bad day.

It is not at all a good system and needs radical overhaul!
    Far more use of continuas assesment should be made as well as other innovations.

So Dept of Education first of all heal thyself!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I noticed all the people who said they cheat have gone fairly quiet. Heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I noticed all the people who said they cheat have gone fairly quiet. Heh.

There sitting an exam at the moment . Sweating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You are not anonymous on the internet. ;)

You can be if you want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

I don't see cheating as creativity, I'm purely doing it to get ahead and get mine because I'm looking out for numero uno....And what anybody thinks about my cheating doesn't bother me in the slightest and I would suggest you shouldn't let other people's business bother you either.

pity you werent around a couple of years ago, a job in the financial regulator would have been right up your street.

WIZE wrote: »
    There sitting an exam at the moment . Sweating

Lets hope those beads of sweat are being checked for hidden notes!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Cheating has always happened during the leaving cert...when i did my leaving cert the cheating was rampant.I wouldn't blame the students if they can better their results fair play to them but what the f*^k are the supervisors payed to do.Our one read the paper and didn't walk around and was just generally inept!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

In fairness, the only notes people usually bring with them, are hard to remember stuff, like stupid poems you had to learn, or laws etc

Leaving cert is bull****, people will do what it takes to get the most points possible, so they can study something they actually give a siht about in college. Where they then apply themselves and work hard. Where its important.

I guarantee you, there's a hell of a lot of good hard working, skilled people out there at the moment, who cheated in their leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

ynotdu wrote: »
    An excellant point was made by an earliar poster that years of hard study by non cheaters can come to nothing if they have a single bad day.

:rolleyes: haha, that might have been me... it's something I keep saying every day about the system...! I hope that if the SEC are reading all these, they'll finally get sick of me saying it and do something about it! :rolleyes: A relative of mine is doing her GCSE's, ended up in A&E one day and missed her Biology exam. Thankfully she can retake it.
    But if she lived over here, and that was her leaving cert... oh dear! :eek:
    ynotdu wrote: »
    So Dept of Education first of all heal thyself!

Agrees 100%!! Couldn't say it better! :D
    Just a pity any changes will be made too late for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Fair play to the OP for reporting this. For those of you who advocate cheating or even worse, advocate not reporting it, the lack of moral courage, lack of standing up to people who abuse and cheat the system is what has this country f*cked.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Ha when the cheaters get out of their exam and log back on they're gonna get pretty nervous when they see the reaction from media and SEC.

However, an internet "confession" would not warrant cancellation of papers as the cheaters may only be trying to rile us or create a debate. The only way action could be taken is if they are caught in the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I'm sure these people cheating were the first to moan about Henry and how he cheated us out of the World Cup too. ;)

Hate cheaters to do with anything, I admire a people who struggle with something and does their best with it, that's all they can do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0615/1224272522104.html?via=mr

'Potentially serious' case of exam cheating under inquiry
    Related

SEÁN FLYNN and GRÁINNE FALLER

THE STATE Examinations Commission is investigating, “potentially serious” allegations of Leaving Cert cheating, it confirmed last night.

The commission was contacted by a student who originally posted concerns about exam cheating on the online discussion forum boards.ie last Saturday.

Last night, the commission confirmed it was monitoring discussion forums and social networking sites this year. But this is the first cheating inquiry triggered by posts on a social networking site.

The commission said it was “aware of the discussion” about cheating and had already begun an investigation – before being contacted by the student.

The student claimed to have seen students hiding English poetry texts in the school toilets, while others hid notes in socks and jeans. Another student allegedly read texts on her mobile phone – detailing exam answers – while taking the exam.

The student has also told the commission that exam students were in mobile phone contact with fellow Leaving Cert students at pre-arranged times during exam breaks.

She posted: “I know for definite that Irish will be the exam that most will cheat on because of learning notes off by heart will prove too much effort for them,” and went on to wonder: “Should I inform the superintendents of how stupid they’re being or e-mail the State Examinations Commission?”

The “thread” – running to 15 pages – was one of the most popular on boards.ie yesterday, with some posters encouraging the student to contact the authorities and others accusing the student of being a “snitch’’.

One contributor made allegations about cheating in another school: “Someone I know is cheating. He went to the bathroom four times in one exam, and goes quite often in the rest . . . He carries notes in the hood of his hoodie. I know this for a fact.”

In last year’s Leaving Cert, the commission withheld 83 grades from students in subjects including Irish, English, maths, history and geography.

The Minister for Education can impose a range of sanctions on exam cheats including debarring the candidate from entering any exam run by the department “for such period as the Minister may determine”.

A decade ago, an Irish film How To Cheat In The Leaving Certificate – detailing the antics of six students – gained a strong cult following. A few weeks before it went on general release the then junior minister for education Willie O’Dea condemned it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irondragons

old

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

I've worked as a supervisor in the past. If i had two or three students asking to use the toilet during the exam it was a lot. Afterall, students were losing valuable exam time. Phones were nowhere to be seen and I personally watched students like a hawk. I think it is bit naieve to believe that a few notes in you pocket are somehow going to drag you from a D to an A or B. I also make a point of asking the student help to check the toilets for books, notes etc. In many case the notes might not even be relevant. As for ringing students in other schools for answers, that's a bit of a stretch to say the least. How does that work, they both visit the toilet at the same time? Most students will be more worried about their own performance than helping others. Simply put, if you haven't done the work, cheating will be of no use to you. You will simply be wasting exam time. Anyone who does behave suspiciously in the exam hall usually drew a few long stares from myself. It usually does the trick. Technology might have moved on, but supervisors are not idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ellemahs

Well done on highlighting this problem. The colleges take cheating very seriously and, as director of post-grad education in an Irish university, I have had students kicked out of college for plagiarism (academic cheating/stealing/fraud). If people can say that it's okay to cheat in one area of their lives, I wonder what the rest of their life is like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

I didn't wana bring up the Henry incident but I was thinking that too... Same thing, France gained, we lost. Cheater gains, some innocent person loses.

Its also this 'cheating is ok, look after number 1' mentality that has the country crippled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

Focus on your own exams, not everyone else's. If these people feel the need to cheat at second level where a lot of emphasis is placed on spoon feeding and learning verbatim, then what hope do they have at third level or in the workplace where they actually have to think for themselves. They will sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

the OP better hope nobody in her school finds out she was the one that reported them, they'll be out for blood, lol :p
    I would never cheat in my LC, but of course there are some that WOULD cheat if they'd get away with it, of course they would!
    Now, no disrespect to OP, but maybe the OP is a brainbox at school, and is jealous of the less brighter pupils cheating?? Just a suggestion, dont want anyone to get mad! :eek: Just saying....
    Anyway, the OP has certainly landed herself in the lime-light by doing this, and in fairness like, why would you ask advice on Ireland's most popular website??? Only to put yourself in the limelight, maybe the OP didn't know the Government would see it or something, but why wouldn't the OP just contact the government or post the question on Yahoo UK & Ireland Answers.
    Now, please don't jump in and say I think Cheating is ok, it's not, point blank, yes i agree, some people would get unfair marks and stuff, but still...
    this allegation just puts more pressure on the LC's sitting the exam. Although most probably aren't cheating, they would be stressing over this allegation, would be nervous if the examiner was looking at them suspiciously, would worry if the examiner thought they were cheating if they went to the bathroom and could not perform to their best while sitting the exams - maybe that makes no sense, lol.
    Anyways, I'm just speaking my mind, i don't want any backlash, alright. Boards.ie should be a place where everyone should see what they think, and I'm saying what i think, so there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭liamtech

I would take this opportunity to voice my full support for Samskeyti. Intolerable situations such as this can no longer be ignored in Ireland - Saying cheating is "wrong but if it doesn't effect you, don't worry" is farcical: And it is this that has led to so much corruption & Dishonesty in Ireland. These instances are symptoms of the same disease that has struck the Dail, and the civil service so much. People who turn a blind eye are contributing to the decay of our society.

Its only Honorable Individuals like Samskeyti who give us hope for the future. Honesty and integrity are not simply words - they are a way of life that has been eroded of late - Ethics in Ireland has faded so much that we are content to turn a blind eye to cheats and liars and criminals.. some of whom attain high offices in the government.

Individuals who cheat in state exams are cut from the same stone as Charles Haughy, Padraig Flynn & all the other criminals never brought to justice:

A change is required, and all those who stand up for honesty and integrity are to be commended and congratulated.

I wish you all the best Samskeyti, in the leaving Cert and beyond - If your integrity is anything to go on, you will excel..

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

Hello State Examinations Commission,
    we all know you are reading these so heres a question. What does the Leaving Cert mean? This is to those of you sitting it too. Does it show how good you are at Biology or Art? What good is that to you if you get a job in a bank? The whole thing is showing your ability to learn and take in information. If you are cheating you are cheating yourself, your future employers and cheating others out of college places and jobs. Your morals and ethics leave a lot to be desired. I realise the pressure and the sense of pointlessness to some of the exams Im sitting them myself but if this is the level our youth will stoop to then we as a society have failed and it is a damning indication as to the state of of country as a whole.

Yours truly,
    An honest student.

:rolleyes: haha, that might have been me... it's something I keep saying every day about the system...! I hope that if the SEC are reading all these, they'll finally get sick of me saying it and do something about it! :rolleyes: A relative of mine is doing her GCSE's, ended up in A&E one day and missed her Biology exam. Thankfully she can retake it.
    But if she lived over here, and that was her leaving cert... oh dear!

Well glad You agree:),and i have also earlier pointed out the dangers of a culture of cheating.
    These people from the SEC are supposed to be much older and wiser than those who are Studying,So how do i have a vision in My head of them as people covered with Cobwebs who have not come up with an innovation in the running of exams ever!

I even heard of a case{since You mentioned the UK} were a girl was kicked out of her boarding School,She posted pictures on Bebo of Alcohol at a party She held in her room.The School head somehow logged onto her page and kicked her out!

This internet 'Snooping' is just a lazy way for the powers that be to do a bit of cheating themselves IMO,rather than be bothered to do their job diligintly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

If you rat someone out, your effecitvely ruining their life and it's not fair. if there caught fine but it's nothing to do with u so leave them alone.just keep ur head down and just do ur own tests and stop being such a f**kin goodie two shoes. oh miss, oh miss, she's cheating....clearly not everyone is as prepared as you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement