Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

So if your cousin/girlfriend/bestfriend/brother/sister whichever! was applying to the same course as you and they didn't cheat, and you did. You got into the course they didn't because it was ''full''.

So you wouldn't care that you cheating got you a spot in that college ahead of <insert list here>?

My "cousin/girlfriend/bestfriend/brother/sister whichever!" isn't doing the exam this year. As another user said forget about all that malarky. I'm happy and there is nothing the SEC will be able to do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Our supervisor explained the cheating situation today and laughed it off and the cheaters laughed along with her!

As RLH asked earlier (and sorry to repeat you here Randy!) but just say you're aiming for 250 for our course. Low enough points but you have worked your ass off just to get them, and when you finally do get your results you have just hit the 250 mark.
    You're delighted until offers roll around and you discover you DIDNT get accepted to your course but the chap who sat beside you and cheated his way in through every exam and got your course, which essentially is your place they took, what would you think? How could you look at the person the same knowing that they, as sad as this probably sounds, stole your future???

I just do not understand people who condone it, or stand up for cheaters "they're under pressure" Im aiming to do medicine and I'm under such pressure its unbelievable but there is no way, NO WAY, I would even consider cheating. The end would not justify the means for me whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Fete wrote: »
    How would you feel if you were one of those few people?

haha, or maybe they're just one of the cheaters with no morals. ;)
    We can say "how would you feel" as often as we want, but for someone who doesn't immediately see why it's wrong, I don't think that trying to make them feel bad will work either unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

ddef wrote: »
    Wow you've really cause a pandemonium with this thread OP. And for no reason at all. you are not benefitting what so ever from this. stealing other peoples places? they still are competing with 59,000 other students, so you do the math.
    I hope you get found out by your classmates. stop being bitter and get on with your own leaving cert.

He's not exactly benefiting by allowing other people to cheat either is he?

What have the amount sitting the LC got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I'm currently supervising the LC. Outside it and i take people to the bathroom, thankfully no one has asked us to cheat for them or anything like that. No notes hidden or asking to be hidden.

I suppose it makes me feel good about the integrity of my school and the students that are in it. I agree with the op 100% and well on you.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    They are ruining their own lives by cheating,

Your example is like saying Gardai shouldn't go after people who drink drive as this could loose them their license and they could loose their job....you'd ruin their life
    :rolleyes:

Bottom line = cheaters are scum, always have and always will be.

:)

Nobody died as Roy Keane said. Drink driving is a lot more serious than cheating in the leaving cert. Don't they say "it's only an exam, there's life after it". There is no life after you have been pelted by a vehicle driven by a drunkard.

P.S. some cheaters are actually nice people!

Mick Daly wrote: »
    I'm happy and there is nothing the SEC will be able to do about it.

Another person confident they won't get caugh. Are you brave enough to post the name of your school? Tommytomtom wasn't.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was asked to provide examples of people who cheated and did really well out of it so I threw out a load of examples off the top of my head..

Good list
    Hitler, Mussolini, Haughey, Henry, Maradona, Al Capone, Pablo Escobar, Cascarino, The Monk, John Gilligan, Paul Pot, Bill Belichick...........Shall I go on?

hmm lets see
    Hitler = Killed himself
    Mussolini = Executed
    Haughey = Dragged through the courts
    Henry = Lost massive sponsorship from Gillete worth millions
    Maradona = Controversial footballer
    Al Capone = Spend 10 years in Alcatraz, died from a cardiac arrest in prison
    The Monk = Lost a feck load of money to CAB, is seen as scum of the earth
    John Gilligan = Currently in prison, lost a feck load of money to CAB
    Paul Pot = Apparently did something wrong during Britains Got Talent :rolleyes:
    Bill Belichick = From what I can see fined a **** load of money,

Please don't go on, all your examples are ****e and only show that things will end badly for you if you cheat. With anyluck anyone who cheats in the LC will end up in jail...one can hope I guess :)

Let's be realistic about it here folks---there's zero chance of me getting caught with anything regardless of what I say here because there's still no proof.

Im pretty sure your admission is proof enough?

What makes you think there's zero chance of getting caught? If your so confident then post the name of your school.

Also...

... so something can and will be done about it.

If I posted my school here what could happen? The exam is over. They have no proof that I looked at a few notes that were stuffed in my trousers. The SEC are a crowd of eejits to think this is going to go anywhere. It's all hype.

They know my name and school and that's that. I can say I didn't cheat. They can say you said it on boards. I can say I was lying. The end

• Advertisement

Maradona = FAT Controversial footballer

Fixed that for you. See what happens when you cheat. You get FAT!!!

They're lying cheating dishonest people...not nice to me?!
    I would be so ashamed if I were you.

If I posted my school here what could happen? The exam is over. They have no proof that I looked at a few notes that were stuffed in my trousers. The SEC are a crowd of eejits to think this is going to go anywhere. It's all hype.

They know my name and school and that's that. I can say I didn't cheat. They can say you said it on boards. I can say I was lying. The end

So why haven't you posted it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drg85

Wow you've really cause a pandemonium with this thread OP. And for no reason at all. you are not benefitting what so ever from this. stealing other peoples places? they still are competing with 59,000 other students, so you do the math.
    I hope you get found out by your classmates. stop being bitter and get on with your own leaving cert.

Because this is my first post I'll refrain from posting my true opinion of the quoted user, only to say that it involves colourful language. In fact, it's hard to express just how low I think individuals expressing such sentiments are.

I read about this in the times today and I for you fully admire the courage of the original poster and deplore the amount of "snitch" attacks on them for essentially whistleblowing a deeply unfair practice. There's a few reasons for this.

(1) The leaving certificate is, for better or worse, a compeditive exam. You will be in competition for places as an artifact of the somewhat daft points system - this means anyone cheating IS inflating their grade at the expense of someone else. You may argue it might only pump them up a little bit, but given the (forced?) bell distribution of results, this means it does so at the expense of another more honest student. The LC is the benchmark for CAO admissions, so of course cheating should be utterly stamped out.

(2) Someone else cheating not only undermines the hard work that a non-cheating student puts in, but also adds significantly to the emotional distress and unhappiness at an already stressful time. Not only are cheaters screwing others out of places, they're screwing them out of piece of mind. Hardly fair is it ?

(3) The word 'snitch' itself is horrid. Is someone who reports a crime a snitch? Anyone who has the strength of character to do the right thing should be applauded, not villified. I simply cannot fathom the disgustingly cowardly and selfish nature of so many of the posters on this thread.

Well done original poster, best of luck in your exams - the fact you had the guts to bring this to people's attention will stand to you and will benefit anyone else who may have been screwed out of a hard earned place. For those of you lashing out disapproval, I suggest maybe having more of a moral and social backbone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

The OP did the right thing by reporting the cheating students. Kids are in school to learn skills that will help them become sensible, responsible adults. I don't believe cheating is one of those skills.

You are blatently admitting to it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

This made me think.
    All these people that cheat - they are supposed to be friends. Right?

Would you steal money from your best friend?
    Friends don't steal a future from each other...

I can honestly say that after seeing the reaction of some people on this thread, I will not be as quick to help anyone out in the future. They'll be friends to your face, seem lovely people, and then later they'll stab you in the back, copying notes onto a cheat-sheet and running off with your future laughing to themselves thinking that they are brilliant.

Great friends and lovely people aren't they?

I can thankfully say I've not noticed anyone cheating during my exams, but I've not really been looking either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tommytomtom

If they are the examples you can think off the top of your head no wonder you are cheating.
    You will get caught, and when the SEC see the unremorseful posts you have put on this thread I'm in no doubt that you will be banned from state examinations for a very long time. That doesn't just include the Leaving Cert, FYI, you won't be able do a driving test and get a licence and with something as serious as that on your record you will never get a job. Nobody likes a cheater.
    Hope its worth it.

Now that's just made up.....if convicted drug dealers, rapists, etc. can get a driver's license I have a weird suspicion I'll still be able to get one.....Thanks for the concern though, and do you really think if the SEC bothered to look into it that showing remorse in posts on a forum would make any difference??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

hmm lets see
    Hitler = Killed himself
    Mussolini = Executed

You folks forgot:

Bill Gates = Stole the concept for Windows from Apple.... Is now the worlds richest man...

Well I don't know what to tell you, mate. I've no idea how you sleep at night.

Good luck in college.

I cheated. Why would I care about some person down the country who didn't get their place. Maybe I don't know anyone going for my course either. It's like those ads on TV for the poor African kids. You become immune to it. I've become immune to feeling guilty about cheating. I don't care about some unknown person who lives 100 miles down the road. You don't either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0615/1224272522104.html

Its all happening again... amazing how easily you'll get noticed on here..

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

Apple should've sued Bill

I don't agree with the idea of cheating in the leaving cert. I know its probably wrecking the heads of some ppl who actually did put effort in and study and then you have these wasters who cheat....if they don't get caught now...it will catch up with them in later life

It's a pity your school isnt more aware of what's going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Most people here are upset over 'cheaters' cheating is using a skill of concealing the information someqhere to your advantage , should we ban all advantages in the leaving cert , for instance should somebody who was brought up by mathamaticians as parents be banned from leaving cert maths becauase they have an advantage not open to everybody ? No , using concealed notes in the leaving cert is just a skill that a lucky few managed to get away with , just because you think thats wrong doesnt give you the right to stop them , they have their advantage , you find yours

Good list

hmm lets see
    Hitler = Killed himself
    Mussolini = Executed

Please don't go on, all your examples are ****e and only show that things will end badly for you if you cheat. With anyluck anyone who cheats in the LC will end up in jail...one can hope I guess :)

Also there is Maradonna and Thierry Henry. Good footballers otherwise except for Maradonna and his personal problems. Ronaldo might be a diver but he'sa fine footballer.

I cheated. Why would I care about some person down the country who didn't get their place. Maybe I don't know anyone going for my course either. It's like those ads on TV for the poor African kids. You become immune to it. I've become immune to feeling guilty about cheating. I don't care about some unknown person who lives 100 miles down the road. You don't either.

I'd thank you for not projecting your selfish amoral standards on everyone else here. <snip>Personal abuse is not acceptable here</snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Screwedforlc

Most people here are upset over 'cheaters' cheating is using a skill of concealing the information someqhere to your advantage , should we ban all advantages in the leaving cert , for instance should somebody who was brought up by mathamaticians as parents be banned from leaving cert maths becauase they have an advantage not open to everybody ? No , using concealed notes in the leaving cert is just a skill that a lucky few managed to get away with , just because you think thats wrong doesnt give you the right to stop them , they have their advantage , you find yours

That is brillant

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

First of all security cameras ??? Dude you need to go to a better school , secondly shes the type thatsmost likely to cheat , c ab d students rarely cheat because theres not much home pressure on them to do immensly well , A students are most likely to cheat to preserve their A's in the final exam as mammy and daddy would be mprtified and embarrassed should they get c's

You should be so ashamed of yourself, your parents should also be ashamed and your friends should be ashmed. Not only did you cheat but you are so unremorseful and full of yourself...Im just so disgusted that Im logging off before I say something that will get me in trouble.

Fallicious and flaw argument; the LC is designed as an indicator of ability; if your parents were mathematicians AND you could do math, then regardless of how you learned, it indicates you have mathematical ability.

Using concealed notes isn't a skill; it is against the very ethos of what you're supposed to do. And it may work for an artificial situation like the LC sadly; but for the vast majority of times, you will be caught out in the real world.

• Advertisement

So why haven't you posted it yet?

It's not about posting my school. I cheated and I am not ashamed or feeling sorry for some person who lives in some other part of this country. I'm happy and that's all that matters right now and when I get tht place I will be delighted.

Obviously I am not going to post the name of my school. Why the hell would I do that? I'm confident but that doesn't mean I hand myself in. It took Maradona 21 years to admit he handed the ball. I might tell everyone then!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement