Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

Fair play for OP reporting it to the SEC, saw the article in today's Irish Times... that's not an easy thing to do, but cheaters need to be brought to justice and super intendents who aren't doing their job properly need to be reprimanded. I'm sure the pro-cheaters on this thread are fine with cheating because they've never been caught... but I'm sure one of the 83 people caught last year whose results were witheld and who have been barred from sitting a state exam for another seven years don't feel the same way. Those who cheat deserve to pay the consequences of their actions. By the time we get to 6th we all know better. Cheating is WRONG and cannot be justified. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

aine92 wrote: »
    You are blatently admitting to it?!

Sure I'm lying...or am I. :confused:

No proof at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Do they allow trolls to do the leaving? Cause I've a feeling we've a few posting in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tommytomtom

Cabaal wrote: »
    Good list
    :rolleyes:

hmm lets see
    Hitler = Killed himself OR rose from a homeless man to become ruler of Germany and be a cold winter away from world domination
    Mussolini = Executed OR rose from humble beginnings to become the ruler of Italy
    Haughey = Dragged through the courts OR Taoiseach and made a loada money on the sly and by the time he was caught he'd already spent most of it and was so old it didn't matter then
    Henry = Lost massive sponsorship from Gillete worth millions OR made it to the WC and Gillette didn't even drop him from their brand so don't know what you're talking about
    Maradona = Controversial footballer OR won the WC in 1986 but would have knocked out by England without the hand of God and current national coach of the most talented squad at this year's WC
    Al Capone = Spend 10 years in Alcatraz, died from a cardiac arrest in prison OR lived like a movie star for years rolling around in dosh
    The Monk = Lost a feck load of money to CAB, is seen as scum of the earth OR made a fortune and is making a fortune again now with his stretch hummer
    John Gilligan = Currently in prison, lost a feck load of money to CAB OR spent 20 never working while owning a stud and living in mansion
    Paul Pot = Apparently did something wrong during Britains Got Talent :rolleyes: OR rose 2 power and took years for him to be caught
    Bill Belichick = From what I can see fined a **** load of money OR won multiple Superbowls with the NE Patriots

Please don't go on, all your examples are ****e and only show that things will end badly for you if you cheat. With anyluck anyone who cheats in the LC will end up in jail...one can hope I guess :)

Yes I concur, jail for anyone who has ever cheated in an exam......Great shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

First of all security cameras ??? Dude you need to go to a better school

Go to a better school? She's doing her leaving cert. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

drg85 wrote: »
    Fallicious and flaw argument; the LC is designed as an indicator of ability; if your parents were mathematicians AND you could do math, then regardless of how you learned, it indicates you have mathematical ability.

Using concealed notes isn't a skill; it is against the very ethos of what you're supposed to do. And it may work for an artificial situation like the LC sadly; but for the vast majority of times, you will be caught out in the real world.

Maybee if the leaving cert was a little more like the real world cheating wouldnt be necessary , if you allowed programmable calculators or gave all formulas im fairly sure cheating in maths and physics would fall in half , both those things are available to somebody using those skills in the real world regardless of ability and formulas shpuldbt need to be memorised verbatim , i failed leaving cert maths , not for a lack of ability , im just really ****e at remembering formulas , put them infront of me and i know exactley what to do , so i dont begrudge anyone cheating in something like maths where the only information they could possibly be concealing is information they would always have out in the real world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Screwedforlc

Why do you care so much if someone cheats ? i myself don't cheat at all but couldn't care less if others do..........'fooling your self'

This thread fills me with despair for the future. Ye are all retards.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

Most people here are upset over 'cheaters' cheating is using a skill of concealing the information someqhere to your advantage , should we ban all advantages in the leaving cert , for instance should somebody who was brought up by mathamaticians as parents be banned from leaving cert maths becauase they have an advantage not open to everybody ? No , using concealed notes in the leaving cert is just a skill that a lucky few managed to get away with , just because you think thats wrong doesnt give you the right to stop them , they have their advantage , you find yours

thats the worst excuse i've ever heard...

bring that "skill" with you to an interview board... "eh, well... Im really good at cheating".... they'll hire you in a second :rolleyes:

aine92 wrote: »
    You should be so ashamed of yourself, your parents should also be ashamed and your friends should be ashmed. Not only did you cheat but you are so unremorseful and full of yourself...Im just so disgusted that Im logging off before I say something that will get me in trouble.

What you talking about? You called me a "callous scumbag". Liar. I must have a hissy fit now. OMG you lied. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Good list

hmm lets see
    Hitler = Killed himself
    Mussolini = Executed
    Haughey = Dragged through the courts
    Henry = Lost massive sponsorship from Gillete worth millions
    Maradona = Controversial footballer
    Al Capone = Spend 10 years in Alcatraz, died from a cardiac arrest in prison
    The Monk = Lost a feck load of money to CAB, is seen as scum of the earth
    John Gilligan = Currently in prison, lost a feck load of money to CAB
    Paul Pot = Apparently did something wrong during Britains Got Talent :rolleyes:
    Bill Belichick = From what I can see fined a **** load of money,

Please don't go on, all your examples are ****e and only show that things will end badly for you if you cheat. With anyluck anyone who cheats in the LC will end up in jail...one can hope I guess :)
    Why... tomorrow he could wake up...dead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I have just reviewed this thread and handed out a raft of infractions for personal abuse ... Tom and KnifeW. have been busy also.

Get it into your heads, people ... just because you feel strongly on either side does not give you the right to abuse others. It won't be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Mick Daly wrote: »
    I cheated. Why would I care about some person down the country who didn't get their place.

Good for you, your parents must be SO proud of you.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drg85

Maybee if the leaving cert was a little more like the real world cheating wouldnt be necessary , if you allowed programmable calculators or gave all formulas im fairly sure cheating in maths and physics would fall in half , both those things are available to somebody using those skills in the real world regardless of ability and formulas shpuldbt need to be memorised verbatim , i failed leaving cert maths , not for a lack of ability , im just really ****e at remembering formulas , put them infront of me and i know exactley what to do , so i dont begrudge anyone cheating in something like maths where the only information they could possibly be concealing is information they would always have out in the real world

Let me get this straight.. you're implying you failed math because you couldn't remember formula ? I'm sorry, but I don't buy that argument for a second. I teach math as part of my duties at a university in Dublin. I also spent a considerable amount of time giving grind for both ordinary and higher level maths at LC level, and the truth is that 'forgetting' formula would not be enough to make anyone come even close to failing an exam. Method is rewarded a both levels, even with a flawed formula, and in fact, glancing through last years papers here I can see that most of what you need would be easily available in the log tables which you are given.

For the record, we have open book exams in universities and they are among the toughest ones you can take. The LC maths exam is about method and understanding, more so than many of the admittedly parrot like LC exams. Your story, with all due respect, doesn't pass muster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Yes I concur, jail for anyone who has ever cheated in an exam......Great shout

The fact you used " and had spent all of it anyway " and making money on the sly as a positive, tells us all here that will your dirty points you will get in August you still won't be a decent person.

Here's the end point, in life i know this and im only 17. Being a decent person will get you further than you being a cheat in your leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

What you talking about? You called me a "callous scumbag". Liar. I must have a hissy fit now. OMG you lied. :eek:
    ???

Try looking at who is posting what.

Hitler = Killed himself OR rose from a homeless man to become ruler of Germany and be a cold winter away from world domination

Mussolini = Executed OR rose from humble beginnings to become the ruler of Italy

Haughey = Dragged through the courts OR Taoiseach and made a loada money on the sly and by the time he was caught he'd already spent most of it and was so old it didn't matter then

Henry = Lost massive sponsorship from Gillete worth millions OR made it to the WC and Gillette didn't even drop him from their brand so don't know what you're talking about

Maradona = Controversial footballer OR won the WC in 1986 but would have knocked out by England without the hand of God and current national coach of the most talented squad at this year's WC

Al Capone = Spend 10 years in Alcatraz, died from a cardiac arrest in prison OR lived like a movie star for years rolling around in dosh

The Monk = Lost a feck load of money to CAB, is seen as scum of the earth OR made a
    fortune and is making a fortune again now with his stretch hummer

John Gilligan = Currently in prison, lost a feck load of money to CAB OR spent 20 never working while owning a stud and living in mansion

Bill Belichick = From what I can see fined a **** load of money OR won multiple Superbowls with the NE Patriots

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drg85

Actually, I called you that. But only after you labelled yourself that way and tried to smear the rest of us with that tag.

It's not about posting my school. I cheated and I am not ashamed or feeling sorry for some person who lives in some other part of this country. I'm happy and that's all that matters right now and when I get tht place I will be delighted.

Obviously I am not going to post the name of my school. Why the hell would I do that? I'm confident but that doesn't mean I hand myself in. It took Maradona 21 years to admit he handed the ball. I might tell everyone then!
    Haha! Machiavelli is alive and well, eh? I'm not into social morality/responsibility or anything, but you're blatantly stealing someone's place. What if you stole a place from one of your classmates? Your best friend? Would it bother you? How they worked hard all year, and had to struggle to learn every dark corner of the horrendous syllabus. Suddenly, you take your finger out this week, POSSIBLY write out sample answers (though I doubt it), and just sneak them in. I mean, have you heard of equality?

Besides all that, did you not see the salman85 thing? People on here will HUNT you down

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Healium wrote: »
    Haha! Machiavelli is alive and well, eh? I'm not into social morality/responsibility or anything, but you're blatantly stealing someone's place. What if you stole a place from one of your classmates? Your best friend? Would it bother you?

Go back a few pages mate, already mentioned that, he doesn't care.

• Advertisement

SDTimeout wrote: »
    The fact you used " and had spent all of it anyway " and making money on the sly as a positive, tells us all here that will your dirty points you will get in August you still won't be a decent person.

Here's the end point, in life i know this and im only 17. Being a decent person will get you further than you being a cheat in your leaving cert.

I never said it was positive in the moral sense....I was merely pointing out that many cheats have prospered from cheating!!read previous posts before jumping into the conversation,so many posts are overlapping at this stage

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The Monk = Lost a feck load of money to CAB, is seen as scum of the earth OR made a
    fortune and is making a fortune again now with his stretch hummer

So they did well for a time but then their life ended very very badly in the majority of cases...oh ok so?

Many of the people you have mentioned go down in the history books as evil evil people who are scum and nobody likes them, in some cases there familys and extended familys dis-owned and/or had to change their names for their own safety.

Yeah it seems its all worth it, your examples are laughable

By the way you left out Paul Pots :D

Besides all that, did you not see the salman85 thing? People on here will HUNT you down

They'll never find me. Like I said, I don't fear it. As Cristiano Ronaldo once said, "I feel good I feel confident".

Haha! Machiavelli is alive and well, eh? I'm not into social morality/responsibility or anything, but you're blatantly stealing someone's place. What if you stole a place from one of your classmates? Your best friend? Would it bother you? How they worked hard all year, and had to struggle to learn every dark corner of the horrendous syllabus. Suddenly, you take your finger out this week, POSSIBLY write out sample answers (though I doubt it), and just sneak them in. I mean, have you heard of equality?

No, they won't....Mod already pointed out they see no reason to go handing out addresses in this case and like Mick already pointed out all i'd have to say is I was lying or someone else was on the computer.There'd be no proper proof

They'll never find me. Like I said, I don't fear it. As Cristiano Ronaldo once said, "I feel good I feel confident".

Somebody has a God complex...

No, they won't....Mod already pointed out they see no reason to go handing out addresses in this case and like Mick already pointed out all i'd have to say is I was lying or someone else was on the computer.There'd be no proper proof
    And if you tell Eircom that you didn't download music, they won't disconnect you :pac:

As Pat Shortt would say "Dat's roight". They have no proof so everyone should get off their high horses.

So they did well for a time but then their life ended very very badly in the majority of cases...oh ok so?

Many of the people you have mentioned go down in the history books as evil evil people who are scum and nobody likes them, in some cases there families dis-owned them for their own safety.

Yeah it seems its all worth it

By the way you left out Paul Pots :D

I'd rather the high life for 20 years or so than 50 years of toiling to no avail....Life is there to be lived, not to be merely endured

I'd rather the high life for 20 years or so than 50 years of toiling to no avail....Life is there to be lived, not to be merely endured

You don't have to be a cheat to be successful.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Sure I'm lying...or am I. :confused:

No proof at all.

Not necessarily. So if I go and admit to a crime in the local garda station.. write a written admission then just say "Ah no i'm only lying" they would let me leave?
    Regardless any arguments here are going nowhere. It's clear that the cheaters don't have the moral capacity to understand their actions. I don't think it's even that they know the true extent of their selfishness and greed and carry on anyways. Instead they simply don't have the capacity to understand this and are adopting this machiavellian and narcisstic approach simply as the easiest way to get what they want. It's sickening but there's nothing we can do apart from fel sorry for them. If they don't have the capacity to feel empathy and sympathy then they simply cannot feel happiness. Yeah they might say they're "happy" but truly they're just empty, they just haven't realised it yet..
    Woah..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement