Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

I don't know why so many people are slating the OP. This is a serious issue and they took it upon themselves to ask advice on what she should do about it. Their intentions are to help produce fair results for eveyone including those people in this thread who have called them a snitch.

Also, I'm surprised at how many people actually admit to cheating in this thread. It kinda proves the point that people only cheat to act hard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tommytomtom

Healium wrote: »
    And if you tell Eircom that you didn't download music, they won't disconnect you :pac:

The glaringly obvious difference being that there'd be the proof of the downloads where as no one saw me cheating so therefore there is no proof.....Do you understand the concept of tangible evidence??

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drg85

Aren't we going off-topic here?! The issue is LC cheating rather than 'cheating' in general in a generic way. Surely by mentioning Hitler we risk invoking Godwin's law anyway :P ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tommytomtom

Not necessarily. So if I go and admit to a crime in the local garda station.. write a written admission then just say "Ah no i'm only lying" they would let me leave?
    Regardless any arguments here are going nowhere. It's clear that the cheaters don't have the moral capacity to understand their actions. I don't think it's even that they know the true extent of their selfishness and greed and carry on anyways. Instead they simply don't have the capacity to understand this and are adopting this machiavellian and narcisstic approach simply as the easiest way to get what they want. It's sickening but there's nothing we can do apart from fel sorry for them. If they don't have the capacity to feel empathy and sympathy then they simply cannot feel happiness. Yeah they might say they're "happy" but truly they're just empty, they just haven't realised it yet..
    Woah..

Nope, it's definitely happiness :):):):):):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Blushingblue

zoom! wrote: »
    I don't know why so many people are slating the OP. This is a serious issue and they took it upon themselves to ask advice on what she should do about it. Their intentions are to help produce fair results for eveyone including those people in this thread who have called her a snitch.

Agree. There was cheating going on when I did the Leaving and I didn't say anything, no one in my class did. Everyone knew these 2 girls were cheating and no one said a word about it. I wish now that I had the courage the OP has as one of these girls got the high points course she wanted when someone else could of gotten that place fairly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Cyzrane

Happiness derived from the misery of other people, albeit indirectly. How can you possibly feel so proud of yourself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Fair enough i'm actually going to ask personally so. Does it not bother you, at all, even in the slightest, the sheer volume of people disagreeing with you? I understand standing your ground and everything but when there's hundreds of people absolutely berating you surely it has to bother you? I don't think you'd be writing back and attempting to justify yourself if it didn't.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Cyzrane wrote: »
    Happiness derived from the misery of other people, albeit indirectly. How can you possibly feel so proud of yourself?

at this stage he's just trolling,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

Cyzrane wrote: »

Because I don't care. It's only an old exam. Doesn'tmean I will go out and commit other "crimes".

I'm cheating in the LC and that's it. End of story. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

this made the irish times..

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0615/1224272522104.html?via=mr
    THE STATE Examinations Commission is investigating, “potentially serious” allegations of Leaving Cert cheating, it confirmed last night.

The commission was contacted by a student who originally posted concerns about exam cheating on the online discussion forum boards.ie last Saturday.

Last night, the commission confirmed it was monitoring discussion forums and social networking sites this year. But this is the first cheating inquiry triggered by posts on a social networking site.

The commission said it was “aware of the discussion” about cheating and had already begun an investigation – before being contacted by the student.

The student claimed to have seen students hiding English poetry texts in the school toilets, while others hid notes in socks and jeans. Another student allegedly read texts on her mobile phone – detailing exam answers – while taking the exam.

The student has also told the commission that exam students were in mobile phone contact with fellow Leaving Cert students at pre-arranged times during exam breaks.

She posted: “I know for definite that Irish will be the exam that most will cheat on because of learning notes off by heart will prove too much effort for them,” and went on to wonder: “Should I inform the superintendents of how stupid they’re being or e-mail the State Examinations Commission?”

The “thread” – running to 15 pages – was one of the most popular on boards.ie yesterday, with some posters encouraging the student to contact the authorities and others accusing the student of being a “snitch’’.

One contributor made allegations about cheating in another school: “Someone I know is cheating. He went to the bathroom four times in one exam, and goes quite often in the rest . . . He carries notes in the hood of his hoodie. I know this for a fact.”

In last year’s Leaving Cert, the commission withheld 83 grades from students in subjects including Irish, English, maths, history and geography.

The Minister for Education can impose a range of sanctions on exam cheats including debarring the candidate from entering any exam run by the department “for such period as the Minister may determine”.

A decade ago, an Irish film How To Cheat In The Leaving Certificate – detailing the antics of six students – gained a strong cult following. A few weeks before it went on general release the then junior minister for education Willie O’Dea condemned it.

no doubt posted already, but still..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 niamhygiggles

I heard about this thread on FM104 news and just HAD to read it for myself. I read first page, HAD to sign up and post a reply!!

First congrats to OP, you are famous LOL!

To anyone who thinks he should have kept his head down and said nothing, there is now going to be an investigation into this. Sure the cheaters who have cheated won't be caught. But I'm hoping it will stop future cheating. And I hope the invigilators in schools that are affected get the sack!! They are paid to do a job, so do it you lazy feckers!! What if so many other people had kept their mouths shut about injustices in the world. Sure, this guy is hardly Martin Luther King. But it is a small victory for the people who have worked hard for the past two years!

I reiterate what others have said. These cheaters are taking away college places from other deserving people. Of course you guys don't care right? You got your place in college, right? PMSL!! Well I am in third year of a four year course in business. Anyone will tell you, college is a major culture shock. It isn't about "here's notes learn them off". It's about independent thought. If you couldn't even be bothered learning off an essay for your leaving cert, you will not be able to handle the work load of college. Chances are you might scrape a pass in first year, and end up dropping out after failing second year. I've seen it happen.

So all you cheaters are just putting off the inevitable; you will either have to study and work hard to do well in life OR enjoy life in some horrible, low paid, dead end job.

Never be afraid to speak out against something wrong.

Cabaal wrote: »
    at this stage he's just trolling,

Trolling is a different issue. I know people disagree with me. I accept that I cheat and I can accept that other people have strong feelings about it. However I don't like all this crap about how I should be ashamed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sarahisconfused

Ah yer all eejits. CHEATING! SOMEONE INFORM THE CHURCH ELDERS! :O :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Mick Daly wrote: »
    Because I don't care. It's only an old exam. Doesn'tmean I will go out and commit other "crimes".

I'm cheating in the LC and that's it. End of story. :cool:
    Well... that's a very serious crime... I could be wrong, but I think you have to wait 5 years to do a state exam again. Do they take your driving licence as well? :confused:

Well I am in third year of a four year course in business. .................So all you cheaters are just putting off the inevitable; you will either have to study and work hard to do well in life OR enjoy life in some horrible, low paid, dead end job.

If you're doing business if you get a job it will be horrible and low paid, possibly not dead end, most jobs are horrible.

Well... that's a very serious crime... I could be wrong, but I think you have to wait 5 years to do a state exam again. Do they take your driving licence as well? :confused:

Yes. But what I'm trying to get through to you is that they have no evidence whatsoever that I am cheating. Right or wrong? True or false? Correct or incorrect? The positive of all three!

They can't turn back time and enter the cubicle where I pulled a few notes from my trousers. It's over. It happened and it will again and it shall continue for years to come. The SEC are a hoard of gullible journeymen if they think they can do anything about it. That's why I'm confident.

Yes. But what I'm trying to get through to you is that they have no evidence whatsoever that I am cheating. Right or wrong? True or false? Correct or incorrect? The positive of all three!

They can't turn back time and enter the cubicle where I pulled a few notes from my trousers. It's over. It happened and it will again and it shall continue for years to come. The SEC are a hoard of gullible journeymen if they think they can do anything about it. That's why I'm confident.
    Hopefully I'll see you in 5 years when I've my degree and you're still learning your poetry in English :)

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

A short and simple post from me:

Well done OP!
    You have performed your civic duty.

From those of us who value, honesty and integrity, I thank you.

Good luck with the rest of your exams.

T

Hopefully I'll see you in 5 years when I've my degree and you're still learning your poetry in English :)

You'll be hoping :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

I know one of the 5th year supervisors and I convinced him to video this one guy who has cheated in most of his exams so far from outside the door as evidence if he denied it ( the doors are open in our hall This happened yesterday and he put it on youtube - hero =) <modsnip>

Gobsh*ite!

*sigh*

Rickrolling was SO last year! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

The SEC are a hoard of gullible journeymen if they think they can do anything about it. That's why I'm confident.

The SEC is also
    monitoring discussion forums and social networking sites this year... including concerns about exam cheating on the online discussion forum boards.ie

They probably have your IP address already, and you did just confess.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Two words:

Fcuk Cheaters. Abd I don't care if I get banned for this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

PARARORY wrote: »
    I know one of the 5th year supervisors and I convinced him to video this one guy who has cheated in most of his exams so far from outside the door as evidence if he denied it ( the doors are open in our hall This happened yesterday and he put it on youtube - hero =) <modsnip>

Gobsh*ite!

/sigh

RoverJames wrote: »
    If you're doing business if you get a job it will be horrible and low paid, possibly not dead end, most jobs are horrible.

I'm currently doing a summer internship as a research assistant and I'm loving it!! Sure I'm low paid at the moment, as many people doing placements for courses this year were luckly to be paid at all! I have looked up information about future prospects for this line of work, and things look good for me.

Perhaps you are reflecting on your own circumstances?

The SEC is also

They probably have your IP address already, and you did just confess.

Why would boards give out private details? Besides I'm not really telling the truth. I'm having you on! :pac: Or am I? They have no hard evidence. Simple as that. A few words here and an IP address prove nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Didn't read all the thread but we need a <modsnip> type image for the bragging cheaters in this thread. :)

Ancient history ... let it lie!

Well, I've just sent the SEC a very strongly-worded e-mail. I suggest you all do. I'm also contacting Boards.ie

Sherifu wrote: »
    Didn't read all the thread but we need a <modsnip> type image for the bragging cheaters in this thread. :)

Someone mentioned him already. He wasn't very careful was he! I am. You'll be hard pressed to do that to me and don't bother because this thread is not about finding me out.

LOL, as much as I hate to side with any cheaters, it's true. They could post their name, address and school on here and it would mean nothing. You have to be caught in the act.

Still, as I said, I'm hoping the invigilators might actually do their jobs now and stop any further cheating. All we can do is hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Why would boards give out private details? Besides I'm not really telling the truth. I'm having you on! :pac: Or am I? They have no hard evidence. Simple as that. A few words here and an IP address prove nothing.

I would not post potentially self-incriminating material on the internet if I were you. Saying you got away with cheating is not "cool", it's stupid. You are basically admitting to a criminal offence, which can legally be investigated by the SEC and the Department of Education. You could jeopardise your results, which may be withheld pending a full investigation. That means you might miss out on college this September; which would make you look even more ridiculous if you're lying...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement