Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 teleboy

Mick Daly wrote: »
    Cheating is pathetic. I was playing a bit of a joke and it went too far. That was patheric. Everyone seemed to believe it. Thats was also pathetic.

It is clear to see from this thread that people want to see people slung up over this whole thing. "I'm contacting boards.ie and the SEC" etc. Why do people feel the need to get so involved. "Oh you're f""ked now buddy" etc.

Well,you probably have caused a bit of trouble for yourself already,like think about what slaman did,maybe he was cheating maybe he wasnt,but he started the investigation and all this bragging that you did(true or false),you have probably landed yourself in the middle of it anyways.well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Cheating is pathetic. I was playing a bit of a joke and it went too far. That was patheric. Everyone seemed to believe it. Thats was also pathetic.

It is clear to see from this thread that people want to see people slung up over this whole thing. "I'm contacting boards.ie and the SEC" etc. Why do people feel the need to get so involved. "Oh you're f""ked now buddy" etc.
    Maybe the Irish are finally getting over their "ah sure it's grand once you're not caught!" attitude, and copping on that people who deal dishonestly, whether in the LC, in life, in business or in politics hurt everyone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Samskeyti

Michael 09 wrote: »
    I think today a lot of people are aware of it though...

Did you think you'd get this reaction?

haha no chance! i just started it because i wanted advice on what to do. never expected it to evolve into a national headline. its weird to think i started this by just simply ranting about injustices online lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irondragons

Thanks folks.

I'm here all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Amen brother....that was a serious post alot of passion,
    personally in my school back in the day when i was one of the tys who sit outside and bring people to the toilet, this girl went into the bathroom with a stash of notes and came out with none!...

we couldnt for the life of us find them, just shows some people are willing to step over everything and anyone to get what they want...

pricks...

*sister :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

It happened also when I sat the L.C. in 1984. Only one person in the room supervising! I can't say that it bothered me but only 'Why didn't I think of doing that' but I was surprised at who was doing it. But hey, it's happening in Government & probably in every business world wide I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Because you went around saying very arrogant things. Your attitude didn't help, and your posts seemed provocative.
    And it does look like you are covering your tracks.
    If you didn't cheat, fair play to you.
    If you did, I feel sorry for you but, if you get caught you get what you deserve.

People who get involved do so because they can do something and feel like they should. And fair play to them. 'Cuz what they are doing is right, no matter how unpoplular that might be. At the end of the day they are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Can't believe i'm writing this, i've tried very hard to stay out of the way :P

Look, this was front page news in a national newspaper today, they know what's going on! While I am dead set against cheating, a personal crusade to root out on more culprit is pointless. The guy who cheats might get an extra couple of grades and cheat you out of your college course, that's very true. Spending your study time antagonising a few people who've "admitted" cheating on here is even more likely to cost you that place.

There's an investigation been started, make sure you get the maximum points you can get and let the people who are paid to prevent cheating do their job. If you see something in school then tell someone, but winding up people who could very well not even be doing exams helps nobody.

Beat them by achieving the best results you can, now go and study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 niamhygiggles

I agree with what you saying to a certain degree. The SEC are aware of this thread. It is not for us, the members of the general public, to start a witch hunt on an online forum.

However, I think you must have a quite boring life if you find it funny to play such a 'joke'. Isn't a joke meant to be funny? Where is the punchline in this. If you were really just here for a joke you would have either kept it going or just fecked off after getting bored. Why do you feel the need to justify yourself to a bunch of strangers? Why do you care whether they believe you or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Maybe the Irish are finally getting over their "ah sure it's grand once you're not caught!" attitude, and copping on that people who deal dishonestly, whether in the LC, in life, in business or in politics hurt everyone?
    Could you make that bracket any wider?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

People who get involved do so because they can do something and feel like they should. And fair play to them. 'Cuz what they are doing is right, no matter how unpoplular that might be. At the end of the day they are right.

That's a fair point I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 student01

Samskeyti wrote: »
    haha no chance! i just started it because i wanted advice on what to do. never expected it to evolve into a national headline. its weird to think i started this by just simply ranting about injustices online lol

Power of the internet :)
    Have the SEC contacted you like it said in the newspaper article?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Protagonist

Look, this was front page news in a national newspaper today, they know what's going on! While I am dead set against cheating, a personal crusade to root out on more culprit is pointless. The guy who cheats might get an extra couple of grades and cheat you out of your college course, that's very true. Spending your study time antagonising a few people who've "admitted" cheating on here is even more likely to cost you that place.

There's an investigation been started, make sure you get the maximum points you can get and let the people who are paid to prevent cheating do their job. If you see something in school then tell someone, but winding up people who could very well not even be doing exams helps nobody.

Amen, I surely wasn't spending my leaving cert days on boards.ie lol

I agree with what you saying to a certain degree. The SEC are aware of this thread. It is not for us, the members of the general public, to start a witch hunt on an online forum.

However, I think you must have a quite boring life if you find it funny to play such a 'joke'. Isn't a joke meant to be funny? Where is the punchline in this. If you were really just here for a joke you would have either kept it going or just fecked off after getting bored. Why do you feel the need to justify yourself to a bunch of strangers? Why do you care whether they believe you or not?

I suppose it kept some people going for a while. I type while watching/listening to the match. I was here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Look Mick you cheated. Now just accept it like a man and be ready to face the consequences.

Anyway we all should go (cram) study. So leave mickey mouse alone with his antics. In the end you will get what you deserve.

I think you're onto something there. Good post.

Perhaps you are reflecting on your own circumstances?

Ish :) I've had 5/6 jobs/contracts in 8 years since leaving college, most horrible but all lucrative thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

student01 wrote: »
    It was just my luck that today was the only day I needed to go to the toilet during the exam... I was dying to go for like an hour but because of this scandal I really didn't want to leave :p
    I ending up writing so fast trying to finish (so that I could leave) I don't think the corrector will be able to read my writing!

Haha, bet it'll be my turn tomorrow now, just to be awkward!!!

Good luck tomorrow everyone,
    Finally going to study for history like I should have been doing earlier... :)

Power of the internet :)
    Have the SEC contacted you like it said in the newspaper article?

im in my own bubble here, not used to all of this attention! what was said in the paper article youre talking about?

Yes. Good luck to everyone.

Study. There is nothing to see around here!

People will probably see that as an attempt by me to take away from the furore I seemed to have created. There's no talking to some people.

Anyway, best of luck.

• Advertisement

im in my own bubble here, not used to all of this attention! what was said in the paper article youre talking about?

Did the SEC not contact you at all?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Ish :) I've had 5/6 jobs/contracts in 8 years since leaving college, most horrible but all lucrative thankfully.

LOL there are jobs out there that are well paid and enjoyable. Very few and far between and usually nepotism is involved!! Ah sure once your generally happy in life that's all that matters! Gotta have something to smile about :)

I suppose it kept some people going for a while. I type while watching/listening to the match. I was here anyway.

You never answered my final questions. Why do you care what a bunch of strangers on an online forum think of you?

You never answered my final questions. Why do you care what a bunch of strangers on an online forum think of you?

I don't. Sure they know nothing about me so of what significance is their opinion to me?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0615/1224272522104.html
    You're quoted a few times in that :p
    Sorry in my last post I asked if it's true they contacted you... I meant is it true you contacted them? Or are the SEC telling lies to keep people happy?

I don't. Sure they know nothing about me so what significance is their opinion to me.

Then what's with the back tracking? Why the justification?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0615/1224272522104.html
    You're quoted a few times in that :p
    Sorry in my last post I asked if it's true they contacted you... I meant is it true you contacted them? Or are the SEC telling lies to keep people happy?

i contacted them by giving them a link to this thread and i sent it to their email

Then what's with the back tracking? Why the justification?

Confusion? People got riled up about it. People started over analysing what I said.

Then you may ask "what was the point in saying anything in the first place"?

What is the point in replying to any thread? Why are we all here? Who did this? What colour is wheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Good advice.

• Advertisement

i contacted them by giving them a link to this thread and i sent it to their email
    Ah right ok... they journalist makes it seem like you were chatting to them directly :p
    Anyway, I'm off to study... only 2 left! :D
    Good luck with the rest of the exams!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement