Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

wooo!
    yes ian :P
    Shhh, don't mention names in here. I want to cheat in my college exams next year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭leedsfan88

I disagree. There are no successful businesspeople with good morals, just successful businesspeople with some damn good PR :D

Will have to agree with you here Barfly1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭blankguitarist

Healium wrote: »
    Shhh, don't mention names in here. I want to cheat in my college exams next year :rolleyes:

haha :P it's probably a bad idea for us to have the same username on different sites, makes me very trackable :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I disagree. There are no successful businesspeople with good morals, just successful businesspeople with some damn good PR :D
    I disagree. And I'm proud to number a couple of them among my friends.

Oh, I'm not suggesting they're saints, or that they spend hours agonising over every tiny ethical conundrum, but they have a basic moral / ethical compass, they stick to it and they sleep well at nights.

And they're surviving the recession quite well too, partly because of loyal clients who appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Disagree.They want to succeed by not breaking the law.

• Advertisement

my god, we've all gone so off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 deltoro

If you think "cheating" is wrong you should wake up.
    The system cheats us every year the only thing it rewards is someone's ability to spend ridiculously long periods of time learning largely irrelevant and rarely stimulating information.
    It is widely agreed it is not a test of intelligence or aptitude.
    They are many people who just don't have the ability to learn off countless notes and essays and reproduce them in the relatively short time period that is a leaving cert examination.
    There are some people who might know all the answers but cant write them in the alloted period.
    These people are just as eager and deserving to go on to third level education as anyone else.
    IF you rat on someone "cheating" I hope you can live with the fact that you've cheated them out of the next four years of their life..Just think about that before doing something anyone with any sense of morality will regret.

And I don't cheat for the record but I've no problem with anyone who feels they need to.

deltoro wrote: »
    IF you rat on someone cheating I hope you can live with the fact that you've cheated them out of the next four years of their life..Just think about that before doing something anyone with any sense of morality will regret.
    Hahaha!
    Sorry, but... :confused:
    I don't think the majority of people cheat because they feel incapable of succeeding in the system. They just cheat because they're lazy, selfish scumbags :pac:

my god, we've all gone so off topic
    Yes and no.

Cheating in the LC / ethics in life are fairly inextricably linked in my view.

I've always said that we need to provide an education in both ethics and logic to young people in secondary school; consequently, I find it both amusing and ironic that this debate is now happening in the LC forum on Boards!! :D

Hahaha!
    Sorry, but... :confused:
    I don't think the majority of people cheat because they feel incapable of succeeding in the system. They just cheat because they're lazy, selfish scumbags :pac:
    In fairness, I would have to agree with those saying that people cheat for all sorts of reasons, including sudden blind panic.

I think a more relevant question is: does the reason someone cheats make it right?

They just cheat because they're lazy, selfish scumbags :pac:

So you don't have any friends who cheat?

Let me rephrase that do you have any friends?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have my morals and I'm successful in business. Its possible, it just depends if you consider your self respect worth the work. I do.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

It is widely agreed it is not a test of intelligence or aptitude.
    They are many people who just don't have the ability to learn off countless notes and essays and reproduce them in the relatively short time period that is a leaving cert examination.

so then they should do worse then the students who put in the time and effort to learn off the notes and essays. like you said the leaving cert is not a test of intelligence, it is a memory test. so the students who put int he time and energy to memorize the work should get higher marks.

everybody gets the same papers and everybody has had an equal amount of time to put in the work so if anybody does cheat i have no problem with banning them from state exams for 4 years. they know what will happen if they are caught so let it be on their heads.

No, I don't have any friends who cheat in the Leaving Cert
    Indeed, I'm almost certain nobody in my whole year is cheating

Stop trying to defend cheating

we've been through all this before. seriously, it's just going in circles now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

gant0 wrote: »
    Don't be a dirty ****ing rat!!!why would you willing go about to ruin someones whole life??are you really that sad? does it bother you that much?.Ya people cheat,people in my centre cheat but why care unless they're actually interferring with your exam.It's there lives their risking.If you do snitch tho I can quarantee you karma will follow you for the rest of your life and you will NEVER get laid!!!:eek:

This logic makes no bloody sense. You take the risk to cheat, you live with the consequences. The only Karma the OP will get is good Karma for standing up for decency and for everyone who studies there arse off for months and does the exam the correct way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

The system cheats us every year

I don't agree with everything you said - but I'm completely with you on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Just leave the thread.

Like me.

:D

and because they're retards... who have been handed a lot or nothing in life and cant work for ****e

Ok let me make this simple...

Doing well in the leaving cert is a specific skill.
    Like playing guitar,football or chess.
    Can you play guitar?Any good at football?Chess master?

If no does that make you a "retard"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mrbruno

There are people cheating in every school, without a doubt. If you think about it if you can cheat in the leaving you can cheat in life, essentially it's a life skill!
    But being realistic how much info can you remember in 2minutes in the jacks? Not much more than you would if you just studied. And no, I don't cheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

ha i*n ( soooo subtle) thats 2 people who have you to bitch to your uni about ;):pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

Haha, so you think that if people are moral and surround themselves with moral people, they are losers?
    That if they don't attempt, by cheating, to steal someone else's college place and future, or know anyone who does, automatically they have no friends?
    I know what would change your view...any of your cheating friends going for the same college course as you, hmmm?

God, this is ridiculous. I agree with Healium.

No, I don't have any friends who cheat in the Leaving Cert
    Indeed, I'm almost certain nobody in my whole year is cheating

Stop trying to defend cheating

Honestly?What school you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

If you think "cheating" is wrong you should wake up.
    The system cheats us every year the only thing it rewards is someone's ability to spend ridiculously long periods of time learning largely irrelevant.

By cheating, you're not hitting back at the system; you're hitting at other students.
    IF you rat on someone cheating I hope you can live with the fact that you've cheated them out of the next four years of their life..Just think about that before doing something anyone with any sense of morality will regret.

As for "cheating someone out of the next four years of their life" that's absolute nonsense. They knew what the consequences were when they decided to cheat, and if they're caught because someone has told on them, it is no ones fault but their own. They're adults -at soon will be adults- they're old enough to take responsibility for their own actions.

Honestly, this cheating-apologists attitude is getting on my nerves. If a person reports someone for stealing a car, and they get a year long prison sentence, have they cheated the thief out of a year of their life? If someone gives evidence at a murder trial and they murder gets life sentence, have they cheated the person out of their life? No. Of course not. They cheated themselves out of those years by committing the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

deltoro it'd be more in your line to go study rather than defend cheaters here??

It's been going in circles since Saturday, but if we were to close the thread, there would be a rumpus, and accusations that we were hiding something / reacting to the media limelight / restricting free speech / take your pick and leave your shovel! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Sigi

unknown13 wrote: »
    Getting them in a fair manner IE STUDYING is just as important to me because at least I have the satisfaction that I worked my ass off by putting in the hours and taking the benefits of my work

Well if that satisfaction is worth spending all that time then alright.But don't complain if someone who cheated gets your place.I on the other hand have the satisfaction of doing as good or better than everybody who spent the year studying.Personally I wouldn't be satisfied by taking the longest and most difficult route to complete a task

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

It's been going in circles since Saturday, but if we were to close the thread, there would be a rumpus, and accusations that we were hiding something / reacting to the media limelight / restricting free speech / take your pick and leave your shovel! :D

Ah Randy and your ever sage traits! :rolleyes:

Now that'd be telling ;)
    Its funny, I expected a lot of my year to cheat. But they don't. We're a contrasting year, with high achievers and very low achievers, but there's an unwritten pact that nobody cheats

What's the point?
    If you can't work hard now, you'll only end up dropping out of college anyway, stealing someone else's place AND wasting it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

i go to a different school to healium but i know most of the ppl in that school . pretty sure guesstimate that noone (at most 2 people who are only looking for d3 if even) are cheating. because at the end of the day all the people who want college in that school are working for it, and those who dont..well the LC is just a laugh. relax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Sigi wrote: »
    Well if that satisfaction is worth spending all that time then alright.But don't complain if someone who cheated gets your place.I on the other hand have the satisfaction of doing as good or better than everybody who spent the year studying.Personally I wouldn't be satisfied by taking the longest and most difficult route to complete a task

I take it you haven't read today's paper?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement