Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Sigi wrote: »
    Thanks.I like to think I am.

By whats necessary what i mean is: You know give or take how many points you need.So go and get them by whatever means you can.If cheating will get you where you want to be then so be it.If you don't get what you want its nobody's fault but your own.

And as for the friend thing,yeah it'd be funny.I wouldn't actually say it but yeah.What would you do in that position?
    Ok, well I'll rob your house tomorrow because I need the cash for my new HDTV. I need it, loike. Halo looks rubbish on me 20"

...and you know what, tomorrow I'm going to KICK Bishop Brennan up the ARSE!

ANARCHY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Sigi

The means by which I would get them is by studying! And if I didnt get the points, I should have studied harder. I looked here on Boards for some mocks tips for English and felt so guilty after I couldnt get anymore!

I would never be in that situation because I would never cheat.

Theres really 2 ways to do the LC(for most).Study or else cheat.If you want to limit yourself to one of the two because of your superior conscience fair enough,thats your choice.But if someone who cheated gets in ahead of you,its your fault.You had the option,you didn't take it.

Healium wrote: »
    Ok, well I'll rob your house tomorrow because I need the cash for my new HDTV. I need it, loike. Halo looks rubbish on me 20"

Go for it.Like cheating on the LC you're taking a big risk.But if it works out for you fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

Theres really 2 ways to do the LC(for most).Study or else cheat.If you want to limit yourself to one of the two because of your superior conscience fair enough,thats your choice.But if someone who cheated gets in ahead of you,its your fault.You had the option,you didn't take it.

Now you're talking.

• Advertisement

But sure if we all cheat, we'll still be in the same position
    The high achievers will make better time of their 30 seconds in the jacks :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MichelleSm1th

You expect to do well in Medicine yet you struggle with leaving cert maths. PS, you are entitled to nothing in life. You have to earn it.

Are you doing the leaving cert this year? If not, which I highly believe you are not, then you clearly are out of touch with the youth of today! Whilst you will be busy with your life in later years commenting on things that have nothing to do with you, I will be progressing successfully in life doing things worthwhile like saving lives and helping the poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I had the option to cheat? Nobody has the option to cheat! Its not like a form where ya tick (A) or (B) and thats that?

Like I have said to all the others, cheating shouldnt be condoned and I dont know how you could stand around all your teachers, them patting you on the back saying congratulations you clearly worked very hard, and smile and say yeah I did, thanks?! HOW?

I dont have a superior conscience, I have a perfectly normal, anti cheating conscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Thanks.I like to think I am.

By whats necessary what i mean is: You know give or take how many points you need.So go and get them by whatever means you can.If cheating will get you where you want to be then so be it.If you don't get what you want its nobody's fault but your own.

And as for the friend thing,yeah it'd be funny.I wouldn't actually say it but yeah.What would you do in that position?

As a matter of interest what course are you actually interested in?
    Same goes for Mr.Daly there, what fantastic course is it you are cheating for? Enlighten us...

Same goes for Mr.Daly there, what fantastic course is it you are cheating for? Enlighten us...
    Basket Making on the Aran Islands? Jam Making in Wickla' ?

• Advertisement

But sure if we all cheat, we'll still be in the same position
    The high achievers will make better time of their 30 seconds in the jacks :rolleyes:

Minus the :rolleyes:. I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Basket Making on the Aran Islands? Jam Making in Wickla' ?
    Tone the sarcasm down a notch, Healium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MichelleSm1th

I was referring to The Dazzler, sorry

Well I'm not cheating but either Computer science,psychology or physics.Probably comp sci

aine92 wrote: »
    I had the option to cheat? Nobody has the option to cheat!

Who's controlling you?

You do have a choice. You decide whether or not you want to drink a cup of tea. You decide if you will punch someone or just leave them alone. You decide if you want to suck or lick. You have a choice. You chose not to cheat.

Tone the sarcasm down a notch, Healium.
    Sarcasm? Me? :D

Randy, I see no difference in a practical, 5 point course and a 585 medicine course ;) If mushing your fingers around in berries all day makes you happy, live the dream, brother!

Y'know, there's a niche for jam in Ireland...
    Maybe UCD will have to wait... I'm onto something here... :D

/flees from randy's burned out banhamma'

I agree with your concerns about cheating but I have my reservations. The LC is grossly unfair to have to study for 7 subjects and try and get A1's in at least six so that you can get into medicine! It has put untold stress on me to make my parents happy! How can one be expected to excel in such differing fields as maths and irish. I love the cupla focal gaeilge but am hopeless at maths. Lucky for me, there is a man name Steve Jobs.

Just last week, I pretended to use my iPhone as a calculator. In fact the supervisor in my hall complemented me on such a nice calculator. Little did he know, I had the ability to go online and look up such pointless things as trigonometry and algebra. Now this may have been a help to me but you have got to put yourself in a position to succeed later in life. My parents always engrained a sense of entitlement in my upbringing and I believe I have every right to do "whatever it takes".
    Are you doing the leaving cert this year? If not, which I highly believe you are not, then you clearly are out of touch with the youth of today! Whilst you will be busy with your life in later years commenting on things that have nothing to do with you, I will be progressing successfully in life doing things worthwhile like saving lives and helping the poor.
    We've had a few trolly people in this thread, but the combination of your username and those posts suggests to me that you are taking the proverbial..

Feel free to contact the Category Moderators and convince them I am wrong.

Banned from LC in the interim. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drg85

I dearly hope you're a troll, and I should know better but this point should be made...

I work in a pretty cool area where one must have a solid medical and mathematical background. As part of my work, I have third level students for mathematics. And let me assure you now if you can't hack it now at LC level, you will simply not be able to get through the workload.

Medicine requires a great deal of rote learning I'm afraid; in a busy hospital situation you cannot just stick signs into WedMD and cross your fingers; you will be snowed under with work, and you will have to make INFORMED calls on your feet. Is it incredibly tough, many drop out and some simply burn out before their 5/6 years of med training are through.

Moreover, maths is vital if you want to be of any use; a numerically challenged individual won't be able to work through the basic stats required for medicine.

Even in my subfield, we have many high pointers coming in who simply do not pass muster and drop out in first year or fail. The figure is as high as 55% in some of the university schools (engineering, physics, medicine, biology, biochem/bioengineering etc..) so your airy statements I suspect will bite you in the ass some day in the near future.

The LC is the most basic and generic admittance requirement; you could cheat it, bluff it, maybe fluke it. But in the real world of medicine and academia, you can kiss that goodbye fairly rapidly.

FYI, Doctors often have to make ethical decisions with or for a patient. I don't like the idea of someone of your calibre being in that position very much..

aine92 wrote: »
    I had the option to cheat? Nobody has the option to cheat! Its not like a form where ya tick (A) or (B) and thats that?

Like I have said to all the others, cheating shouldnt be condoned and I dont know how you could stand around all your teachers, them patting you on the back saying congratulations you clearly worked very hard, and smile and say yeah I did, thanks?! HOW?

I dont have a superior conscience, I have a perfectly normal, anti cheating conscience.

No free will eh?As far as I'm aware you do indeed have the option to cheat.
    And I don't plan to tell anybody I worked hard.I didn't need to and therefore I didn't.

drg85 wrote: »
    FYI, Doctors often have to make ethical decisions with or for a patient. I don't like the idea of someone of your calibre being in that position very much..
    That's a scary thought....
    "We need to get this tumor out, whatever it takes. If we don't, the patient will die. Yes, yes, take out the liver. It's loss is better than death. Still can't find it? Ok, remove the kidneys. Goddamnit, there's blood everywhere! I can't operate like this! Stop the heart, I need to remove this tumor!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

Well I'm not cheating but either Computer science,psychology or physics.Probably comp sci
    No free will eh?As far as I'm aware you do indeed have the option to cheat.
    And I don't plan to tell anybody I worked hard.I didn't need to and therefore I didn't.
    I'm confused. Are you or are you not cheating. You really make it sound like you are....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Love this thread. Js!

/flees from randy's burned out banhamma'
    My hamma' is far from burned out, dude, lots of life left in it yet! ;)

Fete wrote: »
    I'm confused. Are you or are you not cheating. You really make it sound like you are....

Lol.I'm not cheating but I didn't study either.I'm fairly good at remembering things first time around so I've no need to go over it again.

I'm arguing that I see no problem with cheating and that if thats what you need to get where you want to be,then go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

@ Fete

Well i'd say that even if he is, he isn't gonna admit it ... unless he is an idiot :D but nice try xD
    :pac: @ @ @

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

Areq wrote: »
    @ Fete

Well i'd say that even if he is, he isn't gonna admit it ... unless he is an idiot :D but nice try xD
    :pac: @ @ @
    Oh believe me. I'm not trying to catch anyone out here ;) Obviously that wouldn't work. It's just that up until he stated that he doesn't cheat, it had sounded like he was admitting he did. And those two posts to me looked like an attempt at trolling. Guess not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

LMAO!!!!!!!!

lot to learn....

Lol.I'm not cheating but I didn't study either.I'm fairly good at remembering things first time around so I've no need to go over it again.

I'm arguing that I see no problem with cheating and that if thats what you need to get where you want to be,then go for it.

Yes. People must get of their high horses and let go. They spend too much time bothering about others. I think the OP was wrong. I wouldn't be spoofing of someone who is sitting in the same exam hall as myself. There is a loyalty there, not jealousy. I don't hate the person that gets up and goes to the toilet. I don't feel sorry for them. My opinion is no different of them than it was before. Good luck to them and I'd hope they get what they want. No hard feelings. I'm not cheating and I don't care what the hell anyone else does. I wouldn't think too much about it. Move on. It's not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Mick Daly wrote: »
    You decide if you want to suck or lick.

personally I prefer licks. Lol

• Advertisement

fufureida wrote: »
    personally I prefer licks. Lol
    :rolleyes:

S&S is thattaway!
    >

This discussion has been closed.