Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭LCgonnakillme

Was seriously considering cheating today :( had the notes in my sock and all.
    Went to the toilet sweaty as **** as about what i was going to do but the exam attendent followed me (a student).

And now I thank God he did.
    I didnt look at my notes as he was listening but i also couldnt go to the toilet ..it was awkward with him listening :p .

But i thank God now that he did follow me.

I don't think i could live with myself if I cheated :)

Came home and took the notes out.
    they were damp with the sweat off my leg, man it was hot today. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

I didnt look at my notes as he was listening but i also couldnt go to the toilet ..it was awkward with him listening :p

It's nice to see some people still show a bit of morals don't cheat. That's the main thing, no matter whether you planned to or not the fact that you didn't shows you've got a stronger will power than any cheater, to do the right think! :)

*pats on the back*

But that part that I've quoted (sorry this is a bit off topic)... I go to an all girls school and so the bathroom thing with attendants has never really cropped up before.....

But in mixed schools, do they have to have a male and female attendant outside for the bathroom thing or ... how does that work? haha I can imagine it'd be a bit awkward if you were a girl and there was some random guy stood outside listening to you....and I'd say it'd even worse if your a guy and there's a girl stood listening!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

It's nice to see some people still show a bit of morals don't cheat. That's the main thing, no matter whether you planned to or not the fact that you didn't shows you've got a stronger will power than any cheater, to do the right think! :)

*pats on the back*

But that part that I've quoted (sorry this is a bit off topic)... I go to an all girls school and so the bathroom thing with attendants has never really cropped up before.....

But in mixed schools, do they have to have a male and female attendant outside for the bathroom thing or ... how does that work? haha I can imagine it'd be a bit awkward if you were a girl and there was some random guy stood outside listening to you....and I'd say it'd even worse if your a guy and there's a girl stood listening!

tbh 99% of lads couldnt give a flyin feck....and on that not, i dont see any problem with a male door attendant goin into the body of the girls bathroom itself...nothin too scandallous about the girls having working soap dispensers and handbasins not full of píss...? The girl doin the listenin would probably be the more embarassed one!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

All the controversy this year should result in some major security changes for next years exam. Saying that, it will be very difficult to prove for definite that someone is cheating in this years exam which is unfortunate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

Gill_Pie wrote: »
    I hope they find you Mick Daly

They can try but they're wasting their time.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Get

students should go into the exam naked, that way no would can hide notes and it would aviod people being searched after going toilet.

<modsnip)

To all leaving certs GOODNIGHT & GL

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

All you kids still fighting? Lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

it will be very difficult to prove for definite that someone is cheating in this years exam which is unfortunate.

Exactly. It will be difficult in any year nevermind this year only. They can't prove anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Get

Deiseblaa wrote: »
    One girl has been caught by other students with her fone in her bra which she takes out during the exam and uses it to cheat!
    So someone caught this girl putting her hand down her bra during the exam, dont mean to be immature but that would be **** distracting, and sexy ha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

*sigh*

Fufureida, Mick Daly, cut it out you two!! (posts deleted)

Get, go think of girls and their bras somewhere else, please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Samskeyti wrote: »
    There's cheating happening in my school, the majority of students use the fact that the toilets are in our P.E hall and that the superintendents have no reason to follow them in. The students hide notes written from before the exam in their socks and pants and some even got away with having a phone on their lap for an entire paper and reading saved messages from it. Others used the bathroom to call students from other schools and got full answers on questions.

Our principal is a complete waster as students were caught cheating in the L.C.V.P exam and nothing was done about it. I thought if you were caught cheating that you couldn't sit another state exam? Should I inform the superintendents of how stupid they're being or e-mail the State Examinations Commission? I know for definate that Irish will be the exam that most will cheat on because of learning notes off by heart will prove too much effort for them. Help??:confused:
    Some day you will grow a little older and realise

a- The Leaving Cert is one of the least important periods of your growing up, apart from the session after it.

and

b- People who cheat the system get further in life. And deserve to :) People abroad quite respect and admire the image that the Irish are a bunch of merry chancers who play by their own rules and stick a middle finger to going by the book. They would be a bit shocked at the ratting.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

If you ask me, the Leaving Cert is a broken system to begin with.

It's measuring how much tedious work a teenager is willing to do to get something they're not going to appreciate till much later in their lifetime.

Frankly I doubht cheating will affect the marking very much at all.. the Leaving Cert has to get harder each year, period.

If people continue to do well at it, then it will continue to get harder so it can further seperate people's "ability". People have gotten next to perfect exam results before, I know people who have. So for some people it's barely a challenge at all, and an inaccurate measure of their ability, but really the truth is that it's an inaccurate measure of anyone's ability.

Lets face it lads, at 18 you were hardly mad for Math, Irish, or whatever you were thinking. They were the last things on your mind. Unless books give you an orgasm, studying was hardly very high on your list of prioritys.

So is cheating a broken system like the Leaving Cert wrong? I don't really think so. Considering the government are going to do **** all about changing it anytime soon.

We should have a system that analyzes the student over the 6 years, and then gives them a set of choices as to where to go.

Now if you honestly believe the Leaving Cert analyzes an 18 year old teenager in any shape or form, you can disappear up your own ass and get real.

I think the youth are cheated enough with the system we have in place now. I'm hardly going to cry rivers if they start cheating it back. And lets face it the Leaving Cert is going to get marked harder anyway as long as people do well in it.

To the girl who posted this, why not cheat yourself? Bankers and the government are doing it.. lets face it, the Leaving Cert has cheated you out of a lot of time you're not getting back. Irish society in general is full of cheats, scam artists, and frauds. Both in government, the public, the private sector, rich, poor etc. You may as well do it yourself, it's the Irish way of getting by.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

You may as well do it yourself, it's the Irish way of getting by.

Im 100% Irish and don't cheat. It's not the irish way of getting by.

And frankly I find it quite childish that you said ''The goverment and the banks are doing it why not do it to?''

Well altho that is true, just because there doing doesn't mean we should do it. If thats the case the cycle will never end and when the government ''retire'' or whatever, they'll be replaced by other cheaters?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Ok maybe it was a bit harsh saying it's the Irish way of getting by.

It's the universes way of getting by. There's crime, drugs, scams, etc LOADS of **** in this world.

You can dream off to rainbow land thinking that by never doing that kind've thing yourself, you'll get by fine.

But that's living in a bubble/cloud talk. Any salesman will tell you that. In the real world you have to be competitive with other people.

And mark my words, governments of the world will always be cheating people in some way.

I'm sorry, but lets be real here. Everyone cheats, you need to cheat in life to get by. Anyone in business will tell you this. It's just the truth, the world is competitive, survival of the fittest etc.

I'm sorry, but lets be real here. Everyone cheats, you need to cheat in life to get by. Anyone in business will tell you this. It's just the truth, the world is competitive, survival of the fittest etc.

Unfortunetly I agree, and thats the sad truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

Agree with everything except ''if you think it anaylses them in any shape or form''

*natural intelligence to comprehend*!
    Personality
    Work ethic

a very narrow-minded comment. The leaving cert material is for 18 year olds, some get 600 points, others get 300.

You're making the point that there is no difference between such people?

Mr Cawley wrote: »

a very narrow-minded comment. The leaving cert material is for 18 year olds, some get 600 points, others get 300.

You're making the point that there is no difference between such people?

Imo, only the amount of work they put in for the academic ability. I'm not particularly school smart, prefer learning about computers and doing somthing I have an interest in.

But no disrespect to the people getting 600 points a it's a great achievement, but in order to work to that extent without cheating, I'd be fairly suprised if they were as good as sports e.g football etc

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

Imo, only the amount of work they put in for the academic ability. I'm not particularly school smart, prefer learning about computers and doing somthing I have an interest in.

But no disrespect to the people getting 600 points a it's a great achievement, but in order to work to that extent without cheating, I'd be fairly suprised if they were as good as sports e.g football etc

You're right, good example why people are different and hence the LC analyses their ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 teleboy

a- The Leaving Cert is one of the least important periods of your growing up, apart from the session after it.

and

b- People who cheat the system get further in life. And deserve to :) People abroad quite respect and admire the image that the Irish are a bunch of merry chancers who play by their own rules and stick a middle finger to going by the book. They would be a bit shocked at the ratting.

Man,that is simply just not true,maybe it worked for you,but you will find for a lot of people,the leaving cert is extremely important,even if you didnt need it,and honest people get quite far too,often further than cheaters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

*pats on the back*

im in a mixed school and girl attendants go with girls like guys with guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Why? I expect I'll get between 550-600 points, and I have been playing football all year, we won a county minor final a few weeks ago with me playing midfield.

My sister got 600 points last year, this year she won the Irish Universities individual showjumping competition for UCD, as a 1st year, and made the 1st or 2nd team for the UCD triathlon team AFAIK.

A guy in our school got 585 last year, he was one of the better players on the school football team.

What a stupid, jealous statement. "You can't be good at sports and stuff if you're good in school". :L

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What a stupid, jealous statement. "You can't be good at sports and stuff if you're good in school". :L

Couldn't agree more. It's nearly always said about people who are good at sport, but lacking in school work. Being good at school will get you into college, the in reality the majority of people aren't good enough at sport for this to get them into a college. If you are, then fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Why? I expect I'll get between 550-600 points, and I have been playing football all year, we won a county minor final a few weeks ago with me playing midfield.

My sister got 600 points last year, this year she won the Irish Universities individual showjumping competition for UCD, as a 1st year, and made the 1st or 2nd team for the UCD triathlon team AFAIK.

A guy in our school got 585 last year, he was one of the better players on the school football team.

Yup, stupid remark. The highest points scorer in my school last year is on the galway county's hurling minor team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

and

You have succeeded in making the most inaccurate, pointless, baseless and pathetic statement that I have ever had the misfortune of reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Dymo

On Kilkenny local radio they say there after identifying a pupil from Carlow from this thread and are investigating the cheating alligations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Dymo wrote: »
    On Kilkenny local radio they say there after identifying a pupil from Carlow from this thread and are investigating the cheating alligations.

Seriously?:eek::D

I have nothing to be jealous about. I know a person who wasn't good in school and plays for portsmith youth team in England. So it works both ways imo.

But of course you will get exceptions of talented people academically and sports wise. It's tough to be successful at both is what I was implying.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I have nothing to be jealous about. I know a person who wasn't good in school and plays for portsmith youth team in England. So it works both ways imo.

But of course you will get exceptions of talented people academically and sports wise. It's tough to be successful at both is what I was implying.

That's true :) I'm good at school but terrible at sport. I'd probably prefer being better at school than being good at sport, but it would be nice not being a danger to everybody around me while playing sport :P

I'd probably prefer being better at school than being good at sport,

Makes two of us mate:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The student who sparked the exam cheating controversy and a national investigation is believed to be from Carlow.

It’s reported the girl claims the practice was widespread in the exams this year.

She posted her concerns on the boards-dot-ie website this week and claims she is conducting her exams honestly and said she started the thread after seeing “the boasts of a number of the cheaters on Facebook”.

The State Exams Commission is investigating.

From here.

Kind of a non-story. It basically says the OP is from Carlow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement