Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Bill_Le_Viking

By the way, you keep suggesting that the chances or people not getting their places is tiny.

Read the whole post, every single comment.

It is happening on a much larger scale than you think.

1000's of people will loose a place in collage.

For every 1 person that cheats and gets into collage, another person is turned away because a place has been filled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

gant0 wrote: »
    Ok I see,now you think I've cheated just because I've a different opinion on this issue.Doesn't seem very fare to imply That I'm as lowly as the cheaters.Listen I don't care if the cheaters are caught.That's not the problem I have.The problem I have is why would someone go out of there way to report them.It just doesn't make sense to me but I suppose it's the majority rules so I guess that'll be it for me in this thread.Good I love our Irish mentality,anyone with a different opinion is outcasted and treated sub-par.

That is completly ridiculous how exactly were you treated as sub par and outcasted?? Everyone merely expressed their own opinion and arguments the same as YOU did.
    Besides the Irish mentality is not to outcast.. it's to stand by and tolerate cheating..

Ok I see,now you think I've cheated just because I've a different opinion on this issue.Doesn't seem very fare to imply That I'm as lowly as the cheaters.Listen I don't care if the cheaters are caught.That's not the problem I have.The problem I have is why would someone go out of there way to report them.It just doesn't make sense to me but I suppose it's the majority rules so I guess that'll be it for me in this thread.Good I love our Irish mentality,anyone with a different opinion is outcasted and treated sub-par.

They never said you cheated.

Our irish mentallity? Don't you dare put me in the same boat as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sugarnutmuffin

OMG YOU SHOULD TELL THE PRINCIPLE OR SOMETHING....OH MY GOD THATS SOOO NOT FAIR WE HAVE TO SPEND AL NIGHT LEARNING OFF STUFF WHEN THEY JUST COPY AND GET FULL MARKS....THEY PROBABLY ARE TAKING UP PLACES IN COLLEGE BY CHEATING...THIS IS SOOOOOOO NOT FAIR TELL ON THEM

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ok I see,now you think I've cheated just because I've a different opinion on this issue.Doesn't seem very fare to imply.
    I didn't imply it, nor did I even leap to that conclusion.

If you look back, you will see that earlier in the thread I warned people off jumping to that conclusion just because someone held a different opinion from theirs.

What I meant by "I won't say what I think" is that if I did say bluntly what I thought of your logic, it would probably stray damn close to being insulting, and as a mod of this forum I am supposed to set a good example on such things! :p

It is you who are jumping to conclusions tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

OMG YOU SHOULD TELL THE PRINCIPLE OR SOMETHING....OH MY GOD THATS SOOO NOT FAIR WE HAVE TO SPEND AL NIGHT LEARNING OFF STUFF WHEN THEY JUST COPY AND GET FULL MARKS....THEY PROBABLY ARE TAKING UP PLACES IN COLLEGE BY CHEATING...THIS IS SOOOOOOO NOT FAIR TELL ON THEM
    I agree, someone of your intellect should not be denied their rightful place in college.

I agree, someone of your intellect should not be denied their rightful place in college.
    Careful now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 loocas

Careful now!!

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

No it's not.She chose to potentially ruin someones life just because she could.Now if you don't see the wrong in that there's something wrong.Now don't get me wrong,I'm not condoning the cheaters but I think her actions were far worse than anyone who cheated.

By 'ratting them out' she's chosen to ruin their life?? The reason she's 'ratting them out' is because if they continue to cheat they'll ruin her life by taking her university place.

You're a very confused person.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

K, went into the toilet after my Biology exam to check it out. A4 pad full of notes in the press under the sink, loads of Irish essays folded up and put in a bucket with cleaning utensils. In the cistern there was a polypocket with what looked like business.

• Advertisement

more proof its happening

It is happening on a much larger scale than you think.

1000's of people will loose a place in collage.
    In fairness, I suspect this is a bit over the top.

What is becoming clear from this thread is that cheating is more prevalent than we would like to think.

What is also becoming clear is that many young people don't seem to feel that there is anything wrong with cheating, whether or not they would do it themselves, or, at the very least, wouldn't be prepared to do anything about it if they knew about it.

I do believe that people will lose places in college, or be pipped to the post for their preferred course, because of this. I do believe that that is all sorts of wrong.

Thousands of people to lose their places in college, though? A bit OTT, no?

You're right I actually meant 100's not 1000's

But still, If every person who cheats does get into college, that means they're taking a place that would otherwise be given to another student.

If 100 Cheaters get into college, 100 students miss out on a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

In fairness, I suspect this is a bit over the top.

What is becoming clear from this thread is that cheating is more prevalent than we would like to think.

What is also becoming clear is that many young people don't seem to feel that there is anything wrong with cheating, whether or not they would do it themselves, or, at the very least, wouldn't be prepared to do anything about it if they knew about it.

I do believe that people will lose places in college, or be pipped to the post for their preferred course, because of this. I do believe that that is all sorts of wrong.

Thousands of people to lose their places in college, though? A bit OTT, no?

+1

Cheating is all over the place, but I don't thin k it's happening to enough of an extent to upset the apple tarts of getting into college.

But, by the very same token, I think a student who comes from a wealthy family has a greater level of leeway and can actually purchase grinds and curriculum material. Whilst my family aren't "poor", my mother is a public service employee and my father unemployed and I have had the dis-pleasure of working during the leaving cert on exploitative wages.

I agree with what randylonghorn said but this thread raises many more questions and challenges than it does answers....

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

If your cheating to get through the leaving cert your prob not going to go for a tough course. So for those who get in the 300s you might lose a place. So you either should have studyed more or cheater more.

If every person who cheats does get into college, that means they're taking a place that would otherwise be given to another student.
    Firstly, not everyone who cheats will get into college.

Secondly, some who cheat would have gotten into college anyway, they will just do that little bit better and get a higher option on their CAO, thus pushing a more deserving candidate into a lower option on theirs.

Thirdly, some who cheat won't actually do any better anyway, they just think they will.
    If 100 Cheaters get into college, 100 students miss out on a place.
    Indeed. I'm not disagreeing with your basic logic, more with your hyperbole in the post above.
    You're right I actually meant 100's not 1000's
    Ah ... ninja edit noted! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnlynch95

We have a superintendent past her time, no advantage is taken of that even at junior cert level. Cheating in a exam of that size?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Hatred wrote: »
    If your cheating to get through the leaving cert your prob not going to go for a tough course. So for those who get in the 300s you might lose a place. So you either should have studyed more or cheater more.

Things like this in this thread are starting to annoy me. "It's only low point courses so who cares". My first preference in 330 points at present. At the moment I'm not sure if I can get that. Could I have worked harder during the year? Sure, but I'm trying now, and just because my course, like many other, is slighty lower points, I don't want cheaters stealing my place either.

I agree with what randylonghorn said but this thread raises many more questions and challenges than it does answers....
    Absolutely.

Given that logic suggests that it is being monitored closely by the SEC and probably at this stage by the Department, let us hope that some of those questions and challenges (and not just around the conduct of the exams themselves) are taken on board and noted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cxh20y

Suppose there isn't much that we can do about these "people". Let them cheat away, I'm a firm believer what comes around goes back around. They'll pay later in life, don't get me wrong they're completely wrong and it really is horrible, they're cheating in the exam, cheating people of college places that they've actually worked for. Cheaters in every sense of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Filby

I acknowledge the fact that there will always be people cheating in exams. It's a fact of life in the competitive society we live in. What makes me sick to my stomach is the fact that not one individual who has admitted to cheating has showed any sign of remorse. I think it's a complete disgrace that people can be so amoral and then actually feel proud of themselves. I sincerely hope these people get found out and have their papers cancelled, though I seriously doubt they will. In fact, I know they won't because the superintendents have done nothing but sit at the top of the exam hall drinking tea. Why can't these people actually try to stop people from cheating and actually earn the relatively large amoumts of money they're being payed. This is exactly why this country is in such a shambolic state of affairs, because people who look for an easy way out always seem to rise to the top. It's disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I believe stupid, illogical, small minded people such as yourself SHOULD be treated as sub par, as you clearly deserve it.

mr.bones wrote: »
    I cheated in Biology today. I looked at me willy in the bathroom to get the answers for the male reproductive question;)
    Hopefully you scaled any diagrams up a bit so that the examiner would be able to see them!

Try to scale up the value of your contributions from now on as well!
    ChiefBrody wrote: »
    Better hope they don't deduct marks for unrealistic proportions. With your big massive balls.:D
    Don't encourage him ffs!

And I won't even ask how you are so intimately acquainted with the articles in question!!

Edit: Aaaaand, as some people don't know how to give it a rest, certain posts moved to the Cuckoo's Nest!
    I believe stupid, illogical, small minded people such as yourself SHOULD be treated as sub par, as you clearly deserve it.
    Tone it down a few notches, lad.
    Filby wrote: »
    What makes me sick to my stomach is the fact that not one individual who has admitted to cheating has showed any sign of remorse.
    Don't assume that everyone who has admitted to cheating on this thread actually has.

Some people just like to troll internet forums, i.e. come on and wind people up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Doesn't anyone else think it's quite ironic that due to the fact the girl reported the cheaters in an effort to improve her own position,she has now gotten herself into the centre of a nationwide scandal.If I was that girl I would be worried.I know if I snitched ther'd be a few undesirables trying to track me down.I think the news have made a crucial mistake in letting it slip that she lives in Carlow.It's quite funny that because she snitched she's probably going to do worse in the leaving cert because of all the extra stress she's put herself under.I know I wouldn't be able to study with the constant worry of being found out.Bad buzz on her.But like I always said,just keep your head down and don't mess with anyone elses business and you'll be fine.Now that she has caused such an issue karma will undoubtably catch up to her.
    It's not like she's the only student in Carlow. :rolleyes: There are many, many exam centres in Carlow, there's not enough to identify her - and if she's got any brains she won't reveal any more information. I think the fact people were cheating put more stress on her, this is a relief if anything, that there is finally action being taken.

Karma? You've been watching too much Scrubs. Doing good things are rewarded, if fighting for fairness in the Leaving Cert is a bad thing in your eyes, your values are all messed up.

By the way - this thread has turned into a bit of a troll's dream tbh. I think it's time to wrap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 EnoughIsEnough

... for all those who say don't report the cheats.

If we take this to its logical conclusion then we should not report law breakers to the police. What a "wonderful" country we would have where might is right and gangsters rule ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

... for all those who say don't report the cheats.

If we take this to its logical conclusion then we should not report law breakers to the police. What a "wonderful" country we would have where might is right and gangsters rule ok.

Last time I checked cheating in the leaving cert wasn't a criminal offence.
    And those cheaters also weren't drug dealers or murderers or anything like that.
    They're mostly just kids who are scared out of their minds that they left it all too late and won't get into college.
    And sure theres a few kids who are just scumbags but maybe if they're cheating you out of a college course you shouldn't be there anyway.

There seems to be a whole lot of people riding around on moral high horses here. You could argue that getting grinds is cheating or getting help with projects during the year. You're getting help from an outside source that others aren't afforded aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Emmpty wrote: »
    And those cheaters also weren't drug dealers or murderers or anything like that.
    They're mostly just kids who are scared out of their minds that they left it all too late and won't get into college.
    And sure theres a few kids who are just scumbags but maybe if they're cheating you out of a college course you shouldn't be there anyway.

There seems to be a whole lot of people riding around on moral high horses here. You could argue that getting grinds is cheating or getting help with projects during the year. You're getting help from an outside source that others aren't afforded aren't you?
    WHAT?!
    How does that make ANY sense? :confused:
    You'll also have to define criminal offence. While you won't be put in prison, you will be banned from taking a State exam for years and have it permanently hanging over your head on record

And, that last sentence seems completely illogical to me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 EnoughIsEnough

Emmpty wrote: »
    And those cheaters also weren't drug dealers or murderers or anything like that. ?

I never said cheating in the L.C. was a criminal offence BUT if we all adopt a "me fein" / "live and let live" attitude attitude then later in life why should todays L.C. students report welfare cheats , people making false insurance claims etc etc. Maybe this explains why we as a nation are in such a mess with thinking like this going to the top in the realms of Politics, the Church etc.

Does the next generation want more corruption ?

I say report the cheats before they rise to positions of power

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

Healium wrote: »
    WHAT?!
    How does that make ANY sense? :confused:
    You'll also have to define criminal offence. While you won't be put in prison, you will be banned from taking a State exam for years and have it permanently hanging over your head on record

And, that last sentence seems completely illogical to me :confused:

Comparing someone who had a quick glance at some notes in a toilet cubical to a criminal seems completely illogical to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 wellboss.

Hmm not the attitude one would expect from a moral preacher

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement