Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

No, I don't think you get the point. The possibility of someone robbing you of a college place is next to zero. It's a silly sentiment that doesn't really justify ratting someone out.

Also, if someone does go out of their way to cheat, the chances are that they don't know the material as well as you, and thus, their answers will come out clunky and incoherent.

You're really missing the point.

For example, I'm thinking of some of my friends here who aren't the strongest in some subjects - they study night and day but they're not good at a subject but they try their best and get say, a B3. One of the cheaters is just pure lazy but has the ability to do well and knows how to use the material they've just spent 5 minutes in the toilet learning, or the past 10 minutes they've just spent copying the material from their cheat sheet to the official sheet. They've done no study all year but using the material they've learned in 5 minutes or copied down during the exam gets them a B2. Without using the material they've just learned they would have gotten say a C1.

Both apply for the same courses - the cheater gets the last place because they got those 5 extra points.

How is that fair when they didn't put effort in before the exam and just took the easy way out? Why should they be allowed to get away with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Oh Sheesh Yall Twas A Dream

fufureida wrote: »
    Someone I know for a fact is cheating. He went to the bathroom 4 times in one exam. And goes quite often in the rest. That could mean a difference of 20+ points. It could mean a B1 instead of a B3. He carries notes in the hood of his hoodie; I know this for a fact. Rational measure? Pffft ...*

I can't believe people are saying not to care. What is it with people not speaking out against wrongs? This decision of not telling could effect everyone in the end. And it's simple not fair! It's the leaving cert not shorty mock exams where no one cares. This can actually make a difference!

The reason I said he should tape it is because HOW will he prove it if he does tell?
    And when he gets caught cheating they will say they have a recording of you admitting to it, he will deny it and say that he was only messing.They don't have enough proof ... he will get away with ... he tells all your peers that you ratted him out and everyone will think that you are the one in the wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

<modsnip>
    Less of the name-calling, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 watevertrevor

Taping someone admitting to cheating won't hold up anyway. It's called entrapment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Im afraid to even think about cheating, imagine the look on your parents when you get an NG in everything! Those people are disgraceful...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Taping someone admitting to cheating won't hold up anyway. It's called entrapment.

No its not. You could just say tge record button accidently got pressed ( which sounds ridiculous but has happened to me before )
    Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. I don't care if he/she told my peers. He can lick my asre hole for all I care, and tge other lot.
    I really don't get you people. Oh, he's cheating; so what. Let's not do anything. A girl I know who cheated in 2007 got 525 points. She admitted to ms later she hid alot if notes in her bra.

I basically hate cheaters. Scum of the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

Its not fair. Why should they get the advantages when Im the one who's actually worked? Snitch sounds like theres some honour code about not telling on cheaters. Well *feck* them... Seeing as its poin ts that count, and these people are getting points theyve neither worked for or deserved, then tell!!! You should write an email to the SEC or something, and tell them the superintendents dont care. Theyll send new ones, like they did with the guy in the paper today who was using Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Even if the cheaters are only doing it for a C or D, there are other people out there who work their asses off to get that C or D. Cheaters can steal college places from high point scorers and low point scorers.

Twitter..? I didn't hear about this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

Hmm i was wondering about this too. reporting a lad in my centre who cheated. I just mght now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

i admit this is unfair but arent we past all this "watching ur classmates" crap? Look, its frankly non of your business. Yes, its unfair but u obviously have the capability to pass urself ! If not, wouldnt u be doing this urself? Why dont you stop watching other dishonest people and concentrate on yourself and your performance? Let them get caught out - sooner or later, they will :rolleyes:

EDIT : steal college places!!!! :O ***** !!

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    i admit this is unfair but arent we past all this "watching ur classmates" crap? Look, its frankly non of your business. Yes, its unfair but u obviously have the capability to pass urself ! If not, wouldnt u be doing this urself? Why dont you stop watching other dishonest people and concentrate on yourself and your performance? Let them get caught out - sooner or later, they will :rolleyes:

... This is so god damn stupid it's unreal. Who said we are watching people? Ffs...

Please don't call people stupid. - R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

You obviously haven't heard of Salman85 :p

forgot about that thread...what an ape :D

anyone got a link to it?? searched Salmans name but couldnt find him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

callaway92 wrote: »
    forgot about that thread...what an ape :D

anyone got a link to it?? searched Salmans name but couldnt find him

i think the thread comes up if u google search his name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Samskeyti wrote: »
    having a phone on their lap for an entire paper and reading saved messages from it.

Op must of saw them . . .
    And I didnt say ye or we

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

No its not. You could just say tge record button accidently got pressed ( which sounds ridiculous but has happened to me before )
    Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. I don't care if he/she told my peers. He can lick my asre hole for all I care, and tge other lot.
    I really don't get you people. Oh, he's cheating; so what. Let's not do anything. A girl I know who cheated in 2007 got 525 points. She admitted to ms later she hid alot if notes in her bra.

It would still prove nothing.

However, you yourself might have to answer some tricky questions about why you created the possibility of enabling a recording device while having a conversation with a peer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 watevertrevor

Trust me im not defending them. I just don't think taping is the best way to go about catching them. Report it to the SEC and to the superintendents. I'm a strong advocate of get these people chucked out of the exams alltogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Theres a lot of people pointing out the toilet break thing, just wondering, when the superintendent writes down when you went to and returned from the bathroom, what happens with this information? What is the point in them doing it? Would anyone take note if there were a 15min time gap and ask questions? I just don't get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Yeah the girl who sits beside me has notes in her pocket...but at the end of the day she doesnt have the book in there so she wont do outstandingly..Its annoying but they'll either be wrought with guilt or caught so..:rolleyes:

At the same time, if she even gets 5 or 10 points more than she should, she will sicken me and I'll never look at her the same... I'd feel so guilty, jesus!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Oh Sheesh Yall Twas A Dream

It continues: “The use of mobile phones, reading of newspapers, or books, writing letters, sewing, knitting or engaging in any occupation other than superintending/reading/scribing, during the examinations, is incompatible with the proper discharge of their duties.”

Is this the 1950's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 swabby

I did the leaving cert for the first time back in 2005 and noticed quiet a few people cheating during the exam, at the time, i was fairly pissed off at the time but said nothing. it turned out the people who were cheating managed to pass some of their pass exams but never went on to college (don't think it was ever part of their plan anyway), some of them even failed.

look, the people who are cheating are the same people who have done nothing all year and no matter how much they cheat, they will probably still fail. i guarantee you, even if they had the book on their lap, never mind a few saved draft messages, they would still not be able to construct an adequate essay, think about how long you spent writing notes all year.

You will see i am right!

it's up to you wheter or not you snitch on these people but i would suggest you don't, most of them are just under pressure and unable to study so they panic and decide to cheat. the others are doing it because they couldnt be arsed studying and these are the people who will still fail!

Snitching on these people is not worth the agro! just get on with your exam, i guarantee, you will get much higher marks than these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Messi 10

Just say nothing would be my advice. Just focus on your own exams. You have more chance of losing your college place because of spending all this time worrying about these cheaters than you do because of one of them actually out performing you and taking your place.

Also the few people cheating in your school aren't going to make any difference to the bell curve thing becuase there's so few of them in relation to the number of people in the country.

You will forever be remembered by your classmates as the person who ratted out the people from their year. They'll look upon you as a traitor. Now while it will obviously be the cheaters own fault for actually doing the cheating everyone will blame you and that's always how they'll remember you.

Do you want that?

If I was you I'd steady yourself up a bit and stop getting so worked up over it. Just relax. Live and let live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cleirigh06

Definitly tell them.
    The Leaving Cert is a competition amongst all the students of Ireland. It is a fact that only certain amount of students are even permitted to getting an A, etc. There is a certain percentage they are not allowed to exceed in giving specific grades. Their cheating can leave to your detriment.
    Think of it as one big competition. They can be an opportunist and cheat, but if they caught they should pay the price.
    Don't punish yourself by saving those who are ultimately punishing you when they become one of that percentage that get their desired grade

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

Personally I would inform someone if I were you. I don't care if it sounds snitchy. People cheating could lose you your place in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

If you can work out a way to mention to the teacher in your school who is the Exam Secretary or the Principal that cheating is going on and ask to remain anonymous... they could do something like have a word with the superintendent and make an announcement saying ''We know cheating is going on, just to remind you of the implications of your actions etc'' it would help stop people from continuing to cheat and they'd get their comeuppance by not doing that well in the rest, without turning you into ''the snitch'' they all hate. If that many people are cheating they're not going to all be reported, the school will try and protect the students... ultimately it's the superintendent's and exam attendant's fault, but be brave and speak up because it's not fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Is this the 1950's :D

People do still knit!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Messi 10 wrote: »
    You will forever be remembered by your classmates as the person who ratted out the people from their year. They'll look upon you as a traitor. Now while it will obviously be the cheaters own fault for actually doing the cheating everyone will blame you and that's always how they'll remember you.

Do you want that?

Who gives a fcuk what they think, they shouldnt be let away with cheating end of! Its unfair that me, who has studied my ass off lets be honest has to sit beside somebody who couldnt care less to study.

It doesnt matter whether they'll fail or not, its the principle of it all. If I learn my Stair off and get 25, I deserve the 25. If she writes it somewhere and copies it down and gets 13, its still 13 undeserved marks that so many people worked hard for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Don't be a snitch. Concentrate on your own performance in the exams.
    Yeah, I would agree with it to an extent...
    I know how your feeling. Sure it's happening in my school and it's not fair. If I were you go talk to these people who you are gonnna cheat and ask them if tge cheated and if they will continue to cheat. Tape the entire conversation. Then inform the super intendant but do so anonymously you don't want people to find out you told... Good luck.
    Uhhhh, you're not doing yourself any favours. Srsly...
    Also, They could also be cheating someone else out of a fair, deserved college spot.

So yes, at the end of the day, it affects everyone else. Report the ***** and I hope every single one is banned from state exams.
    I really don't think that a competent exam student will be cheating. Usually students who cheat are trying to get over the line. And if you need cheats to do well in your Leaving, you're not going well in your course by any means...
    Samskeyti wrote: »
    So I shouldn't be a "snitch", I should just let people who do **** all work during school then do great in the most important exam of our lives get away with it? Why do people see it as snitching? Everyone needs to grow a pair and stamp out low lives like these, not just let them on with cheating and thinking they don't count when it comes to playing by the rules. So with all do respect I don't believe you calling me a snitch is helpful, ta.

Concentrating on my own exams is good advice but it's very difficult when this issue is such an annoyance.
    Then report it. But don't sacrifice your reputation in the mean time, and think of the consequences.

Also, as far as I'm aware toilets and facilities in use by SEC are supposed to be checked every 30 minutes and locked before and after each exam.
    If someone goes to the effort of orchestrating an attempt at cheating, I'd say let them get away with it.

"Really Now? But what about morals and justice?"

One must ask themselves why they are going to snitch on someone : Is it for self-satisfaction? Some skewed self-righteous ideal? The possibility that they did better than you?

I'd put my money on it that it's one of the above, and of course, neither of those things are very moral.

However. If you're mortal enemies with someone you suspect is a cheater, I wouldn't even blink at the opportunity of ratting them out.
    You shouldn't just be reporting students and destroying their future opportunities based on your hatred for a small number of them or your hatred for your school.
    itac wrote: »
    Samskeyti, firstly delete all your private info off your profile on here-I now know who you are and what school you're talking about!

Imo, you've a few choices now that you've made this public....

1) Send a link to this page to several newspapers, maybe dropping another hint or few as to where the school is, and then let nature run it's course...they may pick up on it any way, remember last year's fiasco!

2) If you think talking to the supervisors will work, try it. But remember, you're basically going to be telling them they're crap at what they're doing. If they bring it to the attention of the SEC, it could end up with them being fired, so tis doubtful whether they'll report it.

3) Email the SEC yourself, (anonymously if you want) and let them know.

4) Keep the head down, say nowt and finish the exams hoping you never have to work/see the cheaters again.

It's a seriously sh** situation to find yourself in, don't envy you whatever you decide. Best of luck with your exams though, hope you get what you worked for, irrespective of those muppets.:)
    No. 1 and 4 are bad ideas in my opinion. As for No. 2 and 3, the OP should deal with it on the merits of the situation.

Bringing the media into this situation is stupid, and will destroy the already questionable integrity for the exam, let alone providing newspapers with a field day. I've had the media piss all over our school when my two friends died by suicide and it's not a nice thing to happen, and trying to find my house because they heard the rest of the lads' friends were mourning there. I wouldn't wish the media on my worst enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Just don't name names or point the finger. I would conveniently be the last one out of the exam hall and mention to the examiner you think there might be cheating going on. If they could walk around the room more cheating would soon become impossible or just too risky for the cheaters. I don't think any superintendent would be offended by that. They are after all, there to help. But don't snitch, don't name and shame. My 2 cents

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement