Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭needaname

Emmpty wrote: »
    Comparing someone who had a quick glance at some notes in a toilet cubical to a criminal seems completely illogical to me.

Some friends of mine cheated on exams in final year in college, they now have jobs, which some of us who didnt cheat don't have. They have jobs taking care of old and disabled people (which they may not have gotten if they did not cheat!) where they have no shame in boasting about robbing from the old and disabled people.... I'm sure the two are not completely separate issues as they both show lack of morals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 teleboy

Emmpty wrote: »
    Comparing someone who had a quick glance at some notes in a toilet cubical to a criminal seems completely illogical to me.

i think the point was,that at the age of 17 or 18,if you are willing to cheat in what is probably the most important exam of 59000 peoples lives then it could easily lead on will to criminal offences such as fraud etc.

especially if you can do it without remorse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

teleboy wrote: »
    i think the point was,that at the age of 17 or 18,if you are willing to cheat in what is probably the most important exam of 59000 peoples lives then it could easily lead on will to criminal offences such as fraud etc.

especially if you can do it without remorse!

No. I won't be taking the mickey out of the revenue because...

....I can and more than likely will get caught. Cheating by viewing notes that are shoved down your trousers will suit me because...

...they can't prove it. The SEC can't prove anything. It's a storm that will blow over in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

gant0 wrote: »
    Now that's just making mountains out of mole hills.Reporting a murder is morally just,you have reason to report them because they have killed someone.Now in this case the only reason the girl had for reporting them was to eliminate the chances of her loosing out a place to them in college,the chances of which are on the grand scale of things quite small.Now that just leaves us with the fact that she reported them on moral grounds.If that is true what do you think is more morlaly correct.To make yourself feel like you've done something positive or to ruin someones life?clearly the answer is easy if you have any decency in you.And NO I'm not trollling,I'm just expessing my personnal opinion.

people who are CHEATING are doing so to get ahead of honest people who pass their exams with flying colours, they both do the same thing to get the place in college...so you back up the dishonest one?grow up and leave the bloody OP alone, she has morals and deserves the course she wants even more now. i salute her, i could slap you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

i cant understand why batherooms etc arent checked for hidden books,notes...?
    also what people write on their legs (or whatever they use to cheat)to help them? take for business for eg.. say a person doesnt know the functions of the european commission the day before or something alond that lines and they write it on their legs? what if it doesnt come up in the exam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Look yeah I'm not reporting anyone simple as. It was the departments job to make sure it didn't happen. I don't wanna be chasing people wo cheated.

Yes I feel people who cheated should be reported but the guy who cheated... I won't mention specifics but his father was murdered this year and he didn't come into school for 4 months. I would feel sickened to get him into trouble. I'm quite close with him too as a friend and was sickened that he cheated and yeah I felt like I should say something but... I just can't.

Is this bad? I feel hypocritical... Just... Ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Mick Daly wrote: »

....I can and more than likely will get caught. Cheating by viewing notes that are shoved down your trousers will suit me because...

...they can't prove it. The SEC can't prove anything. It's a storm that will blow over in a few weeks.

Hmm... so you're back to saying you're cheating again now?
    :rolleyes:

I think we have a very persistent troll!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Mick Daly wrote: »

It's not like you have anything else down your trousers anyway. You're not doing yourself any favours by saying that you cheated, but you are creating a reaction.

Well done. You'll go far. I've got that feeling about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭starry nights

It's not like you have anything else down your trousers anyway. You're not doing yourself any favours by saying that you cheated, but you are creating a reaction.

Well done. You'll go far. I've got that feeling about you.

Anyone who's cheating deserves to fail their entire LC.
    they're ruining the honest peoples chances of getting into their much wanted course.

But ya know what? They're obviously so thick that they can't just study it themselves and will probably do **** in college cos if they're not able to sit the LC without cheating.... then they're screwed for the oral and written exams in college.
    plus im a firm believer in what goes around comes around.

Hope Karma bites those liars in the arse!!

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mr Web

How do I reach these kidzzzz

A couple of years ago I finished a H.Deg in a well known south-east college and for the entire 4 years there was one particular class mate who I was simply shocked at the brazen level of cheating, mostly with mobile phone, quite clearly texting, so I imagined an acomplice at the other end vigourously looking over notes for replies. I mean I'm talking 8 - 10 -12 phone events, EVERY exam, practice, class and state.

In one exam I remember this person forgot to mute the phone, and sat at the top of the room - right infornt of the inspectors - BEEP BEEP, BEEP BEEP... 2 minutes later followed by BEEP BEEP - BEEP BEEP

I believe this person is now in the process of becoming a teacher...

How do I reach theeeeeeese kiiiiiiddddddz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sarahisconfused

Ya so there are people cheating in the Leaving Cert in my school too. It makes me die inside. Every time i see some one leave to go to the bathroom im so filled with emotion i cant concentrate on my exam. I often time them and when they go over 7minutes i just burst into tears. Sometimes when i notice somebody spending an unnecessary amount of time looking into their pencil case, or i see the outline of mobile phone in their pocket i break out in a cold sweat. These people are so brazenly ruining my future. Then, i go home and cry some more, especially when i study because i know its pointless because of these morally corrupt louts. Usually i give up and go to bed but i'm just so traumatised by the extent of their wrongdoing i cry into my pillow for hours. When i finally manage to get to sleep i am tormented by night terrors where i am attacked by giant cheat notes until i die from loss of blood from extensive paper cuts. The worst part is, is that the invigilator stands there and watches me die. It so appropriate to the situation that so many of us our finding ourselves in.
    WAAAH WAAAH WAAAH
    why is life so hard? WHHHY?? Why do people cheat WHHHYYYY?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ah yer all eejits. CHEATING! SOMEONE INFORM THE CHURCH ELDERS! :O :O
    Ya so there are people cheating in the Leaving Cert in my school too. It makes me die inside. Every time i see some one leave to go to the bathroom im so filled with emotion i cant concentrate on my exam. I often time them and when they go over 7minutes i just burst into tears. Sometimes when i notice somebody spending an unnecessary amount of time looking into their pencil case, or i see the outline of mobile phone in their pocket i break out in a cold sweat. These people are so brazenly ruining my future. Then, i go home and cry some more, especially when i study because i know its pointless because of these morally corrupt louts. Usually i give up and go to bed but i'm just so traumatised by the extent of their wrongdoing i cry into my pillow for hours. When i finally manage to get to sleep i am tormented by night terrors where i am attacked by giant cheat notes until i die from loss of blood from extensive paper cuts. The worst part is, is that the invigilator stands there and watches me die. It so appropriate to the situation that so many of us our finding ourselves in.
    WAAAH WAAAH WAAAH
    Ok, I ignored your first trolly post, but given the trauma that this thread has now plunged you into, I think it best that you should distance yourself from it, and indeed from the forum, for the next week!

WAAAH WAAAH WAAAH

@sarahisconfused, Iamconfused!!!:confused:

Ok, please forgive me if I am wrong, but that was sarcasm right?? :confused:

(it's sometimes hard to tell a tone to something that you're reading, and nothing would surprise me)

Edit: just saw randylonghorns post, I guess it was sarcasm. It would have been very extreme if it were true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

Hmm... so you're back to saying you're cheating again now?

Don't think I said that. That's what you think I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Are people 100% certain that when they see other people going into the bathroom during an exam they are cheating? I'm going to assume that they are because they would need to be quite certain if they were going to accuse someone of doing so on a thread that the State Examinations Commission is actually looking at right now after pledging to investigate the claims of the OP. (Note: This is not a generalised question directed @ saraisconfused)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Are people 100% certain that when they see other people going into the bathroom during an exam they are cheating? I'm going to assume that they are because they would need to be quite certain if they were going to accuse someone of doing so on a thread that the State Examinations Commission is actually looking at right now after pledging to investigate the claims of the OP.

I've went to the bathroom twice, would never cheat though. Anyway, there's not much you can learn in 2mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Are people 100% certain that when they see other people going into the bathroom during an exam they are cheating? I'm going to assume that they are because they would need to be quite certain if they were going to accuse someone of doing so on a thread that the State Examinations Commission is actually looking at right now after pledging to investigate the claims of the OP. (Note: This is not a generalised question directed @ saraisconfused)
    Indeed I go nearly every exam. Just for the walk most of the time during the lengtheir exams where time isn't much of an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

........hmm...........you guys do know that accusing somone of cheating is un-lawful slander and could get you arrested and sued..........im also guessing its bad enough to be reported.......i dunno about you but id rather be cursed at then be called a cheat.......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Man,that is simply just not true,maybe it worked for you,but you will find for a lot of people,the leaving cert is extremely important,even if you didnt need it,and honest people get quite far too,often further than cheaters

How old are you?

I make great money as an unskilled labourer here in Australia 6 years after leaving school. Anyone in my class who listened to mammy and did a sh1te college course for 4 years is likely on the dole back home. If theres one thing I learned, never listen to your mam :) My only regret is having wasted 2 years in a business course and getting a good paying but psychogically damaging office job back home, rather than dropping out at 16 and getting a trade.

Ive cheated and scammed (not stole EVER. Just took advantage of employer or govermental incompetance) and being here in paradise (Sydney) probably have a better life than any of the ratbags moaning about LC cheating.

Anyway, in a nutshell, scamming the system is part and parcel of Irish culture. If you dont like it, move to Germany and do your exams there FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

How old are you?

I make great money as an unskilled labourer here in Australia 6 years after leaving school. Anyone in my class who listened to mammy and did a sh1te college course for 4 years is likely on the dole back home. If theres one thing I learned, never listen to your mam :) My only regret is having wasted 2 years in a business course and getting a good paying but psychogically damaging office job back home, rather than dropping out at 16 and getting a trade.

Ive cheated and scammed (not stole EVER. Just took advantage of employer or govermental incompetance) and being here in paradise (Sydney) probably have a better life than any of the ratbags moaning about LC cheating.

Anyway, in a nutshell, scamming the system is part and parcel of Irish culture. If you dont like it, move to Germany and do your exams there FFS.

Ahh, but are you happy?

• Advertisement

denballs wrote: »
    ........hmm...........you guys do know that accusing somone of cheating is un-lawful slander and could get you arrested and sued..........im also guessing its bad enough to be reported.......i dunno about you but id rather be cursed at then be called a cheat.......:mad:

She never stated a name of the person.
    scamming the system is part and parcel of Irish culture.

That is one of the biggest reasons why I am going to be leaving the country and never coming back as soon as possible.
    Thanks for confirming that I've made the right decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

She never stated a name of the person.

That is one of the biggest reasons why I am going to be leaving the country and never coming back as soon as possible.
    Thanks for confirming that I've made the right decision!
    This.

I'm coming back for holidays though, to see my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

yet another article in the paper about this thread.

The Review in the independent that is.

I find these articles annoyingly condescending about the 'youth of today'.

it is not like any of the arguments people are having here are making any progress. Cheating is 'wrong'. Everyone knows that, but everyone also knows that people are always going to justify their own actions and fighting at a computer screen isn't going to change such justifications unfortunately.

This thread seems to be fraying alot of tempers. This argument and that of the Irish language being redundant shall return periodically for many years to come.

How old are you?

Anyone in my class who listened to mammy and did a sh1te college course for 4 years is likely on the dole back home. If theres one thing I learned, never listen to your mam :)

WOW

Now there is well thought out comment :rolleyes:

People who went to college are on the doll and never listen to your mam,

OK,its clearly been a while since you have been in Ireland so I'm willing to give you some free info on my country! :D ,over here,it's the people that dropped out to do a trade that are on the doll and the people that have any chance of surviving this recession are the people that have degrees in arts,media,science etc. and it's looking like its going to be like that for a good while,and aswell the CAO has recieved a record number of applicants this year(I think about 70000) placing more stress on students to get a place on getting a place,making it extra frustrating when people cheat

and somebody clearly has underlying issues with their mam (probably why someone would move to the other part of the world)

and a little update for yourself

scamming is stealing :eek: ... I know,I was shocked too when I heard

and while I'm sure that everybody on this fourm is cares very much and is very happy about your life in Austrailia :rolleyes:.... I will reitierate my point

Just because cheating works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone so please try and think of it from our point of view in you next comment

and I'm 18 :) ... and not a ratbag,just here to discuss the issue,see what is being done about it and not to name names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

WOW

Now there is well thought out comment :rolleyes:

People who went to college are on the doll and never listen to your mam,

OK,its clearly been a while since you have been in Ireland so I'm willing to give you some free info on my country! :D ,over here,it's the people that dropped out to do a trade that are on the doll and the people that have any chance of surviving this recession are the people that have degrees in arts,media,science etc. and it's looking like its going to be like that for a good while,and aswell the CAO has recieved a record number of applicants this year(I think about 70000) placing more stress on students to get a place on getting a place,making it extra frustrating when people cheat

and somebody clearly has underlying issues with their mam (probably why someone would move to the other part of the world)

and a little update for yourself

scamming is stealing :eek: ... I know,I was shocked too when I heard

and while I'm sure that everybody on this fourm is cares very much and is very happy about your life in Austrailia :rolleyes:.... I will reitierate my point

Just because cheating works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone so please try and think of it from our point of view in you next comment

and I'm 18 :) ... and not a ratbag,just here to discuss the issue,see what is being done about it and not to name names :)

:eek: do you actually know any information about the post degree employment or the employment that will be available when we get our degrees? (finished lc thursday, 18 )

i very much hope you don't think that all degrees are equal or that they are all so great,
    because prepare to be disappointed if that is your foolish thought.

pS: if you're going to be condescending to another poster do it right. fair play to the guy for getting out of here

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

How old are you?

Well haven't you just got the perfect life.:rolleyes:

You should NEVER attack anyone for having a desire to further their education. Yes the're some very serious economic problems here and some highly skilled professionals on the dole here at the minute but we'll come through it and sure there's nothing stopping highly educated people from packing their bags and moving to "paradise".

You should not criticize us "ratbags" for having a bit of dignity and trying to stand up for what is right. It is people who just accept what is happening, despite if its unfair or wrong, and tell us to get on with it, that have us in this mess today.

Don't slate people for having a bit of ambition and trying to change whats wrong in this world.

Anyone who's cheating deserves to fail their entire LC.
    they're ruining the honest peoples chances of getting into their much wanted course.

But ya know what? They're obviously so thick that they can't just study it themselves and will probably do **** in college cos if they're not able to sit the LC without cheating.... then they're screwed for the oral and written exams in college.
    plus im a firm believer in what goes around comes around.

Hope Karma bites those liars in the arse!!

actually, many people who tend to cheat are actually smart, clever enough not to get caught, clever enough to know what they might need, they're just lazy, absolute spanners (first unblocked word that came to mind)and they deserve sweet F.A as results,
    but smart people, lazy lazy people..

metalfest wrote: »
    :eek: do you actually know any information about the post degree employment or the employment that will be available when we get our degrees? (finished lc thursday, 18 )

i very much hope you don't think that all degrees are equal or that they are all so great,
    because prepare to be disappointed if that is your foolish thought.

pS: if you're going to be condescending to another poster do it right. fair play to the guy for getting out of here

Of course I konw about the different degrees and jobs (we have spent two years researching:D)

and believe me,my thoughts and preferences on the CAO are far from foolish,their based on what I like and statistics that show which courses give jobs and which don't

not being condescending,just picking up on what stuck out in the quote;)

and best of luck on thursday! :)

Of course I konw about the different degrees and jobs (we have spent two years researching:D)

and believe me,my thoughts and preferences on the CAO are far from foolish,their based on what I like and statistics that show which courses give jobs and which don't

not being condescending,just picking up on what stuck out in the quote;)

and best of luck on thursday! :)

i meant being condescending to the unskilled laborer in oZ

cheers

Father Damo what are you doing on a lc site

• Advertisement

metalfest wrote: »
    i meant being condescending to the unskilled laborer in oZ

Once again, I wasn't trying to be condescending just picking up on what stuck out in his comment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement