Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resittng leaving cert-options

• 12-06-2010 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I would like to resit the entire leaving cert again so I can get very high points and apply for either medicine or dentistry but I have a few questions.

1.Is it possible to to study 6 leaving cert subjects at hons level and stay in your current job?

2.If I wanted to apply for one a major university qualification like Law,medicine,dentistry etc are there compulsory subjects I must do for the leaving cert?

3.If I get very high points 550+ am I at an even footing with school leavers who get the same or will they get first preference?(I have already been to college before)

4.Whats Kilroys home study course like for what Im trying to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 A.E

I would like to resit the entire leaving cert again so I can get very high points and apply for either medicine or dentistry but I have a few questions.

1.Is it possible to to study 6 leaving cert subjects at hons level and stay in your current job?

2.If I wanted to apply for one a major university qualification like Law,medicine,dentistry etc are there compulsory subjects I must do for the leaving cert?
    ?

Personally speaking I would say it's do-able to stay in your current job but if you require the points you say you need then I reckon you would have to devote ALOT of your spare time to these 6 subjects

As far as I'm aware, the major uni's require a foreign language but I'm open to correction. Qualifax.ie is your best place for finding out info like that. With regards to medicine you must have 1 laboratory subject but it would be beneficial to have 2, my recommendations are biology and chemistry. HTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Trinity don't require a foreign language if you've got Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 What to do with my life?!

Hey showmetheway......i'm in the same boat as u....i'm gong back to repeat my leaving cert too for hight points after already being to college...going to be a weird transition!
    I think with med and dent u require a min HC3 in Chem and one other lab subject..................but really would need to confirm this...if u go to all the college websites n look at their prospectus n go to ur course of intereset than all the subject requirements will be there. I have no idea about law sorry. Also i think all the NUI colleges still require a foreign language too.
    I plan on working through this leaving cert too...only part time like fri sat and sun so it will be a long year with no breaks but will be so worth if get course of interest!

Also aswell i think if u are entering via the CAO witht the points system everybody is on a level footing....if u were doing graduate route entry or mature student that changes everything! :)

What subjects are you considering for the leaving cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭showmetheway

Hi All

I thought I would have to do english ,irish and maths again if I dont the subjects I would study would be

maths
    applied maths
    biology
    chemistry
    business
    ag science

Also if I got 600 points would I be on a level footing with school leavers or would they get preference since ive been to college already?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

It would be very difficult and tiring, depending on how much time you spend in work, and how much time you'll spend studying. To each their own though, it really depends on you.
    For medicine, you need to do the 3 core subjects (english, irish, maths). Different colleges require different subjects. For some you need a third language and 1 or 2 science subjects in addition to the core subjects.

If you are not going for medicine though, and you have already done your leaving cert before and passed your core subjects, then you dont have to repeat them if you dont want to. You cant use your past results for points though, only grade requirements

You can find out whats needed for each subject here: http://www.qualifax.ie/
    Just go into 'Search all courses' and look it up.
    3.If I get very high points 550+ am I at an even footing with school leavers who get the same or will they get first preference?(I have already been to college before)

Yes you will be treated the same as all other students doing the leaving cert. Top points, no matter who you are, get in.
    4.Whats Kilroys home study course like for what Im trying to do?
    No idea, sorry!
    If it helps though I repeated on my own at home this year for medicine, and it wasnt too bad. As long as you dont percrastonate, and actually sit down to study it isnt too hard. Once you have the informations its just a matter of practice, practice, practice!

Good luck with it, hope it all turns out well for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 What to do with my life?!

Show me the way CAO everbody is on a level playing ground so it will be fair! :)

Good subjects...i'm donig bio, chem, physics, buis, geo n ag sc! U know there are practicals n lab books...i only found that out for geo n ag sc lately!!

Advertisement