Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids walking the wall

Options
  • 12-06-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭

Sorry to start a new thread i thought there was one before but couldnt find it.

Anyone else fed up with the kids walking the walls? Challenged some kids last Sunday and an 11 year old started to give me mouth, which was nice. Thankfully my wife shoed me in before i lost it. Apparently my neighbour saw older kids mid week at 11.30pm walking the wall again. Not sure what to do cos i dont want to end up with grief from mouthy lil bleep bleep bleep kids or the victim of burglary. 11.30 at night is more than kids just cutting through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

which wall are you talking about. You are right about not challenging them at your house though, you'll probably end up regretting it. Is it a public wall or private, could you slap on some grease or paint or similar. Are they trespassing on private property

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

dr ro wrote: »
    which wall are you talking about. You are right about not challenging them at your house though, you'll probably end up regretting it. Is it a public wall or private, could you slap on some grease or paint or similar. Are they trespassing on private property

V big drop at the top mate, don't want to explain that to the gards after greasing :)

I know kids are having a giggle, we all did it. But not getting taking mouth of some 11 year old again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 King_Carlos

ciaran67 wrote: »
    V big drop at the top mate, don't want to explain that to the gards after greasing :)

I know kids are having a giggle, we all did it. But not getting taking mouth of some 11 year old again.

A bucket of cold water over them should do it. Anyone asks sure you were only washing your wall and did not see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

dr ro wrote: »

An extremely bad suggestion, some kid will get seriously injured with that kind of thinking.

Ever climb trees or walls when you were a kid OP? Are they causing you any trouble other than walking on the wall? What wall is it by the way? Are they invading your privacy? How did you approach the kids? I doubt the kids gave you lip for nothing. Were you aggressive or confrontational? Are they from the area?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 transport

Best to ignore it and they'll get bored and will go elsewhere...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

What wall is it Ciaran? And are all the kids 11 or is that the youngest one? That's dangerous. If it was me I'd tell them to get their sorry ass*s off my wall or I'd tell their parents. I would hope someone would say that to my son if he climbed their wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

I doubt the kids gave you lip for nothing.

Kids give lip for everything and anything these days... Gone are the days when they had manners...
    Knock the wax out of his ear... It'll be good enough for him..

Oh and let me know if they gang up on you.... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

what wall?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Kids give lip for everything and anything these days... Gone are the days when they had manners...

Haha WW. Im going to pop on my 1989 Millwall shirt, that should do it.

He was the youngest by far, most of them were mid teens... and believe me WW if it hadnt been for my wife i would giving him a right shoeing. He heard my accent and thats what started him off.

The wall runs along the south end of Charlesland. Theres a large drop in my garden.

Xavier... have a trolling day off eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

We had the same problem. Once you've given them attention they love it. They'll have you tormented.

Our corporation tried the anti-climb paint and it was no bother to these kids, so eventually they capped the walls - it worked. Yaay!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Give an 11 year old a shoeing? Cop on to yourself.

Act all sound and cool to them and they will soon make a effort to not annoy you.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Re telling their parents, it could be quite tough to get a hold of them. Are the kids local? If the kids are from across the stream then I wouldn't bother.

How about taking pictures of them (is this allowed, I guess so). Don't tell them what it is for but make it obvious that you are taking their pictures. They will start guessing why you are doing this and it might put them off doing it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

FirstIn wrote: »
    Are the kids local? If the kids are from across the stream then I wouldn't bother.

?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Ok well if they're teenagers, there's no point in threatening to tell their parents, that won't work! Was trying to think what would have worked on me if I was a teenager - maybe you and your family could just stand in the garden and smile like lunatics, then the kids will just think you're really weird and want to leave.

CHD wrote: »
    Give an 11 year old a shoeing? Cop on to yourself.

Act all sound and cool to them and they will soon make a effort to not annoy you.

I was joking ffs. Actually just saw him driving along and hes about 14-15 tbh. Anyway i'll sort it if they appear again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you could attach something to the top of the wall to make it more awkward to walk along - you can buy spikes to discourage pigeons from nesting on your roof, or even a piece of wood or trellis. Not to make them fall off, but to stop them from attempting it in the first place.

WTF? I asked a few questions, which you ignored for some reason. How do you equate that to trolling? Easier to give an answer when you know the details. Either way, you should know by now where the report button is. Trolling...? :rolleyes:

Did you come out and say "Hey guys, if you don't mind could you get off my wall >insert excuse here<" and then they started giving you lip? Did they get aggressive or were they just acting the mick?

Don't forget ye were kids once too you know.

If you were confrontational, don't expect respect. If you were aggressive? Expect same. If they are from the area, it may be easier to deal with by going to their parents house and dealing with it in a civilised manner. If they are not causing you any trouble other than walking on your wall, then it might be easier to deal with too. IF they are invading your privacy then you can go to the Gardai about it, if it's that much trouble.

Suggesting to physically harm them, grease the walls or anything else is not the right way to deal with children, regardless of what you think. Go down that road and expect a lot more trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

WTF? I asked a few questions, which you ignored for some reason. How do you equate that to trolling? Easier to give an answer when you know the details. Either way, you should know by now where the report button is. Trolling...? :rolleyes:

Did you come out and say "Hey guys, if you don't mind could you get off my wall >insert excuse here<" and then they started giving you lip? Did they get aggressive or were they just acting the mick?

Don't forget ye were kids once too you know.

If you were confrontational, don't expect respect. If you were aggressive? Expect same. If they are from the area, it may be easier to deal with by going to their parents house and dealing with it in a civilised manner. If they are not causing you any trouble other than walking on your wall, then it might be easier to deal with too. IF they are invading your privacy then you can go to the Gardai about it, if it's that much trouble.

Suggesting to physically harm them, grease the walls or anything else is not the right way to deal with children, regardless of what you think. Go down that road and expect a lot more trouble.

Get real kids these days have no manners (worse again neither do their parents 11 year olds out at 11.30pm at night I don't think so!) grease the wall he will have a long hard think before he gets on it again..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

get a life!! kids will be kids!

11 year olds have no place being out at 11.30pm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

ciaran67 wrote: »
    I was joking ffs. Actually just saw him driving along and hes about 14-15 tbh. Anyway i'll sort it if they appear again.
    Cool, but the best way to deal with these people is be nice to them. They dunno what to do then and will avoid doing things that annoy you.

bryaner wrote: »
    Get real kids these days have no manners (worse again neither do their parents 11 year olds out at 11.30pm at night I don't think so!) grease the wall he will have a long hard think before he gets on it again..
    11 year olds have no place being out at 11.30pm

Maybe you should read the OP again? Properly this time.
    Apparently my neighbour saw older kids mid week at 11.30pm walking the wall again.

Where exactly does it say in the OP that an 11 year old kid was out at 11:30pm? It doesn't, you are making assumptions.

Grease the wall and expect a court case, it's a sensless and wreckless action to take. Kids climb walls, trees and other things. If you don't want them on your wall talk to them in a civilised manner, don't assume they are going to be cheeky. If you don't treat them with some respect then expect to get lip. They are people too, with personalities. Be nice to them and it should be fine, they also have a certain amount of understanding. Being abusive towards them won't get you anywhere.

Maybe you should read the OP again? Properly this time.

Where exactly does it say in the OP that an 11 year old kid was out at 11:30pm? It doesn't, you are making assumptions.

Grease the wall and expect a court case, it's a sensless and wreckless action to take. Kids climb walls, trees and other things. If you don't want them on your wall talk to them in a civilised manner, don't assume they are going to be cheeky. If you don't treat them with some respect then expect to get lip. They are people too, with personalities. Be nice to them and it should be fine, they also have a certain amount of understanding. Being abusive towards them won't get you anywhere.

Fcuk the little cheeky pricks I'd just get me mates to sort them while
    I looked out the window no court case job done.

Fcuk the little cheeky pricks I'd just get me mates to sort them while
    I looked out the window no court case job done.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What more can I say. Keyboard warriors are quite laughable, especially when they threaten 11 year old children.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What more can I say. Keyboard warriors are quite laughable, especially when they threaten 11 year old children.

No I just don't roll over for ASB end off, you feel free to let yours roam the
    streets like feral cats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Cement some glass onto the wall, buy an Alsatian, sorted.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Cement some glass onto the wall, buy an Alsatian, sorted.

Correcto

No I just don't roll over for ASB end off, you feel free to let yours roam the
    streets like feral cats!

What's ASB? Nobody is asking anybody to roll over for anything. You have your kids on a leash do you?

MUSSOLINI, wrong, prepare yourself for some legal action if you want to travel down that road ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

What's ASB? Nobody is asking anybody to roll over for anything. You have your kids on a leash do you?

MUSSOLINI, wrong, prepare yourself for some legal action if you want to travel down that road ;)
    Ok, might as well go the whole hog then, buy a shotgun. Sorted.

An Alsatian would work wonders though.

• Advertisement

Bugger off back to your civil liberties do gooder buddies

If you don't know what ASB is well that sums it up!

And I didn't see anyone putting glass on the wall.

As for the kids their just thought to have respect and manners.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement