Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids walking the wall

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Seriously, I never had any inclination to do any stuff like that or bother my neighbors. Worst thing I did was smash a window with my football. then went and measured the pane, got one cut and replaced it. I doubt many lads would do that. Kids have no respect at all. Its a reflection on the parents and the cotton glove attitudes in schools were students can through chairs at teachers and only get suspended for a day. Its a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Seriously, I never had any inclination to do any stuff like that or bother my neighbors. Worst thing I did was smash a window with my football. then went and measured the pane, got one cut and replaced it. I doubt many lads would do that. Kids have no respect at all. Its a reflection on the parents and the cotton glove attitudes in schools were students can through chairs at teachers and only get suspended for a day. Its a joke.

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

maybe some people here don't realize that you can't reason with the moronic pack mentality of some groups of kids. you can try to be cool to them or talk them down but realistically if you do try that then to them, you're an idiot and an old fool. I do agree with the "other side of the stream" comment too, unfortunately. There isn't much social responsibility apparent there. And that spills over into neighbouring areas. The only way to do it is take some action that makes it look like it's not aimed at them. Otherwise you come home to an egged house if you're lucky or worse broken windows etc. Plus if you've small kids who go to sleep early things could get worse if you lose the head. Warn them that you've a problem with cats on the wall and in your garden and you're trying some things to deter them. If it's your boundary wall then they shouldn't be on it so I wouldn't give a crap about their safety. I climbed plenty of trees and walls when I was a kid but I always looked out for my own safety. Trespassing or not. So, if you're trespassing it's on your own head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Had kids on my wall once and went out to them and had a chat, all going well until one piped up and said she could do anything she wanted and I was not going to stop her and she climbed into the garden. I told her I was calling the guards and she said she would get her father to sort me out. I went inside but she couldnt get back out and a few minutes later a guard came i explained she threatened me and he took her away. Had a very angry drunk father call to my door that night and to this day he is regretting he did and im not finished with the scumbag yet

Had kids on my wall once and went out to them and had a chat, all going well until one piped up and said she could do anything she wanted and I was not going to stop her and she climbed into the garden. I told her I was calling the guards and she said she would get her father to sort me out. I went inside but she couldnt get back out and a few minutes later a guard came i explained she threatened me and he took her away. Had a very angry drunk father call to my door that night and to this day he is regretting he did and im not finished with the scumbag yet

What did you do to the dad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 King_Carlos

Fair play to you. Had an experience with them on my wall about 2 mths ago. Got my baseball bat went out and gave them 2 simple options. Problem solved and have not seen them again. Spoke in a very low and calm way and they got the message.

Oh and Xavier don't bother replying to me Id prefer to pull out my nails than take your better than everyone opinion.

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    What did you do to the dad?

He was done for drunk driving that night and a few weeks later was done for fly tipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bairbre

FirstIn wrote: »
    Re telling their parents, it could be quite tough to get a hold of them. Are the kids local? If the kids are from across the stream then I wouldn't bother.

How about taking pictures of them (is this allowed, I guess so). Don't tell them what it is for but make it obvious that you are taking their pictures. They will start guessing why you are doing this and it might put them off doing it again.
    I wouldnt recommend taking pictures of them no matter how much they annoy you. Just not acceptable these days, you might end up regretting it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Bairbre wrote: »
    I wouldnt recommend taking pictures of them no matter how much they annoy you. Just not acceptable these days, you might end up regretting it
    I see no reason why not. Perfectly reasonable to take photos of trespassers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

bryaner wrote: »
    Bugger off back to your civil liberties do gooder buddies

If you don't know what ASB is well that sums it up!

And I didn't see anyone putting glass on the wall.

As for the kids their just thought to have respect and manners.

ASB could mean a number of things, maybe you should explain it before telling me to get lost? Much of a right to be here as any of ye do...

Somebody suggested putting glass on the wall, do try keep up.
    Fair play to you. Had an experience with them on my wall about 2 mths ago. Got my baseball bat went out and gave them 2 simple options. Problem solved and have not seen them again. Spoke in a very low and calm way and they got the message.

Oh and Xavier don't bother replying to me Id prefer to pull out my nails than take your better than everyone opinion.

C.

Well, I couldn't really give a damn what you think to be quite honest. It's not a "better than everyone" opinion, but a logical and unbiased approach to the matter at hand. Greasing, glassing the walls, going for baseball bats, shotguns, etc etc... a bit extreme? It's not a zombie apocolypse for christ sakes. Adults here should really have a bit of cop on and not threaten youngsters... They are walking on a wall... op has not stated otherwise, even when asked.
    He was done for drunk driving that night and a few weeks later was done for fly tipping.

Good, proper way to deal with them, call the Gardai. Less of the vigilante retribution witch hunting antics. It's quite childish.
    Bairbre wrote: »

It's pretty ok to take photo's of people in a public place. Morally questionable in the likes of a playground, but perfectly legal.

On to my next suggestion, might want to check out the legal forums here, and get a second opinion, it seems that if you are not in the witch hunting crowd, your suggestions do not matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

If the Wall is Part of You're Property Apply Some Anti Vandal Paint on the Top to Discourage Them there not Stupid, i know kids will be kids we all Where but you dont want Some Kid Falling into your Garden and Splitting there Head Open either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bryaner - tone it down please with the over-aggressive replies.

this thread has run its course - there's some good suggestions, and some really inadvisable ones. OP hope you can get it sorted out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement