Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anything be done about poor quality of line.

• 12-06-2010 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi All,

My DSL Internet provider is Vodafone. Line and infrastructure obviously belongs to Eircom.
    Recently (during period of few months) quality of line significantly dropped (attn has been increased from 60 to 65 [checked with different modems]). I know that sometimes your house may be to far from exchange but I just wonder why my neighbour has much better stats (53 Attn and twice better SNR). I opened ticket with vodafone who contacted Eircom to check my line. I got some eircom engineer that was just simply stupid and could not understand my explanations that this has nothing to do with my house wires (house is 3 years old), phone connected to line or lack of dsl filters (this all has been checked twice by me). Eircom guy after checking my house could not explain the difference in quality (i had to spend like half an hour explaining what is attn and SNR).
    Vodafone gave up without providing any solution or explanation.
    Is there anything that can be done or should i just accept the fact that i will have "internet" from 20th century.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Could be something as simple as insects in a junction box somewhere. You seem about 3 miles from the exchange with those stats. If you were very close, say one mile, getting a new line installed is normally free because eircom are desperate for customers and then you ditch the old one after DSL goes live on it. I would do it when the 1 year contract is up and you move to one months notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Could be something as simple as insects in a junction box somewhere. You seem about 3 miles from the exchange with those stats. If you were very close, say one mile, getting a new line installed is normally free because eircom are desperate for customers and then you ditch the old one after DSL goes live on it. I would do it when the 1 year contract is up and you move to one months notice.

it might be worth ordering a new line, and then when its delivered cancel the old line... eircom seem more helpful when all the services are with them.

Advertisement