Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft Comms

Options
  • 12-06-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

I have been airsofting for well over a year now and have decided that it would be a great help to get comms. I dont have a clue to be honest what to look out for or what stuff is best to buy, i know there are many out there who can shed some light so if you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

There are several threads on comms and this is the best place to search for them.

These seem to be very popular as far as radios go:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/993707/art/motorola/xtr446-walkie-talkies.html

As for headsets you choose what configuration you prefer, you pay your money & you take your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Just checking, if I get a different Radio to another person, do we still have the same channels, or are they completely different?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

J.D.R wrote: »
    Just checking, if I get a different Radio to another person, do we still have the same channels, or are they completely different?

You need a radio that operates on PMR446, after that it's just switching to the channel the other guy is on (assuming he is also running PMR446 which he should in 99.99% probabillity)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Thanks. Thats all I needed to know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Soberts wrote: »
    I have been airsofting for well over a year now and have decided that it would be a great help to get comms. I dont have a clue to be honest what to look out for or what stuff is best to buy, i know there are many out there who can shed some light so if you could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

Soberts, if you're getting a radio do yourself a favour and invest in a headset/ptt box as well. Something like this:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/combat-gears/headsets/cavalvy-tasc-tactical-headset-u94-ptt-for-motorola-talkabout-tan-version.html

Just be careful that your ptt box connection (radio to ptt box) is compatible - i.e. motorola do both single and double pin etc. That motorola radio linked above is pretty good for airsoft purposes.

Without some form of headset (either full headset, or earpiece/low profile) your radio will simply act as a handy broadcast device that will let your opposition know where you are and what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Soberts

Ok, looks like Ill need to save up a bit!
    Is it true that the call of duty xbox 360 headsets, the throat mic ones, can work with hand held radios?

Depends on the radio (i.e. no. of pins that connect it to the radio).
    But one of the lads on the team uses (or used, until he got a proper one) that COD mic. It was really difficult to hear him though - very low volume level.

Ok cool, that might be the way I start out aswel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Be warned as well that as with all things you will get what you pay for. A cheap headset will mean you have trouble hearing people and they have trouble hearing you. Pay the little extra. The ones on eHobby are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I have the radios lidl do the odd time and they work fine, the xbox headsets work with them but they come with a little earpiece that works fine, cheap too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 dozer1973

bought a troy m7a1 stubby which lasted 30 mins of play and have had numerous problems with it.Vendor finally sent it back with the promise it was finally fixed and would ya believe after spending money on some parts and on carriage it lasted "3 mags".gonna get my 380 euros back whatever it takes.anyway i'm asking anyone out there to please give me some advice on buying a PROPER airsoft gun for around the above money before i loose my mind and interest in Airsoft. thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

dozer1973 wrote: »
    bought a troy m7a1 stubby which lasted 30 mins of play and have had numerous problems with it.Vendor finally sent it back with the promise it was finally fixed and would ya believe after spending money on some parts and on carriage it lasted "3 mags".gonna get my 380 euros back whatever it takes.anyway i'm asking anyone out there to please give me some advice on buying a PROPER airsoft gun for around the above money before i loose my mind and interest in Airsoft. thanks all!
    this thread is about comms,not airsoft guns,post new question here....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055222596&page=134
    tbh,the shop(if irish) you got it from should fix it foc,unless you brought it online(ie,not ireland),as the
    saying go's,it pays to buy irish..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have a pair of cheap throats. Receiving is fine, transmitting not so. The sensor has to be exactly positioned beside your larynx for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

you can get a cheap bowman headset on ebay banned for like 25 quid or so,
    theyre alright pieces.

I have dealt with ebaybanned a few times, all they do is P**s me off. I ordered a pair of mesh glassed off them a month ago and they still havent been shipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    you can get a cheap bowman headset on ebay banned for like 25 quid or so,
    theyre alright pieces.
    I'm not so sure. In my experience they are a bit hit and miss.

sliabh wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. In my experience they are a bit hit and miss.

Second that Sliabh. I've gone through two bowmans now - one went quick, one lasted a bit longer. They usually go when the wire to the ear/boom starts to get loose - and as they're molded plastic you can't unscrew it and fix it.
    But in fairness, mine have received a fair bit of abuse.

Advertisement