Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What hidden expenses should I expect?

Options
  • 12-06-2010 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

I found my dream apartment- perfect with everything i need, problem is it's just out of my price range. I'm going to approach them about a rental reduction and see whats the lowest they will go.

Just wondering- what other costs am I looking at? it's a one bed apartment on the ground floor.
    Can anyone give me any guideline to what my bills (ie electricity/heating) will be like? I really have no idea!

I just want to get my finances right before I make any big decisions
    Thank you for any help you can offer!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Hiya

I was in the same boat to yourself a few weeks ago. I'm renting a 1 bedroom apartment. I'm here now a short while and its going very well.
    A landlord usually expects a deposit which is equal to 1 months rent and a months rent up front.

my only bill is an esb bill which is very managable. I got my first esb bill a few weeks. it was a bill for 3 weeks and came up to about 23 euro, although after getting the bill i have relaxed a bit so i'm going to guess it will be about 40 euro a month. an esb bill comes every two months.
    I dont have a tv and i dont miss it. If you decide to get a tv you will need a tv license. i have a portable dvd player which is great and loads of gadgets like a nintendo ds and books so im kept busy, and im glad i dont have a tv licence to pay for because its a bill i could do without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

water charges are due to be brought in for householders next year. theres talk about it being 400 to 500 euro a year.
    I cant help you with anything else.

oh management company fees! maybe someboday here on boards can help me with this one. i only found out about management company fees from reading the sticky above. i wasnt told about management company fees but there is something about it in my lease. i have no idea how the management company fees work and have no idea about an estimate fee but from reading on boards it can vary greatly. a management company hires a management agent who looks after things like gardening, refuse, the cleaning of hallways and staircases, the servicing of lifts, etc for the apartment complex. correct me if i am wrong somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Here is a list of the most common bills: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055786505 Can we take it this is your first time away from home? You will also need to pay for kitchen equipment, cleaning equipment, bed clothes and whatever other minor furniture and decoration you want added that isn't there at the moment.

Fuel bills can be very variable, depending on the residents' behaviour.

As its a ground floor apartment, make sure the doors and windows are secure and that the property has an alarm. Ground floor properties are at the highest risk of burglary and vandalism.

If the rent is very expensive (over €20,000 per year?) stamp duty is payable.
    ilovesleep wrote: »
    oh management company fees! maybe someboday here on boards can help me with this one. i only found out about management company fees from reading the sticky above. i wasnt told about management company fees but there is something about it in my lease. i have no idea how the management company fees work and have no idea about an estimate fee but from reading on boards it can vary greatly. a management company hires a management agent who looks after things like gardening, refuse, the cleaning of hallways and staircases, the servicing of lifts, etc for the apartment complex. correct me if i am wrong somebody.
    Normally management company fees are paid by the apartment owner, it would be peculiar for the tenant to pay them.

Advertisement