Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q6600 running below stock?

Options
  • 12-06-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

I've recently installed a Q6600. Last night I was checking temps with CoreTemp because I think one of the push pins on the stock cooler has disengaged, and I noticed that the frequency seems to be below stock.

Is this right?
    Should I increase the multiplier to x9 in the bios (everything is set to auto)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

TomCo wrote: »
    I've recently installed a Q6600. Last night I was checking temps with CoreTemp because I think one of the push pins on the stock cooler has disengaged, and I noticed that the frequency seems to be below stock.

Is this right?
    Should I increase the multiplier to x9 in the bios (everything is set to auto)?

If you haven't changed anything in the BIOS then that would be speedstep just kicking in, if you put the computer under load then it shoud jump back up to 2.4 GHz ( I think thats the stock speed anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Most likely reason is that the system throttled when idle.
    Check it again under load.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

SickBoy wrote: »
    Most likely reason is that the system throttled when idle.
    Check it again under load.

CoreTemp doesn't seem to refresh the frequency data.
    I checked with CPUZ and everything seems to be ok (It goes between 6x and 9x).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

That's not right... CoreTemp should be refreshing. And IIRC SpeedStep drops the multi to x6, not x7 :o

Double-check in the BIOS and also get a third opinion by using Prime95 to load the cores for a few seconds, IIRC it also gives a frequency readout.

Hmm, I'll check it out.

Apart from that, I installed my Freezer 7 pro a few hours ago with AS5 (turns out two of the push pins on the stock cooler were engaged outside of the mobo, bloody push pins!), but my temps still seem crap!

coretempscr.png

My E6600 temps were a good 10 degrees lower than that at idle.

• Advertisement

coretempscrd.png

Lol, check out that freq.
    I'm surprised coretemp is being so flaky.

AS5 takes time to cure, just to let you know.

Also Tom, did you reset your CMOS when you changed the E6600 for the Q6600

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Also Tom, did you reset your CMOS when you changed the E6600 for the Q6600

I updated my bios and reset the settings via "load optimised defaults".
    AFAIK the E6600 settings are the same anyway.

TomCo wrote: »
    I updated my bios and reset the settings via "load optimised defaults".
    AFAIK the E6600 settings are the same anyway.

Yeah, I thought they were similar. Still might be worth removing the battery for a minute or two

Advertisement