Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What shud I buy thru Cycle to Work programme

• 12-06-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hello,

I have never really used a bike as an Adult but I am thinking of taking up the Cycle to Work option through my employer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of bike and accessories I should buy or where would be a good place to buy them?

The distance would be about 8-9km each way.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

a good selection of trek and giant in most shops. these would be fine for communting. depending on what you spend, you can get a really nice bike(trek7.5 which goes for 775 to 795 depending on the shop) look at the giant rapid as well and all shops should do some deal on gear.
    A good backpack instead of panniers, for your short trip. use the extra weight allowance for a good lock-kryptonite or abus only. get a pair of cycyling shorts...it will make a difference, especially at eht start.
    dont take the cheap light get ones that work well at night, 1/2watt to 2 watt led lights, hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

cyclesuperstore.ie

is a great place to start, i would go for a hybrid bike, i have one and is perfect for commuting over a short distance. panniers or backpack are good (depends if you sweat much if you go for a backpack)

most local bike shops offer a deal when u get a bike to include accessories such as lights, mudguards etc...

happy hunting keep asking questions here plenty of people on here with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I'd be more inclined to get panniers instead of a rucksack for that distance. Nothing worse than a sweaty back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

keenan110 wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to get panniers instead of a rucksack for that distance. Nothing worse than a sweaty back!

i 2nd that, and you dont really notice the weight on the bike with panniers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I got a Giant Defy 2, maxed out the ctw budget, but I thought I might aswell get something decent and you can pick up the bits and pieces afterwards!

Screw the panniers at that distance, backpack all the way, more aero;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

Karma wrote: »
    a good selection of trek and giant in most shops. these would be fine for communting. depending on what you spend, you can get a really nice bike(trek7.5 which goes for 775 to 795 depending on the shop) look at the giant rapid as well and all shops should do some deal on gear.
    A good backpack instead of panniers, for your short trip. use the extra weight allowance for a good lock-kryptonite or abus only. get a pair of cycyling shorts...it will make a difference, especially at eht start.
    dont take the cheap light get ones that work well at night, 1/2watt to 2 watt led lights, hope this helps.

Cycling shorts? This brings me on to another question I had - Do people going into Office type jobs usually cycle in wearing something other than what they will be wearing in the Office? In other words, do you sweat a lot cycling in shirt and trousers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

Thanks to everyone for their response. Just gotta go ask HR if they support this in my new Job. Can't wait to give up the car/dart/bus!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

For those distances cycling shorts are not necessary.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bluefoam wrote: »
    ... and do not qualify under the bike to work scheme anyway

Only new (complete) bikes and specified safety equipment (which includes locks and panniers) qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Bluefoam wrote: »

But you'll probably end up sweaty anyhow so you'll have to consider change of clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

ipodrocker wrote: »
    i 2nd that, and you dont really notice the weight on the bike with panniers.

each to thier own i guess. but i notice the weight in a corner and would prefer to have the carried weight close to me and my COG, instead of out there at a end of the bike. and the panier mounts do weigh a bit depending on what you get. Your decent backpack will be cheaper, bigger and more convienent than paniers.

Paniers are for touring and should not be needed for a short trip.:rolleyes:

DO NOT SKIMP ON THE LOCK or lights. better than paniers and a high- vis.:rolleyes:

what bikes are you looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Karma wrote: »
    carried weight close to me and my COG,

Interesting that. Putting the weight in panniers should lower your COG, leaving you more stable in the first place...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Interesting that. Putting the weight in panniers should lower your COG, leaving you more stable in the first place...

Lower maybe (not sure myself) but it would also pull it back a bit on the bike which some (not all, but it does for me) can find very annoying for handling.

I'd recommend a saddle bag like a Carradice, I find that it makes no difference to bike handling whatsoever and is more than ample for a change of clothes and presumably whatever else you'd like to bring in.

I always bring a change in case I get caught out in rain or through sweating with unexpected heatwaves

Advertisement