Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time students eligible for dole?

Options
  • 12-06-2010 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

Is a part-time postgraduate student eligible for dole (assuming they've paid enough prsi etc)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

are they activally seeking employment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Assume all other normal conditions for dole are met.

If you are a full-time student you cannot draw dole. Is there a restriction for part-time students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You're a student and you're not available for full time work (not in a way acceptable to the dole office anyways). I would suggest the answer is no you are not eligible.

Students pursuing a course at Postgraduate level by research only, who do not have fixed lectures or holidays but who work "at their own pace" until the thesis is submitted, will be examined on an individual basis to ensure that the general availability/ seeking work conditions are satisfied.

from: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055599186

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

pwd wrote: »
    Assume all other normal conditions for dole are met.

If you are a full-time student you cannot draw dole. Is there a restriction for part-time students?

Jobseekers Benefit
    If you are unemployed you may qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit (JB) which is based on your social insurance record. A fundamental qualifying condition for Jobseekers Benefit is that you must be available for full time work.

To qualify for JB a person must have:
    At least 104 PRSI contributions paid since they started work.
    At least 39 PRSI contributions in 2008 (at least 13 of these must be paid)
    OR
    26 contributions paid in both 2007 and 2008.

To qualify for JB, a person must be unemployed for at least 3 days in 6 and must suffer a substantial loss of employment and be available for work and looking for work. Unemployed persons who are classified as casual workers do not have to have suffered a substantial loss of employment.

Jobseekers Allowance
    If you are unemployed and do not qualify for Jobseekers Benefit you may qualify for Jobseeker's Allowance (JA) which is based on your weekly means.
    You will have to meet with a Social Welfare inspector for them to determine your weekly means.
    If you are under 25 and living at home, your parents income will be taken into account in calculating your means.
    If you are married or living with a partner, their income will be taken into account in calculating your means.

it would seem unlikley they will give you anything

i would have a pile of rejection letters showing that you are activly seeking employment and something showing you are only doing education 3 or less days a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

I think its a bit crazy, if you are a full time student you cant claim welfare however in the summer months you are off you get it then. Does it not make sense to provide a student with welfare while they need it (rent, food) so i'm guessing if a full time student doesn't get it neither will a part time but if you go to your nearest Social Welfare office, they will be able to advise you.

Yeah thanks for the replies.
    Turns out I know someone who is doing this [fully above board], so I'll chat to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think its a bit crazy, if you are a full time student you cant claim welfare however in the summer months you are off you get it then. Does it not make sense to provide a student with welfare while they need it (rent, food) so i'm guessing if a full time student doesn't get it neither will a part time but if you go to your nearest Social Welfare office, they will be able to advise you.

You can't get it in the summer months just cause you're on holidays. You can lie and get it but you won't get it following the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

You should be however but only for the summer months. My class got dole, including me (bar a handful who were on different benefits with kids etc) during the first and second summer months of a two year postgraduate. There is a legal 'loophole' for postgrads.

You should be however but only for the summer months. My class got dole, including me (bar a handful who were on different benefits with kids etc) during the first and second summer months of a two year postgraduate. There is a legal 'loophole' for postgrads.
    I'm a research postgrad - don't get the summer off
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

pwd wrote: »
    I'm a research postgrad - don't get the summer off
    :(

Part time research postgrad? Then you definitely CAN get dole as you have no fixed classes or lectures. Also once you show you are actively looking for the part-time job too and registered as parttime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 natterer

You're a student and you're not available for full time work (not in a way acceptable to the dole office anyways). I would suggest the answer is no you are not eligible.

This is simply not true. A part-time course is by definition a course for a full-time employee--therefore, a part-time student is eligible for the dole indeed (assuming all other conditions are met).
    boarddotie wrote: »
    Also once you show you are actively looking for the part-time job too and registered as parttime.

No. A person on the dole must seek a full-time employment, not part time.

Advertisement