Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going on hols to US - should I tell card company?

Options
  • 12-06-2010 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am going on holidays soon to the states. With regards money, I plan to used my visa card and then, through savings I have through an online savings account, pay it off.

My question is, do I need to inform the AIB bank?

Someone at work today me I needed to do it as they may suspect it as unusual activity and I may not be contactable over there - same with my laser with AIB, can I use that over there too? Last thing I want to do is have both cards locked or something. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You don't need too, but its advisable to do so.

Laser will work as far as withdrawing money from the atm, but not for POS transactions instore. Visa will be of course ok at both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I had the same problem in 2008....went over to USA... after 2 days my cards wouldnt work (even though I had told the bank before I left) ..... it was lucky I had some spare cash to cover me until I got it sorted.

have the phone number at hand to call the bank....its a bugger when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

PCPhoto wrote: »
    it was lucky I had some spare cash to cover me until I got it sorted.

Thankfully i have never had to use it, but with some credit cards, you can go to a bank with photo id and get cash from them using your credit card if your stuck. I think €500 is the amount they will give

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have spent considerable amounts overseas with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I am going on holidays soon to the states. With regards money, I plan to used my visa card and then, through savings I have through an online savings account, pay it off.

My question is, do I need to inform the AIB bank?

Someone at work today me I needed to do it as they may suspect it as unusual activity and I may not be contactable over there - same with my laser with AIB, can I use that over there too? Last thing I want to do is have both cards locked or something. Thanks

Its handy to tell them but there is a chance that your info will not be shared with the fraud team.

Make sure the bank have your up to date contact details and get the number for calling from abroad if you run into any trouble with your cards. Also have a back up plan in cause the worst happens.

Normally its multiple ATM transactions that would flag an account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I have spent considerable amounts overseas with no issues.
    Its about unusual behaviour on the account. If you normally make minor transaction for internet purchase and suddenly there are purchases for several thousand Euro in a fancy restaurant or vice versa, they may get you to verify the transactions as legitimate.

However, if you are constantly wining and dining in fancy restaurants, they're not going to care too much, once you repay them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yes, inform AIB Bank. As I went to Orlando 2 years ago and never informed them, and my card was refused in a Gamestop over there. Rang AIB who told me they don't authorize US transactions without prior notice.

Girlfriend is with BOI, and she never had a problem and had to inform her bank.

I say this as I'm waiting in a departure lounge to go to Miami, and I informed AIB last Tuesday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

basquille wrote: »
    Yes, inform AIB Bank. As I went to Orlando 2 years ago and never informed them, and my card was refused in a Gamestop over there. Rang AIB who told me they don't authorize US transactions without prior notice.

Girlfriend is with BOI, and she never had a problem and had to inform her bank.

I say this as I'm waiting in a departure lounge to go to Miami, and I informed AIB last Tuesday.
    Ugh, don't you just hate those super early trips to the airport? Although you're in departures so the worst is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Definately ring them.

It only takes a few minutes but can save a lot of hassle. If your card normally sits in your wallet and only comes out to buy petrol in your local station, charges originating in the US may raise a red flag. (and so it should)

MBNA called me one Friday night about a 2 euro transaction on my card. They thought it looked out of the ordinary and it was !!!

Its policies like this that protect (them and us.)

Make the call, it could save you a lot of hassle.

Advertisement