Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early leavers

• 12-06-2010 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Wat do ye make of them? Annoying? Stupid? Cool as f*ck? What's the earliest you've had, any have people leaving English after 30 mins? :rolleyes:

Personally, if i'm finished and happy with what i've done i'll leave, i'm ot one of these to sit there for 40 minutes re-reading the thing 50 times and trying to squeeze out an extra few questions. What does irritate me is the people who race to finish the paper before the final 10 minute cut-off period so they can leg it out before the end...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I left maths 1 after 2 hours. I was done all 8 questions after an hour and a half, but I read over it and reread over it for any mistakes first.

I'm always inclined to do an extra Q if I can rather than leave, but I'm not usually finished very early, except in OL Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FyeaG

...I got a class mate, hes ****in weard, he sits beside me, but he always leave early, maths, geography, english, and the point is he writes alot, and gets all the questions done, he wasnt like a good student tru the year, but like one month left befo exams he just stuck into it, i bet he studied 24/7 and got everythin in his head now, good for him, lucky bastard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I havn't had much time to leave early. I finished maths really quickly but spent the rest of the time re-doing questions. I'm definitely going to leave early in Irish though, in the mocks I did every question on Paper 2 and was still finished with tons of time to spare. I'm not counting it so it won't harm me at all. Someone in english left after an hour and a half, couldn't believe it :eek: I was writing until the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I had someone in my exam centre last year who asked to leave five minutes in biology. I think she only did like one short question. She wasn't allowed leave of course, so she just sat there with her arms folded for the next half an hour. Don't know why she bothered coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 XXRachelXX

It's kinda funny in a way, they usually make a big deal out of leaving but you know yourself that they probably didn't do too well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Why would people leaving early annoy you?
    If they want to leave,let them leave. Free country.

greetings wrote: »
    Why would people leaving early annoy you?
    If they want to leave,let them leave. Free country.
    Maybe they are making noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

A friend of mine left English paper 1 after an hour..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irondragons

people who leave early are so cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I'll be leaving ordinary Irish early on Monday. Got the paper done in about 45 mins in the mocks so won't be sitting there for 2 more hours. They wouldn't let us leave in the mocks but it must have been annoying for the honours people trying to concentrate, all these people clicking pens and shuffling around arguing with the teachers to let us leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lovelabel

I left maths 1 after 2 hours. I was done all 8 questions after an hour and a half, but I read over it and reread over it for any mistakes first.

so did I!

Victoria. wrote: »
    I'll be leaving ordinary Irish early on Monday. Got the paper done in about 45 mins in the mocks so won't be sitting there for 2 more hours. They wouldn't let us leave in the mocks but it must have been annoying for the honours people trying to concentrate, all these people clicking pens and shuffling around arguing with the teachers to let us leave.
    Honours is similar. Paper 1 takes nobody more than 2 hours, and few take that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

People can't help but make noise, especially if everyone is sitting quietly doing exams.

So far I've only finished early in Foundation Maths Paper I, I finished after an hour and spent half an hour double checking everything because I wasn't expecting to finish so early, who needs two and a half hours to do Foundation Maths Paper I?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've never understood it. Everytime I see somebody leave, they just end up waiting in the yard for their friends to come out.

Or another annoying thing - one person leaves, and then their friend leaves. It's the LC - stay and do an extra question don't just leave because your friend did so you can talk about how 'shít that was'

I've never understood it. Everytime I see somebody leave, they just end up waiting in the yard for their friends to come out.

Or another annoying thing - one person leaves, and then their friend leaves. It's the LC - stay and do an extra question don't just leave because your friend did so you can talk about how 'shít that was'

I remember in the Junior I waited for a friend to leave and left when they did, only because I had finished and didn't want to be labelled a retard for leaving early so I waited lol.

Though a guy in my class left Ordinary maths after 40 minutes and halfway through the English exams...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Burswood

DaveyDave wrote: »
    who needs two and a half hours to do Foundation Maths Paper I?

People who aren't good at maths? I would certainly think so.

Burswood wrote: »
    People who aren't good at maths? I would certainly think so.

Even still, the paper is extremely short. I think I used 4 pages in the whole thing and it was pretty much all done on a calculator. It took me an hour to do it and that was with some mistakes, and taking it slow. I guess Paper II could take a long time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I always laugh. The "rebel" early leavers are always the thick ones who think its cool. Then they have to repeat or get into 0 courses.

For the sake of looking cool to people not paying attention to the Leaving Cert exams.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Actually, here is another weird thing. Of course I am probably judging, but anyway.

For the Maths exam, there were quite a few 20 year olds (well there was about 5) in my hall sitting the exam. Some of them left after 45 minutes. Only 1/5 stayed until the end. Now I may be rushing to judge them, but if they are repeating only maths, then that means they need it for a job, and/or they didn't get it right the first time. You think they would just stay until the end and give it their best shot. They were all doing Ordinary as far as I know.

• Advertisement

I always laugh. The early leavers are always the thick ones who think its cool. Then they have to repeat or get into 0 courses.

For the sake of looking cool to people not paying attention to the Leaving Cert exams.
    Ok, I take big issue with this. I got 93% in my HL maths mock, I took part in the Olympiad programme, and I'm aiming to go straight into a Masters programme in maths next year, and I left maths early. Not to show off, but because I'd done all 8 questions in 1.5 hours and then looked back over EVERYTHING. There was no need to stay, yet suddenly I'm a "thick one" or I'll have to repeat? What a ridiculous, stupid, jealous sounding post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ok, I take big issue with this. I got 93% in my HL maths mock, I took part in the Olympiad programme, and I'm aiming to go straight into a Masters programme in maths next year, and I left maths early. Not to show off, but because I'd done all 8 questions in 1.5 hours and then looked back over EVERYTHING. There was no need to stay, yet suddenly I'm a "thick one" or I'll have to repeat? What a ridiculous, stupid, jealous sounding post.
    I meant early leavers as in "rebels". Sorry I offended you.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

You're aiming to go straight into a Masters programme in Maths and you only scraped an A1? Not trying to pick a fight, but a masters is a teeny bit of a step up from LC...

We hadn't even covered the course at the time, so i'd say 93% is pretty damn good. It's a 4 year programme, basically condensing 5/6 years into 4, in St. Andrews, Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Nobody in my room has left for any exams, theres one girl that gets up to pee pretty often but thats it! Im so annoyed that irish tape is after the irish paper 1... I do ordinary level irish and i know i will be finished in an hour no doubt, and if I leave early, all I can do is sit around and wait for the tape, so annoying :(

EuropeanSon, don't be offended - you know you are an exception :P The majority of the early leavers just go outside to complain how crap the paper was and enjoy the sunshine. Most honours people stay until the end, in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Im definatly going to leave early for Irish paper 2 OL....too bad the aural is on after it tho.Can't go home just have to relax I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

People have actually left my exam centre after an hour, for BOTH English papers :p madness haha

I will definately be leaving Irish paper 2 after an hour, maybe an hour and a half, literally just wanna pass my paper 2, hate irish :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

You're aiming to go straight into a Masters programme in Maths and you only scraped an A1? Not trying to pick a fight, but a masters is a teeny bit of a step up from LC...

Are you aware of how unbelievably jealous that post sounded?

• Advertisement

EuropeanSon, don't be offended - you know you are an exception :P The majority of the early leavers just go outside to complain how crap the paper was and enjoy the sunshine. Most honours people stay until the end, in my experience
    A moderator's reply if I ever saw one. :D

Don't worry, I won't cause trouble. :P

Advertisement