Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topical discussion, no place for it in AH

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dionysus wrote: »

If people are keen enough to talk about soccer they can get access to it. Or, if there are enough of them, they can get the support to set up another board. The current situation does not justify a policy which excludes a GAA-related thread from Afterhours and permits a soccer-related thread.

And they do get access if they want.

It's the World Cup, not the Leinster Championship. A one off event.

Soccer is not discussed in AH barring that thread and a thread for the Henry hand ball. Once the WC ends, that's it.

While the Louth game was big, it hardly ranks on that level and the whole country isn't talking about it.

Really, if you don't see the distinction, don't think there is much point discussing it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'ma invade this pitch over this slur against AH moderators.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I see your points Dionysus, beleive me, i do, but i'll ask you again, read all of this thread, and read all off the AH thread, and then you might understand the reasoning for the AH thread being there.

Now no disrepaect to the events of todays match or the GAA, i enjoy watching the odd game and going to the odd championship match. But theres is no comparison to the WC as a whole and the disgracfull events at croke park today. Yes they were disgracefull and they deserve to be discussed, but it was a single match.

However, the WC has been a month long event that happens only every four years, over 60 matches, that attracts interest from both fans and none fans, regardless of the country they are from. Can you say honestly say that the events of today at croke park will attract the same number of none GAA fans and interest as the WC has done.

Also, the events at croke park generated only a small number of arguements, from my understanding, the goal, the actions of the fans, and the effect that it will have on the championship. The AH WC thread discused every single aspect of the WC, the organisation of it, the venues, the fans, the carnaval atmosphere, the commentators, the panals, the broadcasting, the teams, the players, the managers, with both a serious and irrealivent discussion, i could go on and on. The results them selves formed a very small part of that discussion. An awful lot of what was said on that thread could have led to bannings or infractions if said on the soccer forum, plus, it would have taken several differnet threads for it to be all discussed on there.

In addition, if its reasoned and serious discussion you wanted, AH is not the place for it, hence my comments on the irrealivent disccusion on the WC, which is also likely to happen if you discuss the GAA on AH.

Now i hope you understand the mods reasoning and some of the arguements a little better. On a side note, i hope there is a major investigation into the events at croke park and it causes a major shake up at the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The World Cup is more across-the-board popular than Louth and Meath bogball.

And it's a one-off event.

Seems obvious to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Dionysus wrote: »
    Like the Meath-Louth match thread which has just been closed down in AH because it was about sport?

It's blatant bias to lock GAA threads and keep a soccer thread open.

PS: As shocking as it might be to some, a substantial majority of the Irish population has no interest whatsoever in the soccer world cup. This is the reality, no matter how much hype there is.

You're comparing a global multicultural event to an Ireland only sport.
    GAA results won't even make European news

Best place for it is the GAA forum

• Advertisement
Advertisement