Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if I don't turn up for Irish Paper 2?

• 12-06-2010 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭

Do I just get marked out of Paper One, the listening and the oral yes? Doing ordinary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

SantryRed wrote: »
    Do I just get marked out of Paper One, the listening and the oral yes?

No you will lose 300 marks

You will still be marked out of 600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

^What he said. You'll be marked like everyone else, just get 0% for paper 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

You'll lose all marks going for paper 2 and still be marked out of the total marks.

You should go in and write something, even if you don't stay for the full time, if you write something you have a chance at getting marks than if you don't go in at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Sorry, I'd like to add that it's ordinary level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 watevertrevor

Doesn't matter what level it is. You will lose ALL 300 marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Sorry, I'd like to add that it's ordinary level!

:p

That makes no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

You'd be an idiot :rolleyes: seriously even if you know you'll do **** on it then turn up if u did well on p1 and the oral then i'm sure a few extra points on p2 wud help with ur overall grade instead of just throwing them away.

Well it does cause it's only worth 150 instead of 300. Which is a quarter instead of a third.

But I don't care about Irish and would rather study an extra hour for business which actually matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I was thinking about it, i'd prefer to study for Business later that day. I'm going to go in, finish as quick as I can and leave as soon as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

The ordinary level paper 2 is worth 110 marks of the 600, so you'd lose those automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

What if business goes horribly and you ened up needing your points from Irish?

You're obviously decent or you wouldn't be so sure you'd passed even with throwing away 25%, go in, write as much as you can in an hour ad leave, not going in at all would be madness

What if business goes horribly and you ened up needing your points from Irish?

You're obviously decent or you wouldn't be so sure you'd passed even with throwing away 25%, go in, write as much as you can in an hour ad leave, not going in at all would be madness

No chance. I'm doing 6 honours and Irish as a pass. I haven't done any work all year. With the oral, listening and Paper One I'll get 40%. All I want. I won't get any higher than a C1 if I did try which is useless to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 XXRachelXX

No chance. I'm doing 6 honours and Irish as a pass. I haven't done any work all year. With the oral, listening and Paper One I'll get 40%. All I want. I won't get any higher than a C1 if I did try which is useless to me.

For Ordinary Irish Paper II is only worth 18% so if you're already confident of having passed and don't need it for points then \i don't see why not

I admire your confidence, I was the same with Maths when I did the LC in '08, my only ordinary level, all I needed was a pass and I knew that barring a disaster there was no way I'd use those points.

Still not a hope in hell I would've missed the exam though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

And, what happens if you get 36%? If you just turned up and did a small bit for P2 you'd have passed, and not be repeating the LC. There's no guarantee you WILL Pass...any extra marks you can get, take ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

^^

What he said!

Jeez, I'm agreeing with challengemaster to-day!!

/wanders off to look for the blue moon

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Just go, even for the first half an hour, to be safe. Then you still get loads of bonus time to study business, and can be doubly assured of your pass. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mr_Gusty

I have heard that if an examiner finds a paper 1 without a paper 2 they will do whatever they can to fail you. Like marking extra hard and always giving the least they possibly can. Don't know how true that is tho

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Why not, though? It's not like they're gonna dock you marks if you screw it up. I'd recommend to go in and write something down, regardless of how unprepared you are. That 18% makes a world of difference between a B2 and an A1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Mr_Gusty wrote: »
    I have heard that if an examiner finds a paper 1 without a paper 2 they will do whatever they can to fail you. Like marking extra hard and always giving the least they possibly can. Don't know how true that is tho

I doubt it somehow. They are getting paid for marking x amounts of scripts, so if you are missing a whole paper, it makes the job a lot easier for them :)

I would still recommend going in. A lot of people think that because they have the oral done they are near the pass grade. People do bad in the oral without realising it - mistakes like pronunciation dock marks, but most people don't know they make these mistakes, or they wouldn't have made them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Alice10

what happens if you dont show up for one of your other exams that has only one paper eg biology ??
    Do you get an NG on your results or will it just be taken off your results sheet altogether??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I was thinking about it, i'd prefer to study for Business later that day. I'm going to go in, finish as quick as I can and leave as soon as I can.

Thats what I'm going to do for Paper 2 as well. I have French and History the next day and I need to study history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mr_Gusty

Alice10 wrote: »
    what happens if you dont show up for one of your other exams that has only one paper eg biology ??
    Do you get an NG on your results or will it just be taken off your results sheet altogether??
    NG as far as i'm aware. your officaly doing that subject after you put it down on the fourm eariler in the year

Here's a scenario for you OP...

You wake up at 8am on tuesday morning, have a bit of breakfast, get out the business notes. 9.30 comes and goes, you don't go to your Irish exam, studying's going really well. 12.30, you reckon you've done as much as you feel you can do, you're perfectly prepared for the business exam, you're going to ace it. 1.15, you start to feel a little off. 1.30, there's definitely something wrong. 1.50, you've your head in the school toilet looking at your breakfast. Something you ate on Monday night didn't agree with you. You feel absolutely crap, vomiting every 30 mins, this exam is gone out the window. Thank God it's only a 12/24 hr thing and you've done well in your Iri... Oh, wait.

Not out of the question at all, do your exam, seriously

kev9100 wrote: »
    Thats what I'm going to for Paper 2 as well. I have French and History the next day and I need to study history.

Yeah I don't think Irish will take us that long and we might as well spend time studying for subjects that we need to do well in :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Mr_Gusty wrote: »
    Not true at all.
    Yeah I don't think Irish will take us that long and we might as well spend time studying for subjects that we need to do well in :cool:
    Or spend the time you're on the internet studying instead? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Davabo

Thats a tricky one. Well tbh I see your point, But i'd go in anyway just in case, I know im probly going to fail paper 2 But a few marks is always better then none.

Or spend the time you're on the internet studying instead? :D

I can't study when the football's on!

Definitely true though, however I spend an awful lot of time studying and during breaks I go on Boards to keep me sain. I'll admit this last break has been a tad too long but I'll make up for it tomorrow :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will get an asterisk beside your result as you will be missing a component of the examination (Paper II).

Advertisement