Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork School of Music

Options
  • 12-06-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just wondering is there anyone here that's in the fourth year of the BMUS program in the C.I.T School of Music?
    What does the year involve? Is there a lot of choice with moduales? Or is it very performance based?

I'm just trying to find out as much as possible about it. I'm in the UCC School of Music and I am considering transferring to C.I.T for my fourth year of the BMUS program.

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Irishmaestro

Hey, just saw your post now. I've just graduated from the BMus programme in CSM, really enjoyed it.

Transferring to fourth year depends on what modules you want to take - like, there are quite a few that require you to have done previous modules. Which means you'd have to come in in third year or something. That would be the case with something like counterpoint, orchestration, music therapy, etc.

You'd need a good working knowledge of harmony - there is a harmony\analysis bit of the Core Musicianship module (which is mandatory), which involves both analysis of music from the late 19th Century and harmonisation of bass-lines in four-part harmony.

As for performance, you can do a lot of it, or a little - but you must do some of it. There's a Core Instrumental Studies module, which involves half an hour of lessons per week, along with an end-of-semester recital. However, you can add on more modules if you want, to give you more lessons - and to allow you do recitals, etc.

Hope that helps a bit.

[ Incidentally, I transferred from UCC into Second Year of the CSM BMus - I wanted to study harmony, counterpoint, orchestration, and to develop my skills on the harpsichord. I found the process relatively easy, and almost everyone was extremely accommodating. =) ]

Advertisement