Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Master thesis in another country

Options
  • 12-06-2010 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I am an EU student (not resident in Ireland) and I've been offered a place on a DIT Master programme today.
    I have a question regarding the Master thesis:
    - Do I have to stay in Dublin while writing the thesis or can I return to my home country and stay in contact with my supervisor via e-mail, etc.?
    The reason why I am asking this is because I found out that the thesis is due in October, but the academic year (with lectures, exams) seems to end in June. The rental period for student accommodation is also from September to June, so I wonder where the students stay in summer.
    Sorry if this question sounds odd, but student life in my home country is a bit different than in Ireland.

Thanks a lot in advance ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Hi My Melody,

I will also be doing a postgrad in DIT starting in sept. Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question but if you look up the course director / head on the DIT site, email them & you should find out.

As for accomodation, you will have a lot to choose from in Dublin, unless you are staying in some specific student accomod? Im sure student specific accomodation cater for postgraduate student needs accordingly, i.e. longer renting terms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MyMelody

Hi Mr Yellow,

thanks a lot for your response. Very good idea to ask the course director. I sent an e-mail a few hours ago, let's see what happens.
    May I ask which course you will be doing? Concerning the accommodation, I thought about flatsharing which is probably cheaper and easier in terms of longer renting. Do you know if it is difficult to find flatmates in Dublin? I also don't know if I am able to go to Dublin prior to start of the course (to search for a flat).

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

You should have no problem returning to your country to do your master's thesis. It obviously would be helpful to you for research purposes that the topic you choose is readily researchable where you reside. I'm in the process of doing a master's thesis at the moment and know of at least one person from my course returning to their home country for the Summer where they will complete the thesis. You should bring this subject up with the course co-ordinator once you start and then with your thesis supervisor but I doubt you will have any problem.

Advertisement