Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice house/not so nice area OR nice area/unpleasant house?

Options
  • 12-06-2010 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi,

we have been looking to rent a place for months now. We have been offered some lovely houses in areas where we are unsure whether it would be safe to walk home alone at night.

In some of the safer areas, the properties can be depressing and overpriced for what you get.

Any advice?

Thanks! :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

The three most important factors in buying a house are
    1. Location
    2. Location
    3. Location

in that order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 adnoif

Jo King wrote: »
    The three most important factors in buying a house are
    1. Location
    2. Location
    3. Location

in that order.

Thank you, but we are just renting...so what do you think? We are at deadlock! So hard to find places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Elzer

adnoif wrote: »
    Hi,

we have been looking to rent a place for months now. We have been offered some lovely houses in areas where we are unsure whether it would be safe to walk home alone at night.

In some of the safer areas, the properties can be depressing and overpriced for what you get.

Any advice?

Thanks! :confused:

Hey,

Im going to answer your thread with a question..... what areas are you looking into for renting???? this may help posters when replying to this thread.......

And you have to understand that no matter how good an area , there will always be a small element of bad whereever you go......

Elzer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 a face in the crowd

Hi,

Hey

what areas are you looking at??? if you throw out some names of areas, maybe some posters who are aquainted with them, will tell you the good and bad, if any, of a particular area.

hope that made sense.

Face.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

You'll spend more time in the property than you will in the surrounding area, so as long as they are equidistant from the various places you spend your time then I'd plump for the house. If you envisage the locality being a base for you, a place you spend time (pubs, shops, coffee) then the weighting for the locale increases.

I live in a 'rough' area. Never been blinked at. Once the door closes I'm oblivious. Miss some of the amenities a 'nicer' locale might offer. I'm minutes from Dublin city centre though.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. We like Kilmainham, D4, Ringsend, but are open to anywhere. Must be on good public transport to centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I,d say there are good deals going in cabra, stoneybatter but even a 1bed house on the southside is expensive.Theres always old houses in need of total redecoration ,owner passed away.They tend to be cheaper.
    IF you are good at decorating and have a few grand for new kitchen units .

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

hi adnoif
    have sent you a pm

ricman wrote: »
    I,d say there are good deals going in cabra, stoneybatter but even a 1bed house on the southside is expensive.Theres always old houses in need of total redecoration ,owner passed away.They tend to be cheaper.
    IF you are good at decorating and have a few grand for new kitchen units .
    Thank you - but as we are looking to rent, we don't really want to decorate or buy furniture...

WHat do people think of Christ Church (between Thomas St and Partick St)?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Thanks everyone. We like Kilmainham, D4, Ringsend, but are open to anywhere. Must be on good public transport to centre.

I lived in Ringsend for a few years. I really liked it your close to town/beach. The only problem is there isnt that much around closest Tesco is merrion so you need a car and the buses are quite bad. But you can get a reasonably priced place.

The rest of D4 is quite overpriced would you not look at D6 Rathmines/Ranelagh/Harolds Cross?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm in Ringsend, what you need to know? ;)

Avoid Thomas st, its junkie central.

Have you looked at Rush Co Dublin???? Right by the sea Two beaches great bars ranging from one end of the street to the other..... AIB Bank in Rush, Bank of Ireland, National Irish bank etc in Skerries. Swords with large Dunnes store and Big Tesco being built in Balbriggan..... Has it bad points too but way better than morst area's...... And prices are dropping on the rental here too google Daft.ie.......... Happy house hunting...... :D:)

Elzer wrote: »
    Have you looked at Rush Co Dublin???? Right by the sea Two beaches great bars ranging from one end of the street to the other..... AIB Bank in Rush, Bank of Ireland, National Irish bank etc in Skerries. Swords with large Dunnes store and Big Tesco being built in Balbriggan..... Has it bad points too but way better than morst area's...... And prices are dropping on the rental here too google Daft.ie.......... Happy house hunting...... :D:)

Also has Rush n Lusk Train Station to central Dublin Very good service..... The 33 bus not so good but takes you into Dublin also......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I live near Kilmainham in the Bulfin estate. Great area, loads of buses - can walk into town in 30 mins/cycle in 10. Some nice pubs, a few nice places to eat. A good few shops, and Superquinn opening in HSQ sometime soon. Luas nearby. Handy for M50, heading to Rathmines/Ranelagh is just a quick jaunt on the bike down the canal. Near two parks, canal is great for walking/running. A good few things to do if you're bored on Sunday - IMMA, Kilmainham, Memorial gardens... It's a great spot, love living there. IMO it's prob the best value place to live in Dublin for your money.

olaola wrote: »
    I live near Kilmainham in the Bulfin estate. Great area, loads of buses - can walk into town in 30 mins/cycle in 10. Some nice pubs, a few nice places to eat. A good few shops, and Superquinn opening in HSQ sometime soon. Luas nearby. Handy for M50, heading to Rathmines/Ranelagh is just a quick jaunt on the bike down the canal. Near two parks, canal is great for walking/running. A good few things to do if you're bored on Sunday - IMMA, Kilmainham, Memorial gardens... It's a great spot, love living there. IMO it's prob the best value place to live in Dublin for your money.

Thank you - we live there now and like the area, but we eventually found a great place, after much searching, in town, after not finding anything in Kilmainham that was suitable.

Advertisement