Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stone Villa on the north circular road

Options
  • 12-06-2010 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Anyone know anything about the history of this place? Just wondering who built it and used to live in it. How long it's been empty? Why has it been empty for so long etc?
    Any info much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Lisa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Are you talking about this place?

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sws929ggccpz&scene=53219880&lvl=2&sty=b

I was wondering that myself, any ideas? Looks more like an orphanage, convent, etc than a private house

Oh, er, actually, I see now that my place is on Portland Row.
    I'm guessing you mean this place:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=swsz7xgg91jp&scene=42335158&lvl=2&sty=b

It's for sale:
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/stonevilla-297-north-circular-road-phibsboro-dublin-7/106700
    http://www.daft.ie/1436585

Thread about it here:
    http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20782

If I win the lottery, it's mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lisahallatt

Hi Ste.phen,

Was actually considering buying it ourselves! Just wanted to find out a bit about its history really. Wonder how long its been empty for. That's really helpful that info though, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'd say the Estate Agent would know more about the old/current owners, but with the obvious caveat that they won't tell you anything bad.

I'd be worried that despite the price coming down so much (from 'HOLY CRAP' to 'Hmm....', it would cost an absolute fortune to renovate and maintain, and as some mentioned in the propertypin thread, it's a protected structure, so there's not much scope for heavy duty remodelling

Good luck if you manage to go ahead with it, would be very interested in seeing how it turns out after some TLC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lisahallatt

Hmmm going to go see it on Monday and see quite what kind of state it's in. I know it would cost a fortune to maintain, just feels like a once in a lifetime opportunity kind of thing at that price! We shall see anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Ste.phen,

That building you linked in the second post there, at the moment its unused and in a bit of a state. theres security guards coming and going from it a lot during the evening/night.

For years it was a Telecom Eireann depot (80-90s) and in the early noughties they closed it down and leased it to the Irish Film board. it was a location used for a few movies like Ordinary Decent Criminals with kevin Spacey, In America and some other film about the north who's name escapes me at the moment. :)
    The building was used for storing stuff belonged to them for a few years and maybe a year or more ago they seem to have given up on the place, letting it get a bit overgrown and dilapidated.

i know its probably its original history you want, but thought that would be handy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Hmmm going to go see it on Monday and see quite what kind of state it's in. I know it would cost a fortune to maintain, just feels like a once in a lifetime opportunity kind of thing at that price! We shall see anyway.
    I remember seeing an article on this house in one of the proprty supplements (Irish Times I think) about 2 years ago. I guess it's been on the market about 2 years or more.

That price is certainly way more affordable than when it was advertised first. Though it looks like it needs a lot more cash.

It would be nice to see it being used productively/lived in.

Best of luck with the viewing, let us know what it is like!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Are you talking about this place?

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sws929ggccpz&scene=53219880&lvl=2&sty=b

I was wondering that myself, any ideas? Looks more like an orphanage, convent, etc than a private house
    This is Aldborough House, I understand named for John Stratford, Viscount Amiens and Earl of Aldborough, which was used as a Crimean era army barracks. Subsequently used by post & telegraphs and (part) sold to Dublin Corporation under the State Property Act, 1954.

Aldborough Barracks - Aldborough Place & Portland Row--Site of Fenian attack in 1893. Seems to have been closed around 1894.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 donotpanic

Yes this is a lovely house, we were looking at it also some time ago. It is a complicated building, it is a protected structure and is on the RPS, which means its comes under section 57 of the planning and dev act. But this problem is that right there is no idea what can and can not be touched. This can come down to the paint on the internal walls. From what I know the internal as well as the external and all the out building are protected, so it is difficult to take the risk of having plans done etc and then have everything hit a wall. But she is a beauty, just needs money and time. Best of luck lisahallatt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 live

Hi, just reading about Stone Villa,I used to pass it on way to school years ago, l aways wondered who lived in it.How was the viewing,would be lovely to see it lived in. Good luck,let us know?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shanahap

Just passed this house today and came across this thread. It seems to have gone from bad to worse, broken windows, pigeons coming out of the roof.

It is a shame to see a once fine house being left to rot like this.
    live wrote: »
    Hi, just reading about Stone Villa,I used to pass it on way to school years ago, l aways wondered who lived in it.How was the viewing,would be lovely to see it lived in. Good luck,let us know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 eminoz

Pased this house yesterday - still in shock. Found this link while trying to work out what to do next - have to do something!
    Has anyone who visited got photos of previous condition - esp inside? They would be necessary for showing neglect. Even a note based on the viewing?
    It had been unoccupied and no doubt neglected, but there was a habitable house with a bit of TLC (and a lot of money)
    I suppose the owners will claim that the porch and annexe "fell down", while the bricking in was needed because of squatters. But tearing off the creeper is negligent - it'll expose the walls/roof to worse damage from damp.
    This house is an impediment to developing this "site" - there's a large amount of land behind. Next thing will be trees behind being felled. First step is to report it to Dublin City council, for what that is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

I passed this house the other day and was shocked at what has been done to it . Its a protected structure and the new owners have done nothing positive.

I can only think that it might "fall down" and a new house built on the original footprint.

Does anyone know who direcrtly this gets reported to ?

I've checked website but only got the email details - It's planningenforcement@dublincity.ie
    Mark it "Protected structure" just in case. I believe you can phone, but need to make a complaint in writing before they will deal with it. Has to be done, though.
    Have you any idea when this work was done? I passed about 2 weeks ago and didn't notice then (but could have been distracted).
    The neighbourhood (and city) will not alone lose a fine house but a green lung.
    And does anyone know who now owns this - needn't tell me but tell the Council. Damn them! - the owners - to their brass necks for this destruction (ah sure we only boarded it up against squatters - awful luck for us it fell down later). These are more of the same b******s who have ruined Dublin. And I thought they'd gone away...

Re vandalism, the good news is the Council is on the case. The owner will have to secure the house and take measures to stop rain damage etc.
    But! (the Catch...)
    That looks like the extent of its interest (or power?): the owner will not be required to reinstate it to previous standard.
    That may be partly because of the extent of other work that would have needed in any case, but how can anyone do this and not incur an outright penalty?
    Does anyone understand planning/conservation laws? I mean, this could continue as an eyesore indefinitely unless owner him/herself decides to make a habitable residence and applies for planning to restore it.
    (I'll plant this here - if it now needs to move to another forum, you'll let me know)

Advertisement