Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timing for exams!

• 12-06-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Has it occurred to anyone else how messed up the times for exams? I mean, English, Geography and History at higher level has a huge amount of writing and thinking involved, and with so many questions you're in a complete rush.
    And they give us 2.50 hours (or 3.20 for eng paper 2). Far too little for what they expect off us. I mean, history for example. 3 4-5 page essays and a whole document q. 40 mins each. It's crazy.

And what's worse is the amount of time we get for other subjects. For my phys/chem exam we get 3 hours and we really only need about 2 or 2 and a half at the most. In OL irish paper 1 we get 2.20 mins to do a little story, a little letter and copy a few lines from 2 comprehensions.

Whatever about them being too short for timing, at least be consistent one way or another.

Anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Try doing Accounting - it is much worse than most of the subjects you mentioned. Well except for History - I hear it's quite bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Higher level irish paper 1 is way too long too... If you have an essay prepared you can be finished in an hour and a half... they give 2 hours 50 minutes... like in fairness.. you could do 2 essays in that time and still be finished early

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Timing on Accounting :( I could easily get an A with extra time, but as it is, I'm lucky to get a B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I must be one of the few who has no trouble for time in accounting. History is a worry though, time is very short in it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I must be one of the few who has no trouble for time in accounting. History is a worry though, time is very short in it.

You mentioned that in another thread. I think that's amazing. Do you use a red pen for stuff like ruling lines, and underlining totals, and underlining headings. Do you actually need to do all of that or is my teacher a little too exact?

• Advertisement

You mentioned that in another thread. I think that's amazing. Do you use a red pen for stuff like ruling lines, and underlining totals, and underlining headings. Do you actually need to do all of that or is my teacher a little too exact?
    Hell no. I just write, and write. No red pens, I don't even rule the lines. I just do columns next to each other, without ruling lines or anything like that. My mom
    teaches Accounting, she says there's no need to to anything above what's needed to male it legible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

My teacher say not to waste anytime switching pen, actually she kills us if we do!

Hell no. I just write, and write. No red pens, I don't even rule the lines. I just do columns next to each other, without ruling lines or anything like that. My mom
    teaches Accounting, she says there's no need to to anything above what's needed to male it legible.

What!? My accounting teacher said you need to rule the lines, put in the headings in red, make sure you have your € symbols in and make sure that all headings are underlined. She makes us underline Less: and Add: in entries Such as Less: Closing Stock

Wow the time wasted doing things like that :o

So they definitely can't dock you marks for not using red pen? Even for writing significant things, like Gross Profit, Balance b/d. Can I use black/blue pen (i.e. normal writing pen) for the line that comes before totals?

What!? My accounting teacher said you need to rule the lines, put in the headings in red, make sure you have your € symbols in and make sure that all headings are underlined. She makes us underline Less: and Add: in entries Such as Less: Closing Stock

Wow the time wasted doing things like that :o

So they definitely can't dock you marks for not using red pen? Even for writing significant things, like Gross Profit, Balance b/d. Can I use black/blue pen (i.e. normal writing pen) for the line that comes before totals?
    Underline headings, and underline totals with double lines (like Net Assets, Capital Employed etc). They sure as hell can't dock you based on what coloured pen you use.

Edit: put in the € sign too, once, at the top of each column.

Underline headings, and underline totals with double lines (like Net Assets, Capital Employed etc). They sure as hell can't dock you based on what coloured pen you use.

Oh wow, I certainly hope this is true! It would save me at least 5 minutes or more not having to switch pen.

Isn't there marks for presentation though? I would hate to throw away those? Actually I don't think there are marks for presentation, but rather marks deducted for lack of presentation, as they are supposed to be formal accounts.

Actually, thinking about it, it's a bit silly. In real life, accounts are done on computer and they are done in the one colour. I don't know where this ruler, red pen madness comes from anyway. (well I can understand ruler!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

Timing can be an issue alright, but surprisingly English wasn't an issue for me, finished paper one with ten minutes to go and paper two with about 10 aswel, granted I was rushing and keeping an eye on time:)

Oh wow, I certainly hope this is true! It would save me at least 5 minutes or more not having to switch pen.

Isn't there marks for presentation though? I would hate to throw away those? Actually I don't think there are marks for presentation, but rather marks deducted for lack of presentation, as they are supposed to be formal accounts.

Actually, thinking about it, it's a bit silly. In real life, accounts are done on computer and they are done in the one colour. I don't know where this ruler, red pen madness comes from anyway. (well I can understand ruler!).
    Upon asking my mom, she says no, definitely not, except in Published accounts. She has never seen a marking scheme take marks off for bad presentation, except incorrect layouts in Cashflows, Q1 expenses, and published. Red pens are definitely not needed.

Only published is formal, the rest just gives marks for numbers and correct headings.

She also says make sure to show all workings, but you probably knew that already.

Upon asking my mom, she says no, definitely not, except in Published accounts. She has never seen a marking scheme take marks off for bad presentation, except incorrect layouts in Cashflows, Q1 expenses, and published. Red pens are definitely not needed.

Only published is formal, the rest just gives marks for numbers and correct headings.

She also says make sure to show all workings, but you probably knew that already.

That's excellent! Thanks for the advice and for going to the trouble of asking your mom! Thanks again :D

Advertisement