Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ceiling paint has flaked off over shower

• 12-06-2010 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi Folks

Was wondering if someone can help, we have a small ensuite bathroom on to our bedroom, there is no window in the ensuite just an extracter fan. The problem is that there is a small area over the shower where the paint has been flaking so this evening i decided to scrap off the flakey paint, now its back to the plaster. Whats my next step it onyl seems to be in one area, can i just apint over the part where i have scrapped off or do i have to paint the whole ceiling, its now exposed back to the plaster so i need some advice to remedy this problem, dont know much about painting and decorating so looking for advice and tips.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anti condensation paint (or in crown or dulux its called their bathroom range), you'll get it in any diy store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 BackRowBlues

thanks for your reply do i have to put anything on the plaster before i apply the paint nad can i just paint over the patch or do i have to do the whole ceiling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You will also need to use your extractor fan more. Chances are this is why it flaked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

was it flaking for long? you could end up with a mold issue if the steam has dampened the plaster. if so you should get the area patched up first, then apply an anti fungicide sealer. i'd think about stripping back the paint at least over the whole shower area, and then repaint the whole sealing with the anti condensation paint

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Make sure you use " kitchen and bathroom " rather than standard emulsion paint. Its not too expensive, B and Q do their own brand and Woodies/Atlantic do the very good quality " Johnsons " 2 coats of this will be fine.

hitbit

• Advertisement
Advertisement