Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken Ring predictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Kenring

Villain wrote: »
    Emm well the ME do only do regional forecast by Province except for Dublin, have a look at http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp
    This is just feedback.
    What a very odd thing to say. You're having me on, surely. You post a link showing counties and in the same sentence say ME don't do counties???? :D

Look to the right of your link, where it says County Forecasts (Midday), and use the drop down menu to select the county. All of them are there.

www.predictweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭Speak Now

This graphic forecast is a computer-generated output and may on occasion
    differ from the text forecast, in which case the text forecast should be given priority.

Don't know why they bother really.

Poly wrote: »
    Your prediction for this week is shaping up nicely Ken, I've planned the weekend in Donegal around it.
    Thanks
    As I have posted on another thread, only another 2 and a half weeks of summer conditions to go. I'm expecting some big dollops of rain around the new moon, July 10th-14th, which may bring flooding. This bounteous sunshine may only last till the end of June, then I expect it to be quite cloudy through July. The sun returns in August, but apart from odd days that reach 20C the heat should have gone, because full moons will no longer accompany southern declinations.

www.predictweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Kenring wrote: »
    As I have posted on another thread, only another 2 and a half weeks of summer conditions to go. I'm expecting some big dollops of rain around the new moon, July 10th-14th, which may bring flooding. This bounteous sunshine may only last till the end of June, then I expect it to be quite cloudy through July. The sun returns in August, but apart from odd days that reach 20C the heat should have gone, because full moons will no longer accompany southern declinations.

www.predictweather.com

Personally I take all forcasts with a grain of salt - however... I do find Ken's forcasts intriguing and in my opinion (uninformed and unscientific) to be generally on the accurate side of the fence.

What REALLY annoys me is people like VILLAIN taking their personal issues (credit cards, reports etc...) in a public forum concerned with weather predictions - if someone has a beef with regard to payments etc... take them up with the appropriate authority - not this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What a very odd thing to say. You're having me on, surely. You post a link showing counties and in the same sentence say ME don't do counties???? :D

Look to the right of your link, where it says County Forecasts (Midday), and use the drop down menu to select the county. All of them are there.

I wouldn't call that a forecast its just computer generated icons, the regional forecast with text is what I was referring to

• Advertisement

IRCA wrote: »

What REALLY annoys me is people like VILLAIN taking their personal issues (credit cards, reports etc...) in a public forum concerned with weather predictions - if someone has a beef with regard to payments etc... take them up with the appropriate authority - not this forum.

I only brought that up when Ken suggested I may not have paid for his forecast, I would agree with you in general but Ken charges for his forecasts so charges and issues aren't totally OTT.

Ken has chosen to discuss his service in a public forum I am only giving feedback based on my purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Forecasts can never be more specific as the radar comes from satellites hundreds of miles up.
    I love the tone of complete certainty and conviction you use. I'm beginning to admire you. You are an artist in your chosen career!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

When the kilkenny station was closed down recently, met eireann relocated to oak park in carlow, a teagasc site which already had a good climatological station. Shame kilkenny is gone. :(
    Just in case it is misunderstood by some, the closure of Kilkenny is nothing to do with finance, but to do with development near the site, same happened with Rosslare and Clones.:(
    The finance aspect with some stations is nothing to do with Met Eireann but with 3rd party such as NPWS. Things like relocating staff can mean no one to take the readings.

As for Kilkenny, there is continuity of climatological record because a climate station was installed at a nearby site before the synoptic station closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Mothman wrote: »
    Just in case it is misunderstood by some, the closure of Kilkenny is nothing to do with finance, but to do with development near the site, same happened with Rosslare and Clones.:(
    The finance aspect with some stations is nothing to do with Met Eireann but with 3rd party such as NPWS. Things like relocating staff can mean no one to take the readings.

As for Kilkenny, there is continuity of climatological record because a climate station was installed at a nearby site before the synoptic station closed.

Oh yeah forgot that sorry!!!:P

They said it was because it was now in a built up area . . .so they replaced it with oak park, which while not in a built up area as such, it is fairly urban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

A full working station would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Is there anywhere to see the data?

We loved our weather station in kilkenny, one of the warmest in summer and coldest in winter.
    oh and I suspect it was a weather balloon from there that landed in my field years ago........

Kilkennyweather
    Live data offline this week with a minor hardware probelm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Kilkennyweather
    Live data offline this week with a minor hardware probelm

While its good to have, it doesnt seem to be quite as accurate, at least in extremes of temperature. It got to a minimum of -11 or so in January, while a climate station in Mt.Juliet just 10 miles away ( and in an rural area) got to -16.5.

While its good to have, it doesnt seem to be quite as accurate, at least in extremes of temperature. It got to a minimum of -11 or so in January, while a climate station in Mt.Juliet just 10 miles away ( and in an rural area) got to -16.5.
    Its folly to compare mins between sites that are so far apart. There can be this difference even across half mile..
    There are many factors at play as to why there may be several degree difference in minimum temperature, but I can assure you both figures are correct.

Its folly to compare mins between sites that are so far apart. There can be this difference even across half mile..
    There are many factors at play as to why there may be several degree difference in minimum temperature, but I can assure you both figures are correct.
    It doesn't matter how correct they are, they are invalid if they are not a duplicate at or near the same site. You need two for verification. That is standard meteorological and scientific practice. Otherwise anomalies due to operator or equipment error are not detected, Anybody can say anything for anywhere at any time.

I wouldn't call that a forecast its just computer generated icons, the regional forecast with text is what I was referring to
    So let me get this straight. You run a website gathering weather data for Carlow. But you don't give it to ME, and as far as you know no one else does either? And they themselves don't? Then this must come as news to your ears.
    ME gather daily data for all counties, all parameters. Voila!!
    I definitely know this because I was sent a list of what is offered and what the charges are. They wanted thousands of pounds for what I wanted.
    www.predictweather.com

So let me get this straight. You run a website gathering weather data for Carlow. But you don't give it to ME, and as far as you know no one else does either? And they themselves don't? Then this must come as news to your ears.
    ME gather daily data for all counties, all parameters. Voila!!
    I definitely know this because I was sent a list of what is offered and what the charges are. They wanted thousands of pounds for what I wanted.
    www.predictweather.com

Not sure what exactly you mean, ME have their own station in Carlow Town.

My point was you said the forecast you give for each county should allow 80km and 100km now that covers a few counties in most cases so I simply suggested that perhaps you should consider giving your forecast by province rather than by county like ME do. You showed a link to computer generated icons to try and suggest that ME do a county forecasts but imo they aren't proper forecasts just computer generated icons that only give basic detail.

As where the regional forecast by province is a human generated forecast with text.

My point really Ken is the following:

I pointed out to you that the earlier heatwave we got this year was not in your forecast and you stated that your methods weren't great when it came to temps and the sun. I suggested that perhaps you might think of excluding the temps in that case.

I also pointed out that rain forecast for May wasn't accurate you said you have to allow 2 days error.

Your rain distribution chart for last weekend had rain on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and even Monday in parts of the West, North West and Midlands but we had one of the best weekends in years and you replied saying you had to allow 80-100km radius.

It just seems to me that you make more and more excuses tbh and I was trying to suggest that maybe a province forecast with a WXSIM type of % risk might give a better type of forecast.

Not sure what exactly you mean, ME have their own station in Carlow Town.
    Apologies, I read you wrong, I thought you said ME don't collect county data.
    Your rain distribution chart for last weekend had rain on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and even Monday in parts of the West, North West and Midlands but we had one of the best weekends in years and you replied saying you had to allow 80-100km radius. .
    No, I had light rain+sun predicted, and in summer 'light rain' can also mean dew/frost/haze/fog/mist= dry hot day. Rain gauges can't distinguish between different types of moisture in small amounts. The day gauges get eyes and brains is the day this will change.
    It just seems to me that you make more and more excuses..
    Well all I can say is that some on this forum seem to think I have got the season fairly correct so far. Here's an email from a Sligo farmer that I received today:

Hi Ken
    I have my meadows cut based on your prediction, I am a big fan. For the past two years I have based my (hobby) farming work around your predictions and you have been bang on! This year I purchased the 3 month prediction, I have lots of work planned around it!! Yesterday was excellent for hay, today isn't as good but it's still great. If today holds up or improves and tomorrow is ok then I'll have all baled tomorrow evening. If not, I'll count myself lucky that I have nothing more serious to worry about!
    All the best!
    Is mise le meas.
    Seán

Perhaps I should tell him that a meteorologist on a blog calling himself "Villain" calls me inaccurate. Irish farmers tell me normal meteorology is of little use to them.
    www.predictweather.com

Apologies, I read you wrong, I thought you said ME don't collect county data.

No problem
    No, I had light rain+sun predicted, and in summer 'light rain' can also mean dew/frost/haze/fog/mist= dry hot day. Rain gauges can't distinguish between different types of moisture in small amounts. The day gauges get eyes and brains is the day this will change.
    I can post the rain distrubtion chart I bought from you with your permission for those days to show that some of the areas were quite dark far too much so for any dew/frost/haze/fog/mist to be the cause and also my Rain gauge recorded 0 during those days and it can record as low as 0.2mm
    Well all I can say is that some on this forum seem to think I have got the season fairly correct so far. Here's an email from a Sligo farmer that I received today:

Perhaps I should tell him that a meteorologist on a blog calling himself "Villain" calls me inaccurate. Irish farmers tell me normal meteorology is of little use to them.
    www.predictweather.com

Thats funny I had two farmers call me about 8 days ago looking to know should they cut Hay and the both rang me on Saturday to thank me and I provided that service for free.

I'm not saying your forecasts are all inaccurate, I'm simply giving feedback based on my expierence and so far the reactions I have got from you include: Temps aren't accurate, allow 2 days error for rain, allow 80 to 100km error for rain location and now you say rain forecast could actually be dew or frost or haze or fog or mist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Sorry but I can't let that one go. You predict rain, but what you're really saying is that it could be dew or frost (which form in clear conditions, ie. the opposite to rainy weather), haze, which is nothing more than dry particles, such as dust, smoke, etc. suspended in the atmosphere, and hence will not contribute to a reading, and fog or mist, which will hardly ever lead to a reading of over 0.1mm.

So with your 2 day error, and all this too, you really have all angles covered, you can't be wrong - even when you're wrong! :rolleyes:

But then seeing your video on CO2 I'm not surpised, there are glaring examples of your lack of basic weather knowledge in that one alone. Maybe you know astronomical and tidal cycles inside out, but I can't take seriously someone who thinks it's a "nimbuscumulus" cloud, caused by the coming together of cirrus clouds, that causes rain. I could go on...

• Advertisement

I can post the rain distrubtion chart I bought from you with your permission for those days to show that some of the areas were quite dark far too much so for any dew/frost/haze/fog/mist to be the cause and also my Rain gauge recorded 0 during those days and it can record as low as 0.2mm!
    No, I'm not going to analyse each and every day, that would be unfair when I only claim 80-85%. If we're talking about Carlow, I had 10-15mm a possibility on one night(due to new moon), the 14th. There were scattered showers that day over most of the country. On the 16th, perigee day, I had less than 3mm forecast, again overnight. The days would have been clear.
    Thats funny I had two farmers call me about 8 days ago looking to know should they cut Hay and the both rang me on Saturday to thank me and I provided that service for free.
    There's no skill in giving away something that you have purchased from someone else.
    I'm not saying your forecasts are all inaccurate, I'm simply giving feedback based on my expierence and so far the reactions I have got from you include: Temps aren't accurate, allow 2 days error for rain, allow 80 to 100km error for rain location and now you say rain forecast could actually be dew or frost or haze or fog or mist!
    Yes, that's the nature of the service. But in the end the trends rule, not the minutae. Overall it has to be something that, from many many months beforehand, is going to turn out more useful than having nothing. Sure I may get 15% incorrect, we have to write that off. It's not as if I don't declare that beforehand. With that in mind someone buys my forecasts. It's no good crying afterwards. The day I am 85% incorrect, consistently, I would need to re-examine the method. The NZ metservice were publicly Gallop polled in 1998 by the national newspaper the NZ Herald and were given 37% accuracy, from only a day away. It was then that they published a list of reasons why weather was an inexact science. If that happened to me I'd be seeking reasons too.

www.predictweather.com

Su Campu wrote: »
    You predict rain, but what you're really saying is that it could be dew or frost (which form in clear conditions, ie. the opposite to rainy weather),..fog or mist, which will hardly ever lead to a reading of over 0.1mm.
    Dew and frost can occur overnight on new and full moons and dump quite a bit of water in a rain gauge. 0.2mm-0.4mm around here is usually referred to as nonrecordable. But it could also be fine drizzle.
    So with your 2 day error, and all this too, you really have all angles covered, you can't be wrong - even when you're wrong! :rolleyes:
    I think this 'right' and 'wrong' is something that you need to change your perception of. I only ever claim potential.
    ..I can't take seriously someone who thinks it's a "nimbuscumulus" cloud, caused by the coming together of cirrus clouds, that causes rain. I could go on...
    I'm glad you watch my blogs! My understanding, from regular meteorolgy textbooks is that cirrus slowly descend and form cumulonimbus. The process is about 36 hours. Are you saying this doesn't happen?

www.predictweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Ken, just as a matter of interest, what is the percentage of positive/negative responses (roughly) you get for your long-term forecasts? Are comments/criticisms on weather forums such as this one representatve of the whole/general view or just a portion of them? :)

Ken, just as a matter of interest, what is the percentage of positive/negative responses (roughly) you get for your long-term forecasts? Are comments/criticisms on weather forums such as this one representatve of the whole/general view or just a portion of them? :)
    Overwhelmingly positive. It is only meteorologists and astronomers who look for fault and of course find it. They cannot get past their own criteria which gives them a bias. I only care about the responses from farmers. I am on ski blogs, surf forums, all sorts, and the scene is the same as here. The people on the ground support what I am trying to provide and then along comes a 'regular' meteorologist who endeavours to shut me down. Sometimes it gets so heated the thread gets closed by the moderators. I think that is often the agenda of those who want to deflect attention away from their own lack of a good track record. Anyone is entitled to an opinion in this world - except when it comes to weather and when it comes to me, it seems..:)

Dew and frost can occur overnight on new and full moons and dump quite a bit of water in a rain gauge. 0.2mm-0.4mm around here is usually referred to as nonrecordable. But it could also be fine drizzle.

Non-recordable is called Trace, and is <0.05mm, much less than your figure. Rain guages can read as low as 0.1mm.
    I think this 'right' and 'wrong' is something that you need to change your perception of. I only ever claim potential.
    For me right is when someone says it will rain and it does rain. Wrong is when someone says it will rain, but it doesn't. Simple.
    I'm glad you watch my blogs! My understanding, from regular meteorolgy textbooks is that cirrus slowly descend and form cumulonimbus. The process is about 36 hours. Are you saying this doesn't happen?

Absolutely, it's the opposite. I don't know where you read that but it wasn't from a meteorology textbook. Cumulonimbus form from the lower atmosphere and rise throughout its depth to the tropopause, where they can spread out and form a cirrus anvil. This can happen in the space of less than 30 minutes. Though maybe in the southern hemisphere things happen the opposite way!! :pac:

Maybe the fact that your negative feedback comes primarily from meteorologists is that they can see the flaws in what you say, unlike the general public. I've no doubt that you may be gifted in predicting lunar and planetary cycles, my hat goes off to you for that, but I just cannot take what you say about weather seriously, and hence your forecasts are worthless imo. But you've a right to do what you do, fair play to you, and as long as people keep paying for your forecasts, you'll continue to do it. And for what it's worth, I'll keep watching your blogs, if not just for the way they make me smile! ;)

PS Do you ever sleep??!!

No, I'm not going to analyse each and every day, that would be unfair when I only claim 80-85%. If we're talking about Carlow, I had 10-15mm a possibility on one night(due to new moon), the 14th. There were scattered showers that day over most of the country. On the 16th, perigee day, I had less than 3mm forecast, again overnight. The days would have been clear.

I was actually talking about the 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st i.e. the weekend just gone, one of the best June weekends in years with record hours of sunshine. The rain distribution chart that was included in the forecast I bought shows the whole country and it has rain in areas for those days.
    There's no skill in giving away something that you have purchased from someone else.
    I didn't base my forecast on anything I bought I based it on weather charts that are free to the public, if I had based it on your forecast I would have told him to expect rain on Monday, Tuesday Wednesday and Sunday and not many hours of sunshine (something you include in your forecast).

You had 2 hours of sunshine forecast for last Saturday and 4 hours on Sunday, the best days sunshine I have ever seen.
    Yes, that's the nature of the service. But in the end the trends rule, not the minutae. Overall it has to be something that, from many many months beforehand, is going to turn out more useful than having nothing. Sure I may get 15% incorrect, we have to write that off. It's not as if I don't declare that beforehand. With that in mind someone buys my forecasts. It's no good crying afterwards. The day I am 85% incorrect, consistently, I would need to re-examine the method. The NZ metservice were publicly Gallop polled in 1998 by the national newspaper the NZ Herald and were given 37% accuracy, from only a day away. It was then that they published a list of reasons why weather was an inexact science. If that happened to me I'd be seeking reasons too.

So now along with
    Temps aren't accurate, allow 2 days error for rain, allow 80 to 100km error for rain location and now you say rain forecast could actually be dew or frost or haze or fog or mist!
    we have 80%-85% overall accuracy as well!

Overwhelmingly positive. It is only meteorologists and astronomers who look for fault and of course find it. They cannot get past their own criteria which gives them a bias. I only care about the responses from farmers. I am on ski blogs, surf forums, all sorts, and the scene is the same as here. The people on the ground support what I am trying to provide and then along comes a 'regular' meteorologist who endeavours to shut me down. Sometimes it gets so heated the thread gets closed by the moderators. I think that is often the agenda of those who want to deflect attention away from their own lack of a good track record. Anyone is entitled to an opinion in this world - except when it comes to weather and when it comes to me, it seems..

Just to be clear I have no agenda here or wish to shut you down in any way, I have praised you privately and publicly in the past but I had several people asking me if you were always correct and how accurate you actually were so I decided to buy your forecast and see for myself and the feedback I'm giving is based on the forecast I purchased.

The NZ Herald, being in the business of selling newspapers, will obviously try to find the most impacting headline. The same way you try to sell your business by quoting weather for very specific dates on the radio, leaving out all the talk of 2-day, 80-100km, rain-but-not-really-rain stuff. To a listener the preciseness sounds too good to be true, and ya know what.....it is. But not before they've bought your forecast.

I was actually talking about the 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st i.e. the weekend just gone, one of the best June weekends in years with record hours of sunshine. The rain distribution chart that was included in the forecast I bought shows the whole country and it has rain in areas for those days..
    Sorry, I had no rain for Carlow on those days.

if I had based it on your forecast I would have told him to expect rain on Monday, Tuesday Wednesday and Sunday and not many hours of sunshine (something you include in your forecast)...
    Well that's odd, it's not in my forecast for Carlow. Maybe there are two Carlows and you live in the other one :)
    You had 2 hours of sunshine forecast for last Saturday and 4 hours on Sunday, the best days sunshine I have ever seen.)...
    But very sunny days on either side. Once again, the 24-hr error either side. So I'd say pretty good:)

So now along with we have 80%-85% overall accuracy as well!..
    So you should if you're looking from a day away and using all the technology for that purpose. How is your accuracy from two years away?:confused:
    Just to be clear I have no agenda here or wish to shut you down in any way, I have praised you privately and publicly in the past but I had several people asking me if you were always correct and how accurate you actually were so I decided to buy your forecast and see for myself and the feedback I'm giving is based on the forecast I purchased.
    I would never ever say I am always correct. You could have saved yourself the expense because I could have easily answered that for nothing!

www.predictweather.com

The NZ Herald, being in the business of selling newspapers, will obviously try to find the most impacting headline. The same way you try to sell your business by quoting weather for very specific dates on the radio, leaving out all the talk of 2-day, 80-100km, rain-but-not-really-rain stuff. To a listener the preciseness sounds too good to be true, and ya know what.....it is. But not before they've bought your forecast.
    Hang on, that's a bit unfair. Firstly, the Herald was responding to the public clamour because the metservice missed some very extreme weather that wreaked damage, and the farmers were up in arms at having had no warnings, which their taxes were supposed to be paying for. As to your second point, I don't run the radio programmes, there's only so much time and I have to talk fast to get my points in. I can't be expected to cover everything. Besides, much of the time I am answering questions put to me.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I had no rain for Carlow on those days.
    I'm not just talking Carlow in my feedback, the rain distribution charts you provided show the whole country, do you need me to post one for you to see what I mean?
    Well that's odd, it's not in my forecast for Carlow. Maybe there are two Carlows and you live in the other one :)
    :D Your forecast shows:
    Monday 14th 14mm rain
    Tuesday 15th Trace of rain
    Wednesday 16th 3mm
    Sunday the 20th 1mm
    But very sunny days on either side. Once again, the 24-hr error either side. So I'd say pretty good:)
    So do you mean when that happens you shift all days 24hrs? bescause if you move the 2hrs forecast for Saturday and 4hrs for Sunday it was still wrong?

So you should if you're looking from a day away and using all the technology for that purpose. How is your accuracy from two years away?:confused:
    LOL where did I say a day away was what I forecast?? I forecast 5-7 days ahead and I didn't charge a penny for it.
    I would never ever say I am always correct. You could have saved yourself the expense because I could have easily answered that for nothing!
    No but you don't seem to want to accept any negative feedback, or admit that with so many error ranges its not that hard to look correct.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement